Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Lily_
    • By Lily_ 11th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Can I conduct the searches
    • #1
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    Can I conduct the searches 11th Oct 16 at 8:42 AM
    Hi there,
    my partner and I are buying a terraced house, which has a commercial status. We have applied for change of use and we will be getting a residential mortgage for it. However the solicitors are saying that they will have to charge more for searches, as the property is currently commercial. I don't understand why that is. Also they seem to be quite slow and we are pressed for time, so I'm wondering whether I can start the searches myself...

    Could I initiate Environmental, Water and Drainage and Local Authority searches and then pass them onto the solicitor to examine?

Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,673 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    Are the searches likely to be any slower than your planning application?
    • dsdhall
    • By dsdhall 11th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • #3
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    Notwithstanding the point that Davidmcm makes, it would make sense to ask the solicitor if they would accept searches initiated by someone else (i.e. you).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,946Posts Today

7,397Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: £1 currently buys ?1.15, where will it be this July? (I know no one knows, this is testing sentiment)

  • I'll never change!!! Oh you mean into my running gear - I did indeed they were very accomodating and let me use a l?

  • RT @MoneySavingExp: What would you ask pensions minister Richard Harrington? Reply with your questions and we'll be put them to him next w?

  • Follow Martin