Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JDandSharks
    • By JDandSharks 11th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JDandSharks
    TalkTalk Trauma - Early Termination Fee
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    TalkTalk Trauma - Early Termination Fee 11th Oct 16 at 12:27 PM
    Hello all

I’d like some advice regarding a dispute I am currently having with TalkTalk. Around February of this year I was living in a rented property with my fianc!e. Our fibre optic router developed a fault which we promptly made TalkTalk aware of. We had several discussions with their technical support where various solutions were proposed (switch it on and off, reset etc.) which did not resolve the situation. They then suggested sending an engineer to test our line and the router. However, we were informed they didn’t have a slot available for an engineer to come and look at it until after a week. As my fianc!e is a teacher she relies on the internet to plan her lessons this was very unhelpful. In addition, her grandmother in Lithuania was ill and she was using Skype to contact family there. This was made clear to TalkTalk but they stuck to their original timescale of it taking a week to send an engineer.

Whilst discussing this issue I was informed I was out of contract and could upgrade. I stated that if there was a fault on the line it makes no difference. The agent responded that upgrading would probably resolve the situation and they could send a router within several days rather than having to wait a week. The agent also offered a better deal than I was currently receiving for the same price as I was currently paying as a form of compensation. As it was a quicker process than waiting for an engineer and it was a better deal as compensation I agreed. Within a few days a package arrived from TalkTalk; however there was no router included! Instead they sent a free view box and signal boosters. I then had to phone them and explain they needed to send a router and again go through the traumatic process of dealing with their services. Meanwhile my fianc!e cannot work at home and she ran up significant bills phoning Lithuania. This was explained to customer services who offered no compensation or sympathy. We asked for a manager to phone us back to escalate it further and we received no phone call.

Once the router arrived with the contract details I found that it was exactly the same contract for 18 months! I had not been sold a better deal at all. I phoned and spoke to several customer service agents and got nowhere. Again we were promised phone calls back from managers but did not receive one. As other providers would take around two weeks to provide us with a line we decided grudgingly to stick with this package as we had been without internet for nearly a week by then.

In August I moved out of the rented property as my fianc!e and I bought our own house. As it is a new build we are waiting for it to be constructed, and in the interim are living with my parents. I notified TalkTalk and asked could I freeze the contract. I was informed I could not, but I could continue to pay it and then inform them when we moved into our new house and they could transfer the service there. I accepted this as I had agreed to the contract and therefore was duty bound to pay it. I was not informed that if another provider took over the line in the rented property we were in, an early disconnection fee would be applied.

On Thursday last week my fianc!e received an email last week stating that we were being charged an early disconnection fee, as the line was been taken over. I phoned them yesterday and informed them that I was still willing to pay the contract and I fully intend to use their service in our new house once it is built, however currently I do not have a home to put the line in. Their proposed solutions are: 1) We ask the new tenants to take over our contract 2) We ask the landlord to keep their line and make the tenants take a new line with their new provider 3) We ask my parents to install a new line in their house.

Solution 1 and 2 are clearly unreasonable for obvious reasons. Option 3 is not feasible as my parents have been TalkTalk customers before and frankly detest them. In addition, they have just renovated and don’t want their walls damaging.

Throughout my conversation with the customer service agent and their manager they were polite but did not propose any reasonable solution. I have offered to carry on paying until our house is built (which should be complete in December) and then move their services into our new house. They currently do not want to consider this and keep pushing for me to get a line put in my parents’ house. In one instance I said I felt I was being extorted for money and the agent said ‘I know, I know’ almost validating the ridiculous position they were putting me in.
    A customer service manager is going to phone me back today, but I am hoping to get some advice before discussing it further.

Sorry for the long first post. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 11th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    anactuary
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    The only way my issue got resolved was to write to:

Head of Complaints - CEO's Office
    TalkTalk Group
    P.O. Box 344, Unit 19, Southampton, SO30 2NP

I would never use them again. Good luck.
    • zaax
    • By zaax 11th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    zaax
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    You can ask for subject access request - 'A subject access request (SAR) is simply a written request made by or on behalf of an individual for the information which he or she is entitled to ask for under section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). The request does not have to be in any particular form.' https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/subject-access-request/

Which means you will (hopefully) get a copy of what was said.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • JDandSharks
    • By JDandSharks 11th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JDandSharks
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    Thank you for your responses!

Anactuary did it just require one letter or multiple letters? If I may ask, what was the nature of your complaint?

I think it would be useful to have a record of the data to better argue my case.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 11th Oct 16, 6:24 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    anactuary
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:24 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:24 PM
    Just one letter and they then rang me about 3 times. I didn't agree to close the complaint until I had received the compensation (see below).

In brief, I had rung to leave after a price increase notification and they agreed there would be no penalty but I then received a letter stating there would be a penalty. I rang to complain and they said they would remove the penalty, but didn't. I asked for £100 compensation for the hassle of the incident. They offered £20 and we agreed on £50 (I may have been able to hold out for more but just wanted the whole thing finalised).

Like I said, I would never go back, even if it was completely free.

Assume a manager didn't ring?
    • JDandSharks
    • By JDandSharks 11th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JDandSharks
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    Well that gives me some hope I can challenge this.

I've looked through the terms and conditions and it says nothing about this type of scenario.

The manager said they would ring between 1800/1900 and as you assumed correctly, they haven't rang.

It's a horribly shoddy way to treat customers of 5 years who you are asking several hundred pounds from.
    • JDandSharks
    • By JDandSharks 11th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JDandSharks
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    Well I phoned them and was given two polar opposite responses to my complaint. The first advisor stated that I was not liable for the cancellation fees as what had occurred was an unsolicited cease on the account. They stated that only the account holder could end the account. Therefore the new tenants in the property would have to apply for a new line. We could keep our contract and once our house was built request the services be put in there. All I had to do was confirm I did not want the cease to go ahead and confirm this with cancellations.

The gentleman in cancellations almost laughed when I told him I had been told I could do this. He said we must pay as we have broken the contract unless we can give him a new address. He completely ignored the context or what I was saying. I then explained the situation and said we would refuse to pay as a lump sump as we want to be talk talk customers but we need until around December before we can get the line moved. If talk talk persisted in requesting the money we would have to make a complaint to the ceo office. He said he would put me through to a manager (despite speaking to one yesterday who did not phone me back). He said he would advise the manager to make a complaint to the CEOs office despite it being my understanding this needs to be done in writing. I waited 15/20 minutes on the line before being told talk talk were closed and being cut off.

So in a nutshell, the call went from being told I wasn't liable to I was.

I am worried if I don't cancel the DD they will take this amount. I feel due to the contradictory information I am being given and the appalling level of service, surely the CEOs office would be more sympathetic. Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
  • TalkTalk Company Representative
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    Hi JDandSharks,

I'm really sorry to read about your experience. So that we can look into this for you, can you please tweet us (@TalkTalk) or register and post on our Online Community so that we can check your account and have a look what's going on here?

Thanks,
    Becky
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • MickeyDaMouse
    • By MickeyDaMouse 13th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MickeyDaMouse
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    I'm currently on to talktalk now on webchat to Lindani. It's a nightmare and another example as to why I'm leaving asap. I'll save the webchat and upload it here. It's complete incompetence. I keep getting ignored and having to ask over and over for the same thing.

This company is a nightmare and this price hike is the perfect escape to a more reliable company.
    • MickeyDaMouse
    • By MickeyDaMouse 13th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MickeyDaMouse
    Requested cancellation at 11:18, finally got them to sort it at 11:56. What a waste of time and another reason as to why leaving talktalk is the best route. Poor service, poor product and I have little confidence in their security after past events.

Time to move to another provider. Even if I'm paying more I'll pay it for decent service and a professional company.
    • MickeyDaMouse
    • By MickeyDaMouse 13th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MickeyDaMouse
    The times don't show on this copy and paste but the email itself shows it took 40 minutes to resolve this request! The parts you can see me chasing up the rep is where they ignored me for a good few minutes each time. And even after all of this they couldn't confirm what date my service stops on with a copy and paste message minus the actual termination date.

Bottom line - talktalk is shockingly poor service. If you can get out with the 30 day notice due to price hikes, do it! There are plenty of good offers around at the moment and some good cash back deals too. I'm posting pretty much the same on twitter, Facebook and Reddit to ensure I help as many people as possible to escape.

info: Hi, welcome to TalkTalk. One of our agents will be with you shortly.

Changes to your account will only be made when confirmed in this chat. If for any reason your chat ends before receiving confirmation, please chat back.
    info: You are now through to Lindani. How can I help you?
    Andy: Hi, I have received a notification that your prices are rising and I wish to cancel my account with Talktalk without cancellation charges as a result of this please.
    Andy: Hello, are you there?
    Andy: Hello?
    info: A copy of this conversation will be sent to xxxxxxxxx
    Lindani: Hi, Andy.
    Andy: Hello
    Andy: Are you able to help with this?
    Lindani:
    How are you today.

Andy: Are you able to help with the cancellation please?
    Lindani: Yes.
    Andy: Good. Could you process the request and start my cancellation without charges please?
    Lindani:
    Are you happy with the services you are receiving up to the point you received the price change letter?

Andy: No not really. We have had a lot of outage on our broadband and speed loss. The 4G on my mobile is faster here than the internet from talk talk and we always have issues. I have been given support a few times but it never fixes it. So with the price increase I would like to leave without charge and try another provider. Thanks
    Andy: Hi, are you still there?
    Lindani: Yes.
    Andy: Are you able to resolve this please?
    Lindani:
    Yes i will be happy to .

Andy: I think it only fair to point out that I am recording this conversation and uploading it to a consumer website in the UK as proof of the poor service from talk talk.
    Andy: You appear to be ignoring me each time i ask a question and I keep having to ask if you're still there.
    Lindani:
    So I can access your account, I'll just need to complete a couple of security checks with you. Could you please confirm the following for me.

Andy: Could you answer my question and action my request please
    Andy: ok
    Lindani:
    Please confirm the account holders full name and home phone number?

Andy: Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Andy: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Lindani:
    Please can you confirm the <1st> and <4th> characters of your password?

Andy: xx xx
    Lindani:
    Thank you.

Lindani:
    I can confirm that i am able to cancel your account.

Andy: thank you
    Lindani: I'm glad you contacted us today, it's always worth checking to see if you're on the right plan for you and with the new fixed price plans you will be better off AND have the piece of mind that you keep that price fixed for the term of your contract.
    Andy: no thanks
    Andy: I just want to cancel
    Lindani:
    Okay

Andy: thanks
    Andy: Is it now cancelled?
    Lindani:
    Your services from TalkTalk will be disconnected on and you will be billed up to the date of disconnection. There will be no charges incurred for this disconnection. Please do not cancel your direct debit. We will do this for you once the final payment has been taken. You may incur a non-direct debit charge if you cancel your direct debit before the final bill is taken. You will receive your next bill as normal, any subsequent bills will confirm any remaining credits or balances owed. You cannot keep the same telephone number.

Andy: ok
    Andy: What date will it cancel on please?
    Lindani:
    It takes 30 days.

Andy: Is that 30 from today?
    Andy: Can you confirm it will all disconnect on the 12th of November 2016 please?
    Lindani:
    Yes.

Andy: Thnks
    Andy: will I get confirmation in writing and do I need to do anything else?
    Lindani: You will receive a email.
    Andy: ok thanks
    • Drayton359
    • By Drayton359 13th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drayton359
    Yes It took me a good 40-45 mins to get it cancelled, had to keep asking as they kept trying to keep me by offering different prices and asked in the end if the person can do it or do I have to speak to someone else and then wouldn't confirm the leave date and quoted 30 days, got a take over date from new supplier which is before the 30 days about a week before so see if that will change, TT will apparently phone me to confirm someone else is taking over so either they tell me when or I have to ask, I will probably ask and will conform again that it will be penalty free.

Oh and was told I can keep my number, don't know why you was told you wasn't, just tell you new supplier you want the same number if that's what you want.
    • MickeyDaMouse
    • By MickeyDaMouse 13th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MickeyDaMouse
    I've screenshot'd all the conversation and emailed it to myself. Any extra costs or loss due to talktalk's incompetence will see me make a claim against them.

I've asked for confirmation of the end of the contract and stuck to the rules throughout. If they mess things up it's on them.

Today's conversation is a fine example of why I'm leaving. The connectivity is useless and often sees me switching to 4G because their network lets me down. The fibre is slow (15mb tops). Customer service is shocking. They don't ever take proper ownership of a problem. And when you ask them to confirm something as simple as a cut off date they can't!! I spoke with Vodafone & BT so far. Both gave excellent service and could give exact dates etc. Interesting to hear I wasn't the first talktalk customer they've had enquiries from in the last 24 hours.

I would strongly urge the OP to keep up the fight. Talktalk have left me with no confidence in them. Poor product. Poor service. Good riddance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter