Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • m4tthall
    • By m4tthall 11th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    m4tthall
    Account Charges
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    Account Charges 11th Oct 16 at 11:20 AM
    Hi,

I had a call from Barclays today. I had previously banked with them for about 20 years but switched to a new account approximately 4 or 5 years ago. I thought I had closed this account at some point but according to the person that called I apparently had two withdrawals on the account back in 2012 and 2013 for £50 and £80. I don't recall making these and am still pretty confident I had balanced the account before discontinuing to use. Anyway, they have suggested I have now incurred a number of charges and suggest the amount owed is in excess of £600. They also suggested they sent some letters about this, which I certainly don't recall receiving otherwise I would have paid, back in 2014.

The person said they would do some more investigation but this has come as a complete surprise. For my entire duration of having this account I don't believe I was ever overdrawn and I would have expected that if there were some error on my behalf they would have contacted me more persistently even if they did send out letters in 2014, which again, I do not recall receiving.

If they come back demanding payment of the entire amount do I have any options?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 11th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    I would know if I had closed an account or not and for the life of me cannot see how anyone would not know this !!

That part said I would not remember about withdrawing money from 2 -3 months back let alone 4 - 5 years so find that part hard to believe I am afraid.

You could look at any package account fee's and or PPI on the account held and then if that was applicable have it offset against the money owed as they state, If you have neither here then it will be a case of proving this and your very good memory alone will not be accepted as evidence in order to see the amount quashed.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • m4tthall
    • By m4tthall 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    m4tthall
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    I agree I should remember whether I had closed the account or not. I thought I had but have nothing to hand that can prove this fact. I certainly lost my access to online banking and have not received any further communication, debit cards, cheque books, or anything like that for years.
    • Joe_Bloggs
    • By Joe_Bloggs 11th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    Joe_Bloggs
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    This is a con trick in progress. Do not give away any personal information. I have had the same targeted information but I was never a Barclays customer. They are fishing for vulnerable people to exploit.
    J_B.
    OFT work merger decisions 2012:- MSE too small to be worth financial consideration ?
    • m4tthall
    • By m4tthall 11th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    m4tthall
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    I verified the number was correct through the Barclays website before contacting them back.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 11th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 3,324 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    alanq
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    I verified the number was correct through the Barclays website before contacting them back.
    Originally posted by m4tthall
    Fine provided you avoided the ‘no hang-up scam’ by allowing sufficient time to elapse or using a different phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,138Posts Today

6,044Users online

Martin's Twitter