Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miró
    • By Miró 11th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 5,257Posts
    • 21,437Thanks
    Miró
    0 WOW
    Exit row seats & Cathay Pacific
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    0 WOW
    Exit row seats & Cathay Pacific 11th Oct 16 at 11:58 AM
    About to do a couple of long haul flights with Cathay Pacific (Boeing 777-300ER) and we have paid extra to have more legroom in exit row seats (59b and 59c). Just wondering if we will have access to the usual personal entertainment screens and especially a charging point for iPads?

Any info much appreciated.

PS. Have looked on Seat Guru but cannot find any info!
    Last edited by Miró; 11-10-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    "Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"
Page 1
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 11th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 258,648 Thanks
    DUKE
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    I've never flown Cathay Pacific, but exit row seats usually have the same as other seats as far as I'm aware. The screens down the side of your seat along with your table, you just pull it up as & when.
    Thanks everyone!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 11,449 Posts
    • 15,318 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    On some airlines the power options are not as comprehensive for exit row seats. For example, you might find the socket under the seat and shared with the person next to you. If there are any at all.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • pennylane99
    • By pennylane99 11th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 4,888 Thanks
    pennylane99
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    Exit row seats are usually narrower due to the tray tables being stored in the armrests
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 11th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:25 PM
    You've been conned.

Exit row seats on long haul are amongst the worst seats on the plane.

First of all you will be next to a toilet so constant doors opening and closing all flight and the occasional dodgy smell wafting past your way, and if you are lucky and it's a galley instead... constant chatting and slamming of cupboards etc. In addition, people will be stood where you are sat either chilling out, or waiting for the toilet/galley.

And, depending on the plane seating config, you could be the last to get your food meaning you'll be swindled with the tofu and rice no one else wanted.
    Last edited by Mr Wangers Wang; 11-10-2016 at 6:29 PM.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 11th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    fifeken
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    Exit row seats on long haul are amongst the worst seats on the plane.
    Originally posted by Mr Wangers Wang
    Nonsense, I go for them at every opportunity, but like the OP, I go for ones near the galley with no toilets around.

Great for getting up and wandering around and for popping over to the galley outwith serving times for more food and drink or a chat. Get rid of your meal tray once you've finished eating either at the galley or in the space in front of you.
    Once the seat belt sign is off, put a bag on the floor in front of you where people might otherwise stand.
    All this and a massive amount of leg room.
    Only drawback for the OP is having to pay for them.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 11,449 Posts
    • 15,318 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    I am tall with long legs so use them if they are available but I would agree, apart from the legroom they aren't great. Usually next to the toilets or galley and they are usually freezing cold too. That, plus the fact that they are often next to the bulkhead seats that screaming babies in bassinets use.

If you put a bag in front of you where people stand, as I have seen people do, be prepared for people to trip over it when they walk past, or the flight attendants to shift it out the way to an overhead locker half a plane away while you are asleep.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    • 17,104 Posts
    • 6,878 Thanks
    richardw
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    I've seen someone with one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/folding-stool-polypropylene-300mm/5076p in a fire exit seat, after take off, to put their feet up.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 12th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    We've recently flown on British Airways 747s to America and back and paid extra to have exit row seats. They were the best economy seats on the plane, and nowhere near toilets or galley. In fact, they were just behind the Club World cabin, whose occupants had paid a hell of a lot more for no more legroom. It wasn't cold in these seats either, so I would recommend them to anyone.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 12th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 4,502 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    No more legroom in Club World?
    travelover
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 17,104 Posts
    • 6,878 Thanks
    richardw
    We've recently flown on British Airways 747s to America and back and paid extra to have exit row seats. They were the best economy seats on the plane, and nowhere near toilets or galley. In fact, they were just behind the Club World cabin, whose occupants had paid a hell of a lot more for no more legroom. It wasn't cold in these seats either, so I would recommend them to anyone.
    Originally posted by ibizafan
    Were you in row 28 or 29 of this aircraft http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/b747-400/14f52j36w235y.html ?

or row 33 http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/b747-400/14f70j30w185y.html ?
    Last edited by richardw; 12-10-2016 at 8:14 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 12th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 5,823 Thanks
    malkie76
    No more legroom in Club World?
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    73' vs 31'
    Legal team on standby
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 12th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    Originally posted by ibizafan
    Off topic I know but I love BA 747's, flew out to Vancouver on one recently, the aircraft was about 24 years old.

Be a real shame when those girls are retired.

I was on a BA 787 from Abu Dhabi a few weeks back and though it's a brand new, gorgeous aircraft, (the pilot told us it had flown only 12 times) give me a good old 747 any day of the week!
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 12th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,374 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Off topic I know but I love BA 747's, flew out to Vancouver on one recently, the aircraft was about 24 years old.

Be a real shame when those girls are retired.

I was on a BA 787 from Abu Dhabi a few weeks back and though it's a brand new, gorgeous aircraft, (the pilot told us it had flown only 12 times) give me a good old 747 any day of the week!
    I'm flying in one at Christmas and I still get a kick out of flying in a 'double decker'. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its refurbished one, rather than one thats seen better days !
    Looking to lose 30lb by 28th April 2017. 16lb gone since 13th June, 14lb to go.

• Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 12th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    I'm flying in one at Christmas and I still get a kick out of flying in a 'double decker'. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its refurbished one, rather than one thats seen better days !
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    It's a beautiful machine. Thrown back into your seat as it roars down the runway, I'm not much of a plane spotter but I sure know how to appreciate a good old 747
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 11,015 Posts
    • 7,369 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    It's a beautiful machine. Thrown back into your seat as it roars down the runway, I'm not much of a plane spotter but I sure know how to appreciate a good old 747
    Do you remember the 707?
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 12th Oct 16, 10:07 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    Ha ha, a little before my time I'm afraid, do you?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 13th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 11,015 Posts
    • 7,369 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Ha ha, a little before my time I'm afraid, do you?
    I never got to fly in one, although they were operating alongside 747s when I started flying... 727s were still widely used in those days (they were the main 'warhorse' operated by Ethiopian Airlines then), but 737s were the exciting ones at take-off.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 13th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    ibizafan
    We were on seats 28H and 28J on the BA 747. Easily the best economy seats on the plane. You get as much legroom as Club World but cannot lie flat of course. I am quite happy to forgo lying flat for one night, as I don't sleep well on a plane anyway. We were served first as well, which is always a bonus.
    • chong168
    • By chong168 13th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    chong168
    About to do a couple of long haul flights with Cathay Pacific (Boeing 777-300ER) and we have paid extra to have more legroom in exit row seats (59b and 59c). Just wondering if we will have access to the usual personal entertainment screens and especially a charging point for iPads?

Any info much appreciated.

PS. Have looked on Seat Guru but cannot find any info!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    The entertainment screen is a foldable unit which is housed in the armrest during takeoff and landing times. The same is with the mini dining desk. CX 777-300ER planes have USB charging ports below the screen in every normal (Economy) seat but I think your port might situated in the armrest area. The power output might just be enough for a slow charge for an iPad though.

Remember to request for an extra blanket (or just wear an additional piece of clothing) as the exit row seat can be slightly colder due to it being near the exit doors.

Don't forget to ask for Haagen Dazs ice cream and/or Nissin cup noodles when you feel peckish, its available throughout the duration of the flight!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,597Posts Today

5,618Users online

Martin's Twitter