Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Oct 16, 8:13 AM
    • 1,386Posts
    • 1,486Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    VENT: October is Free Wills Month - Scam?
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:13 AM
    VENT: October is Free Wills Month - Scam? 11th Oct 16 at 8:13 AM
    try going to the web site http://freewillsmonth.org.uk/
    Seems that whatever postcode you enter, you are told "Sorry - we're not in your area at the moment"
    Really? Is this just an email address collecting service so that you can be sold an expensive will-making service in 4 weeks time?
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 15,613 Posts
    • 11,323 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    It came up with 6 solicitors in my area (including the solicitor I used for my conveyancing last year, so I may go with them).
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 11th Oct 16, 9:01 AM
    • 14,806 Posts
    • 13,448 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:01 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:01 AM
    I put in some false details but used a real postcode near me ... I had 3 Glasgow-based solicitors returned as results.

Not that I need to sort my will ... we did ours a few years ago under the Will-Aid scheme.
    • Paully232000
    • By Paully232000 11th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    Paully232000
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    I tried it as well with my postcode and came up with 5 solicitors near to me. Also I put in my old postcode and a few came up including the solicitors I used a few years ago during free wills week.

Must be just none near you.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    Buckingham palace - SW1A 1AA
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    Thanks everyone but this does not just work for my current postcode and none of my previous ones in London either. Just tried Buckingham palace SW1A 1AA and still get told none are available.
    Ditto Cambridge CB1 0AA

However, if I use glasgow (G1 1HR) or LeicesterI get results. Clearly not a London or Southern thing AFAICS....

Oh well, better pay money to a solicitor I suppose...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • Paully232000
    • By Paully232000 11th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    Paully232000
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    Thanks everyone but this does not just work for my current postcode and none of my previous ones in London either. Just tried Buckingham palace SW1A 1AA and still get told none are available.
    Ditto Cambridge CB1 0AA

However, if I use glasgow (G1 1HR) or LeicesterI get results. Clearly not a London or Southern thing AFAICS....

Oh well, better pay money to a solicitor I suppose...
    Originally posted by SpammyTheSpammer
    You might be right as if I use my old SG6 postcode, the nearest solicitor is in Bedford.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    Aaaah!
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    After wasting a load of time on this spotted that the postcode entry thing is a bit poor.
    I get results if I just enter the first part but not if I enter the whole thing. Unfortunately, none of them are anywhere near me.
    So, nice idea, but no use....
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:34 PM
    Hmm ... Bod told me he used a full postcode when he tried this morning.

He asked me to post this reply because MSE have perma-banned him yet have given no reason whatsoever.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 11th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 29,908 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    Won't work in my area so why does it say try another area?
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    • 15,613 Posts
    • 11,323 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Hmm ... Bod told me he used a full postcode when he tried this morning.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yes, full postcode was what I used and it worked fine - unfortunately, what it doesn't do is tell you whether the solicitors have any appointments, the one I hoped to use had already allocated all of their available slots.

Bit annoying about Bod, MSE's use of PPR seems somewhat arbitrary at times.
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 12th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    If you have no luck with the free will site have you tried looking at Will Aid. Firms are booking now for November. It's not free but for a suggested donation to charity, which is less than usual firms rates. They suggest £95 single will or £150 mirror wills. Saves being hassled to leave a legacy which I think is part of the Free Will idea.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Oct 16, 12:13 AM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Spotted this also and enquired, seems you add a donation in the will and the charity your donating to pay the fee instead.

Maybe to play on your concience to donate more than the will costs at the solicitors? Its coming from your estate not your pocket?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 13th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 2,003 Thanks
    daytona0
    Looks like they have gradually removed their search option since 2009...

http://web.archive.org/web/20091028132056/http://www.freewillsmonth.org.uk/

If you look at this page you can see that in 2009 they had a dropdown of different locations but London and Cambridge did not feature on the list. Other years it was just Scottish towns, so I think you will be out of luck

So in a nutshell, yes it is legitimate, yes it is charity-based and no I would not automatically assume that your details will be sold on, but they will probably put you into a database and contact you October 2017 with the same offer!
    ent.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 15th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    knightstyle
    We used https://www.actionaid.org.uk/get-involved/will-aid?gclid=CImQ25e93c8CFeUV0wod8moN5w a few years ago, is this the same thing?
    You pay £95 for 1 will, £150 for a pair and all the money goes to charity.
    The solicitors we used matched our donation as well.
    Last edited by knightstyle; 15-10-2016 at 7:55 PM. Reason: correct website
    • SolentGal
    • By SolentGal 18th Oct 16, 5:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    SolentGal
    Will Aid month is November apparently. Not if you live in or around Southampton. I put my postcode in the search facility and all that came up were several firms on the Isle of Wight and the next nearest was 24 miles away near Bournemouth. It would appear that all the Solicitors in Southampton are so impoverished that they cannot afford to take part in Will Aid month!
    • AngelaClare
    • By AngelaClare 23rd Nov 16, 6:25 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AngelaClare
    I tried it in November was asked to pay £95. Free wills is very misleading
    • AngelaClare
    • By AngelaClare 23rd Nov 16, 6:27 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AngelaClare
    Free Wills November. Misleading
    I followed the link regarding Free Wills November, I was contacted by a Solicester, who informed me I had to pay £95. Very misleading.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 23rd Nov 16, 9:24 AM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Although the title is misleading if you read the blurb you will find that the solicitor gets nothing for making the wills so it is free!
    But you are asked, told to, make a donation to a charity in order to qualify for the "free" will writing.
    We were under no illusions about what we were doing. If you want a free will there are plenty of free forms on line you can use to DIY a will, ours was complicated due to us having lived abroad and still having a French property.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 23rd Nov 16, 9:51 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    DoaM
    When we did it a few years ago, there was no insistence on making a donation to charity, but it was expected. (In our case it was £125 ... solicitor fees would likely have been higher anyway).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 25th Nov 16, 10:32 AM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 1,486 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    It's beginning to sound
    VERY scammy to me...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,102Posts Today

5,433Users online

Martin's Twitter