Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 11th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 27Thanks
    cashmonger
    How to be warm in bed without very heavy duvets?
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    How to be warm in bed without very heavy duvets? 11th Oct 16 at 12:25 PM
    I've had a hyperextended knee for maybe more than a year but it has been worse this year. I had no idea what it was but I have guessed through reading that is what it is.

It was made worse by playing sport but I remember in hindsight around winter last year how when my double heavy duvets were on I would wake up on my back with my leg in real pain feeling like it had been pushed backwards. I think this is what may have initially caused it and now it is even worse from sport so I don't want to use those heavy duvets again. I would use 1, 20 tog duvet and another 15 tog both stuffed into the duvet cover. It saw me well through the winter but it was very heavy on the body which I can't have now since I don't want to make my knee worse.

It is getting colder by the day so I need a solution quickly. Any ideas for keeping warm without having to put extra load on the body? Of course I don't want to waste money on heating being an avid money saver.

I am thinking an alternative would be to wear lots of extra layers in bed but they would have to be very baggy. I tried one pair of trousers last night and it was restrictive so I have to buy some more for the task I think.

Any other suggestions?
Page 2
    • hc25036
    • By hc25036 11th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    hc25036
    We found these pure wool duvets at a show - http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/. The sales talk seemed too got to be true, and they are not cheap, but we have the problem that I need less warmth and my wife needs a warmer duvet. We find the medium weight to punch well above what you'd expect and I'd guess the winter weight one would do you fine without being too heavy.

No links to the seller - just a slightly surprised normally cynical customer !
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 11th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 5,702 Thanks
    melanzana
    All night electric underblanket. You will never look back.

A light duvet will suffice. Those electric underblankets are the biz.

If you wake up in the night and feel chilly, just put on for an hour. Bliss.

They cost buttons to run.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 11th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    cashmonger
    All night electric underblanket. You will never look back.

A light duvet will suffice. Those electric underblankets are the biz.

If you wake up in the night and feel chilly, just put on for an hour. Bliss.

They cost buttons to run.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    Seems extremely wasteful to me and I would be afraid of electricution.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 11th Oct 16, 9:17 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    phil24_7
    My mum and dad have been using 1 for nearly 30 years. They are very safe to use.
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 11th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 7,412 Thanks
    tibawo
    Originally posted by cashmonger

DD1 has one. I bought hers after i had checked it had a safety cut out and the cost of running it. She is always cold e.g. i will be in t shirt and she is decked up in onesie and dressing gown, the works and is still moaning she is cold. if we put the heating on just for her, the rest of us suffer and the heating bill would triple. The blanket has worked out as a fab compromise.

we tried the over blanket/throw but although nice and toasty, just not the same impact as the underblanket.
    • Upsidedown Bear
    • By Upsidedown Bear 11th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 16,548 Posts
    • 72,971 Thanks
    Upsidedown Bear
    Get yourself one of these:
    http://www.militarykit.com/product_categories/sleeping_bags.htm

They go down to minus 50C.
    The Devil whispered in my ear "You are not strong enough to withstand the storm".
    Today I whispered in the Devil's ear "I am the storm".

In Solidarity: Andy Woodward - Jeremy Corbyn
    Cheap Coffee Lover

• Yorkie1
    • By Yorkie1 11th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 11,036 Posts
    • 20,633 Thanks
    Yorkie1
    Silk duvet - as someone else has already mentioned, not cheap but very very light
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 11th Oct 16, 10:57 PM
    • 1,724 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I've had a hyperextended knee for maybe more than a year but it has been worse this year. I had no idea what it was but I have guessed through reading that is what it is.
    See a doctor?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 12th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 4,402 Thanks
    Biggles
    Hungarian goose down from John Lewis. Really light and warm, the best of both worlds. Not cheap tho.
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 12th Oct 16, 9:53 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    They cost virtually nothing to run and are extremely safe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

693Posts Today

4,164Users online

Martin's Twitter