Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shopaholicz
    • By shopaholicz 11th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 628Posts
    • 415Thanks
    shopaholicz
    what's cheapest to run central heating or Dyson am09?
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    what's cheapest to run central heating or Dyson am09? 11th Oct 16 at 10:18 AM
    Hi,
    Now the weather is turning colder I'm hoping someone on here can help me work out which is going to be cheapest to run, our central heating or a Dyson am09.

We have a large 5 bedroom house with 10 central heating radiators. Last year we had heating on 2 hours in mornings and 3 hours in evenings.

This year we now have 2 adults at home 24/7, so the heating would need to be on for considerably longer, thinking 8am-8pm on low?

I've recently bought a Dyson am09. The front room has double doors, which can be shut and we could use the am09 to heat this one room and leave the central heating same timings as last year. Or we could put heating on 8am-8pm.

Can anybody explain how I can work out which would be cheaper to run please?
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!
Page 1
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 11th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    Thought Dyson did vacuum cleaners. What is it?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • shopaholicz
    • By shopaholicz 11th Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    shopaholicz
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    2.0kw hot and cold fan heater
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyson-303035-01-AM09-black-nickel/dp/B00YCQ7Z88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476177832&sr=8-2&keywords=am09
    Last edited by shopaholicz; 11-10-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 11th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    Thanks, that will use exactly 2kw every hour it's on. It will be 100% efficient.
    Hard to say how many kw/h your heating system will use. There are lots of variables. Standard of insulation, temps set in other rooms - the list goes on. Perhaps try to get some readings over a few typical days.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • stevegrass777
    • By stevegrass777 11th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    stevegrass777
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    Gas is normally cheaper than electricity,so I would use the heating,put tvr's on all your rads apart from bathroom and room with wall stat.
    Turn all the tvrs down so your heating only heats the one room you want and bathroom.
    Electric fan heaters are normally expensive to run.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    • 15,015 Posts
    • 9,367 Thanks
    molerat
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    Considering in mid winter I heat my whole 3 bed detached in N Scotland to 20 deg 24/7 with as much hot water as I can use for less than the price of running a single 1.5 Kw electric heater for the same period I know which option I would choose
    Last edited by molerat; 11-10-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • mackemps3
    • By mackemps3 11th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    mackemps3
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    That Dyson heater costs more than my last years winter electric bill running storage heaters on e7.

I would use the central heating as it will be cheaper than peak electric
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    Can't you just turn down (or off) the radiators in the rooms which are not being used?

Remember, if you are only heating specific rooms (by any method) to keep your doors closed.
    • shopaholicz
    • By shopaholicz 12th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    shopaholicz
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I think I've made my choice, to leave the heating on 8am-8pm and try and turn down radiators in unused bedrooms.
    • Pete9501
    • By Pete9501 13th Oct 16, 2:54 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Pete9501
    Can't you just turn down (or off) the radiators in the rooms which are not being used?

Remember, if you are only heating specific rooms (by any method) to keep your doors closed.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    Then someone walks into a cold room, there is a blast of warm moist air forced into the room, the door closed and it settles on a cold spot causing mould particularly on an outside wall. Low heat in all rooms and doors open for ventilation for me.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 13th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    Hmm - if you can afford that Dyson then you can afford to waste money using it. It costs 10 times more than it should!
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 14th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 5,841 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    Pincher
    Does it work by creating a worm hole into the heart of a sun, and channels heat from it? And it needs 2kW to sustain the worm hole?
    And is it called a solar heat pump?

If not, don't be silly, keeping using gas central heating.
    What happens if you push this button?
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 14th Oct 16, 1:06 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    Dyson are the masters at re-inventing something (usually poorly) and making us believe that we really need it and that it is much better than what we had before.

1) Cleaners, poor to work on/repair. cheaply made. Expensive parts. All the dust flies in the air when you empty the cannister. Unless you do it outside..going through a careful procedure. I use the empty into another bag first method. They are the only vacuum I have had to clean out....with a another vacuum (it seemed perverted). In fact, they are the only vacuum I have had to take apart into bits to wash clean!

2) Hand Driers: Eventually become full of mould if not cleaned often. Plastic starts to degrade. Pools of rancid water inside and most of it drips onto the floor. You have to carefully slide your hands in without touching the rank bacteria infested sides.

3) Dyson Blower/Heater. No more efficient than any other fan heater, costs 3 times as much.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 14-10-2016 at 3:39 AM.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 14th Oct 16, 4:42 AM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 23,061 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    My heating is on 24 hours a day, using a thermostatic timeswitch. I am always on the cheapest gas electric rate. I never use electric for heating.

Settings are 18C in morning, 18C in the evening. 12 during the day. If the adults need to get warm, they bg99er off to the library. 12C overnight. It has come on a couple of times this week and keeps my toes warm.
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • redux
    • By redux 14th Oct 16, 4:54 AM
    • 15,558 Posts
    • 18,361 Thanks
    redux
    It
    2) Hand Driers: Eventually become full of mould if not cleaned often. Plastic starts to degrade. Pools of rancid water inside and most of it drips onto the floor. You have to carefully slide your hands in without touching the rank bacteria infested sides.
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    And some of them ought to require users to wear ear defenders
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 11,449 Posts
    • 15,317 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Dyson are the masters at re-inventing something (usually poorly) and making us believe that we really need it and that it is much better than what we had before..
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    I think they pinched that concept from Ford
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 14th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi,
    Now the weather is turning colder I'm hoping someone on here can help me work out which is going to be cheapest to run, our central heating or a Dyson am09.

We have a large 5 bedroom house with 10 central heating radiators. Last year we had heating on 2 hours in mornings and 3 hours in evenings.

This year we now have 2 adults at home 24/7, so the heating would need to be on for considerably longer, thinking 8am-8pm on low?

I've recently bought a Dyson am09. The front room has double doors, which can be shut and we could use the am09 to heat this one room and leave the central heating same timings as last year. Or we could put heating on 8am-8pm.

Can anybody explain how I can work out which would be cheaper to run please?
    Originally posted by shopaholicz
    Electricity probably costs you about 10p-15p per kWh

Gas should cost you about 2.5p per kWh

Electrical heaters are almost 100% efficient

Worst central heating system is probably 60% efficient.

But I'm not sure that is what you are asking.

What you appear to be asking is which is cheaper to operate. A 5litre, V12 engine or a 1 litre, 3 cylinder turbocharged ectotec engine.
    ... But the 5litre V12 will not be exceeding 5mph, whereas the 1.0l fiesta will be driven flat out.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 14th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    lstar337
    But I'm not sure that is what you are asking.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I think it is the common "heating 1 room vs many rooms" type question, but with a little "electricity or gas?" thrown in for added flavour.

Sometimes there can be an advantage for using a gas fire (even with their inefficiencies) to heat a single room instead of CH which could be needlessly heating the whole house, but I would think all of that advantage goes out the window when you are talking about an electric heater. With the possible exception of wrapping yourself in a low Wattage electric blanket.

The OP is best off using the CH but lowering the output of radiators in unused rooms to keep the chill off and reduce to likelihood of mould.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 14th Oct 16, 1:24 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    When these Dyson heaters first came out, we asked a very helpful salesman in our local family run electrical shop if this would be better than our current oil-filled (plug in) radiator for heating our conservatory. He advised us to stick with the oil filled radiator on the grounds that not only would it be much cheaper to run, it was quiet (no blowers) and would maintain the heat level much more efficiently.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 14th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    The OP is best off using the CH but lowering the output of radiators in unused rooms to keep the chill off and reduce to likelihood of mould.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    Istar337 makes a very important point here. If you just heat one room in a house you can increase the chance of mould and damp in other areas of the house.

Warm air can hold more moisture then cold air. If you heat one room, the warm air in that room will hold a lot more water vapour. Once that warm air gets into the other parts of the unheated house, it will cool very quickly. It then cannot retain all the water vapour and it condensates as water on the coldest surface available, a wall or a window. Overtime this will cause ongoing damp patches and mould.

You would be surprised how much water vapour we produce in our houses on a daily basis.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,968Posts Today

6,109Users online

Martin's Twitter