Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• seneca
    • By seneca 11th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 1Thanks
    metal mosaic advice needed
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    metal mosaic advice needed 11th Oct 16 at 11:44 AM
    Never attempted a mosaic before, so thought I'd seek some advice. Plan is a 7cm mosaic stripe around a bathroom between main wall tiles and a 30cm wide column up behind the shower. I've really gone in at the deep end with my first attempt! The metal bricks are not capped tile pieces, but actual solid aluminum section that have been polished along with solid glass pieces. The problem is the metal sections are U shaped profile with a hollow space behind.
    Once main wall tiling (400x150, 10mm thick stacked ceramic) is complete, then fix the mosaic (8mm thick) into the space. For the main tiles I planned to use Mapei Keraflex Maxi S1 (white) and Mapei Keracolour SF grout (white). I am wondering whether this is suitable for the metal glass mosaic, as I would like to.
    I would like to use mosaic mesh/board to make my strips up before hand which would make up the 2mm difference between the main tile and allow the strips to be positioned and lined up stiff before fixing. Downside is the mesh would make the area of adhesive contact with the metal edges even less. Is there a better way to get an more solid fixing to the wall? How strong is the mosaic mesh adhesive? could I add something to make it hold better? As I'll be doing it myself I don't mind spending a bit extra on materials if I get a better result and make the job a bit easier. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 11th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 1,143 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    Mix up a fairly stiff batch of Keraflex and fill the void in the channel. Then you can treat the sections the same as the lumps of glass.

One word of caution - You may find that the alkalinity of the adhesive & grout etches in to the aluminium if it isn't lacquered. You'll know if/when it does as the aluminium will turn white and powdery where the adhesive & grout make contact.
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

£2 Savers Club (No. 73) - £226 ______ £1 jar - £207
    • andyhop
    • By andyhop 11th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    I'd be putting them straight in the bin

You have no chance of getting them flat on the surface . The tiles are not equal depth

You have no chance in packing them with grout

You could back butter the tiles to fill the void but it's going to get messy

Use mosaic mesh
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

343Posts Today

3,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • BBC weather just told us clocks going back means "everyone gets an extra hour's sleep". Hmmm not if you've young children or on nightshift.

• Pension cold callers and misselling ruins lives. This petition is trying to stop them sign if u agree.

• Thank you Microsoft (Tom)

• Follow Martin