Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 11th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    • 356Posts
    • 32Thanks
    ktcoil
    ideas to get warm in office
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:11 AM
    ideas to get warm in office 11th Oct 16 at 9:11 AM
    Hi guys

We currently work in a new office, we used to be in a large office and in winter I used a heater, this couldn't be brought into this office as smaller, is there something cheapish that can be used that's small or hand type warmer, maybe usb or plug but nothing too big, I like heat.

thanks
Page 1
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 11th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Zola.
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    How about another layer of clothing? Radical I know

If not maybe some star jumps
    • GBNI
    • By GBNI 11th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 469 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    GBNI
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    I have a hot water bottle to keep me warm in work.
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 11th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 8,375 Thanks
    WestonDave
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    You need to be careful taking electrical stuff into work if that would breach their safety policies. That said I keep a heat pad that I got from Boots in my office which I generally use if I get a stiff shoulder from time to time. That runs on a very low power and doesn't get that hot but is enough background warmth for what I need. Having a feeling it was something like a Slumberdown brand.
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    Several handwarmers available for outdoor activities.
    Do a Google search
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 11th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    • 6,814 Posts
    • 258,737 Thanks
    DUKE
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    A nice fluffy blanket.

Lidl sell the gel bottles that you pop in the microwave.

Or go to work in your onesie.

Failing that get a physical job.
    Thanks everyone!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 12th Oct 16, 2:43 AM
    • 12,018 Posts
    • 11,407 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:43 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 2:43 AM
    Have you asked HR (if you have one) about getting the company to install heating? It could be a H&S thing if they're leaving the room to get too cold- there are certain temperatures you are not allowed to get to in a building used for work purposes.
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 12th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    ktcoil
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    we have aircon and heating unit but some people always have the aircon on and a couple of us get cold, without being nasty they are quite big so get hot quickly.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 12th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 20,527 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    I make lots of hot drinks to warm my hands on, and jog on the spot while I wait for the kettle to boil to get my circulation going.
    I get really cold feet so take an extra pair of socks to put on if needed and have got a massive fluffy cardigan that I keep under my desk to put on over the top of the rest of my clothes, when it gets really cold.
    I work with a bunch of men and they don't feel the cold like I do so would be happier to have the heating on a lower setting. I get round that by slowly turning it up throughout the day, so they don't even notice and acclimatise like lobsters being boiled
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 13th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    My partner has a zippo hand warmer. It's filled up with lighter fluid and will stay warm all day. He loves it. It's small and compact but gives out a lot of heat.

Also, wear cashmere. Layer up with it as much as you can. Have regular hot drinks, even just hot water. A plug-in heated throw/blanket would be even better.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 13th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    pattycake
    Get one of the blanket type shawls which are very fashionable again this year. You can then drape it around your shoulders for an extra layer.

I'm wearing one now as I type!
    • amiaspden
    • By amiaspden 13th Oct 16, 5:12 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 2,277 Thanks
    amiaspden
    I wear long johns or thermal tights underneath trousers, and a thermal t-shirt underneath my top. I keep fingerless gloves in my drawer and a large zip-up fleece on the back of my chair. My office isn't really cold, but the air conditioning causes some nasty draughts.
    • Dill
    • By Dill 13th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    Dill
    Not exactly a cheap option but I saw Joanna Lumley put heat patches on before she went out into the cold
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 15th Oct 16, 12:54 AM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    A few key pieces of clothing purchased from likes of mountain warehouse. As a female some of their clothing were quite OK for office life.

Up the hot beverages!

Saying were oi! you raised in a barn to people who left internal doors open.

This is what got me though winter in a depot with shutters open, in a 60's possibly older building with the old tampon incinerators etc in the ladies.
    Last edited by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt; 15-10-2016 at 12:55 AM. Reason: .
    Patience is a necessary ingredient of genius
    • FrankRizzo
    • By FrankRizzo 15th Oct 16, 6:50 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    FrankRizzo
    My partner has a zippo hand warmer. It's filled up with lighter fluid and will stay warm all day. He loves it. It's small and compact but gives out a lot of heat.

Also, wear cashmere. Layer up with it as much as you can. Have regular hot drinks, even just hot water. A plug-in heated throw/blanket would be even better.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Is the zippo safe to use in the office? Do you not smell fumes?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 15th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 11,461 Posts
    • 15,336 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by ripplyuk

The fact that people are quite happy to fill a metal container with petrol, set fire to it, then put it in their pocket amazes me.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 2,127 Thanks
    sheramber
    Our office had a similar problem so we swopped seats- those who wanted the air conditioning sat underneath it and those who felt the cold sat away from it.

Everybody was happy then.
    • ktcoil
    • By ktcoil 26th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    ktcoil
    Seen this would this be a possible help for me? I like heat..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B011R8888E/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_ reviews&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 27th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Is the zippo safe to use in the office? Do you not smell fumes?
    Originally posted by FrankRizzo
    He often works in an unheated office and has never noticed any sort of fumes/smell from it, or leakage. Seems safe enough.

He's had it for over two years now with no problems.
    Last edited by ripplyuk; 27-10-2016 at 11:25 PM.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 27th Oct 16, 11:49 PM
    • 9,444 Posts
    • 19,317 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Be careful what heaters you use as they may invalidate the insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

431Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter