Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PoshButNice
    • By PoshButNice 11th Oct 16, 1:51 AM
    • 106Posts
    • 102Thanks
    PoshButNice
    The Evil of Windows 10.
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:51 AM
    The Evil of Windows 10. 11th Oct 16 at 1:51 AM
    Seems to me windows 10 is tying you into only using (and hence buying) Microsoft applications.

For example try changing your default photo viewer to anything other the the Windows app or the few other apps they list. If the app is not on that list, as many free photo apps are, you are shafted.
Page 2
    • quidsinquentin
    • By quidsinquentin 11th Oct 16, 1:50 PM
    • 37,557 Posts
    • 74,396 Thanks
    quidsinquentin
    There you go..Load of cobblers if you ask me. Why would anyone want to download something that doesn't work? Oh sure it'll work eventually after you've waited 20 hours for it download and fixed the myriad problems associated with the damn thing..

Probably very nice, if you haven't had a heart attack by the time you reach the perfection you seek.
    Originally posted by tommix
    I wish someone would take out a legal case against MS over this issue. My tablet was less than a year old and a present. It worked fine - perfectly - before W10, and I was happy with it.

It sits on my desk now like a dead thing. And it !!!!es me off no end.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 11th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 32,924 Posts
    • 135,220 Thanks
    tommix
    I wish someone would take out a legal case against MS over this issue. My tablet was less than a year old and a present. It worked fine - perfectly - before W10, and I was happy with it.

It sits on my desk now like a dead thing. And it !!!!es me off no end.
    Originally posted by quidsinquentin
    I suppose you could place your morning Coffee on it..Seeing that it looks like a coaster.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 11th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    boliston
    i find the main problem with w10 is simply how slow it is - i have a 3 year old pc (4th gen i5 cpu) and it takes about 2 minutes just to boot compared with about 10 seconds to boot linux. Also loading chrome takes about 15 seconds vs about 3 seconds on linux
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 11th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    dekaspace
    With my dad, he had a old laptop and it auto downloaded Windows 10 for him only to then reject installing it saying it wasnt compatable and nag him for drivers, he then got a (still old but much more powerful) laptop last Christmas and it worked perfect and fast for him for months, then Windows 10 installed itself after about a 10 hour wait and now his whole computer is sluggish.

Then theres the fact you are forced to do updates without checking them first (as sometimes new updates can be buggy until they themselves are patched)
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 12,979 Thanks
    indesisiv
    i find the main problem with w10 is simply how slow it is - i have a 3 year old pc (4th gen i5 cpu) and it takes about 2 minutes just to boot compared with about 10 seconds to boot linux. Also loading chrome takes about 15 seconds vs about 3 seconds on linux
    Originally posted by boliston
    Mine is an oldish laptop that i have had for years (it came with xp) and it boots up all ready from off in under 10 secs. Running windows 10.
    Its a bit quicker at that than windows 7 was
    Chrome takes about 2 secs to open.

Not sure why we have such different experiences with it?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Gaz83
    • By Gaz83 11th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 6,354 Thanks
    Gaz83
    Mine is an oldish laptop that i have had for years (it came with xp) and it boots up all ready from off in under 10 secs. Running windows 10.

Originally posted by indesisiv
    Most folk just install any old crap to their hard drives without realising how much it can slow their computer down.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • GMbabies
    • By GMbabies 11th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 1,384 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    GMbabies
    Windows 10 users
    Everything you type is submitted and stored in the data centre in the US. Is it necessary? I guess so, because everyone is now potential terrorists, aren't they?
    • doodle-bug
    • By doodle-bug 11th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    doodle-bug
    I read somewhere that someone said that Windows 10 downloaded onto his machine without his knowledge - I thought that was absolute rubbish, thinking he had done it in error?

Mine did this too. I was horrified to go back onto my computer to the screen 'Thanks for downloading Windows 10'!! I didn't!

Thinking that it was a done deal, I looked carefully - it had the box (tick to accept) - I didn't. Computer then grumpily came up with message that if I didn't accept, then it would give me my old system back. Good! If I wish to download it, I would, but at the moment I do not. Sneaky thing! Now back to normal.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 11th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I read somewhere that someone said that Windows 10 downloaded onto his machine without his knowledge - I thought that was absolute rubbish, thinking he had done it in error?

Mine did this too. I was horrified to go back onto my computer to the screen 'Thanks for downloading Windows 10'!! I didn't!

Thinking that it was a done deal, I looked carefully - it had the box (tick to accept) - I didn't. Computer then grumpily came up with message that if I didn't accept, then it would give me my old system back. Good! If I wish to download it, I would, but at the moment I do not. Sneaky thing! Now back to normal.
    Originally posted by doodle-bug
    Its done in a crafty way, through the windows update system both in optional and "important" updates as they don't tell you what they are for.

Another reason why in the future if they bring out something for the next OS they have you won't have a choice in upgrade.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 11th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    donnac2558
    It downloaded for me last August about an hour, laptop no slower works fine. The anniversary update took 20 minutes. If they Microsoft want to track my stuff I have nothing to hide so don't care. They might think I am a would be serial killer from my search history of old murder cases though.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 21,282 Posts
    • 81,849 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Got the perennial messages to download W10 onto my Windows tablet, and eventually did it.

The tablet now makes an interesting coaster but nothing else. As soon as W10 was loaded onto it, it stopped working and hasn't worked since. By 'not working', I mean it wouldn't even turn on.
    Originally posted by quidsinquentin
    Maybe this could help?

Solution 2: Try waking your Surface with hotkeys

You might be able to wake your Surface using a special keyboard shortcut.

If you have a keyboard connected, simultaneously press the Windows logo key Windows logo +Ctrl+Shift+B.
    If you are in tablet mode, simultaneously press both the volume-up and volume-down buttons three times in quick succession (within two seconds).
    If Windows is responsive, you should hear a short beep while Windows tries to refresh the screen. If your Surface still won't turn on, try Solution 3.

Solution 3: Force a restart

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
    The screen may flash, but continue to hold down the power button for the full 30 seconds. After the full 30 seconds, release the power button.
    Step 2:
    Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
    If your Surface still won’t turn on: Go to Solution 4.Solution 4: Two-button shutdown (Surface Pro models and Surface Book only)

Important
    Don’t use this process on Surface RT, Surface 2, or Surface 3.
    Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
    Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
    Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    Step 4:
    Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
    If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • quidsinquentin
    • By quidsinquentin 11th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 37,557 Posts
    • 74,396 Thanks
    quidsinquentin
    Maybe this could help?

Solution 2: Try waking your Surface with hotkeys

You might be able to wake your Surface using a special keyboard shortcut.

If you have a keyboard connected, simultaneously press the Windows logo key Windows logo +Ctrl+Shift+B.
    If you are in tablet mode, simultaneously press both the volume-up and volume-down buttons three times in quick succession (within two seconds).
    If Windows is responsive, you should hear a short beep while Windows tries to refresh the screen. If your Surface still won't turn on, try Solution 3.

Solution 3: Force a restart

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
    The screen may flash, but continue to hold down the power button for the full 30 seconds. After the full 30 seconds, release the power button.
    Step 2:
    Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

If your Surface still won’t turn on: Go to Solution 4.Solution 4: Two-button shutdown (Surface Pro models and Surface Book only)

Important
    Don’t use this process on Surface RT, Surface 2, or Surface 3.
    Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
    Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
    Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    Step 4:
    Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Nope. Won't do anything at all. But ta anyway.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 11th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    boliston

i stupidly did a w8.1 to w10 upgrade instead of a w10 clean install - have though about wiping and clean installing but dont use w10 enough to justify bothering
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Oct 16, 7:17 PM
    • 31,508 Posts
    • 26,183 Thanks
    custardy
    Seems to me windows 10 is tying you into only using (and hence buying) Microsoft applications.

For example try changing your default photo viewer to anything other the the Windows app or the few other apps they list. If the app is not on that list, as many free photo apps are, you are shafted.
    Originally posted by PoshButNice
    Nonsense. Yes W10 lists a few applications, however you simply select 'more apps' and if you want a non listed one select 'look for apps on this PC'.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 11th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    Loz01

Macbook user here and yes its worth every penny...
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity..
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 11th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,883 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    I hate Windows 10. I have it on my main PC...it makes me ill!

I still have 7 on my recently bought laptop...it's so soothing and calming!

I might put the PC on Linux...I prefer it to Windows 10.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 11th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 7,411 Thanks
    prowla
    In addition to the Mac OS you can also run Windows on a Mac computer.
    Originally posted by schrodie
    I can run Windows and Linux on my Mac...

...at the same time!
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 11th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 3,863 Posts
    • 5,850 Thanks
    Gavin83
    The issue is not so much Windows 10.

Microsoft has lost ground in the retail/consumer space, in recent years. Not just to Apple, but tasks traditionally done by PCs have moved on to Smart Phones and tablet PCs.

They have to respond.

Every big player has realised just how important the "Store" is as a revenue generator. Apple also do this. Google have their own.

It seems inevitable with Windows 10, 11, 12..etc they will push this one-stop-shop as a convenient and ultimately preferable option for all those additional application or media add-ons people buy.
    Originally posted by kabayiri
    The home PC market for Microsoft is a small drop in the ocean in terms of their profits. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a loss. The only reason they push the home market so much is so it's familiar to people when they go to work. If the users already know their way around an OS it'll save the company training costs and therefore they're more likely to choose it. How many companies do you know who don't use windows as their primary client OS?

The majority of Microsofts profits are now and have always been in server OS and software licencing. The licencing costs for MS applications can be huge, multi millions per year for large organisations. They're also starting to make big profits on their cloud offering Azure, although this is still really in its infancy.

The amount they make from the home market isn't even a concern for them just as long as people are using it.
    • sacsquacco
    • By sacsquacco 11th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 3,659 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    sacsquacco

Yes, mines the same.Fastest ever boot up now in seconds.New laptop tho this year with preinstalled Windows 10. From what I can gather windows 10 is not a free download anymore unless you are some sort of techy business but they dont check that is true other than asking you the question.Tried to install it in an older laptop and after many many hours it got to 99% done and failed.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    almillar
    Nonsense. Yes W10 lists a few applications, however you simply select 'more apps' and if you want a non listed one select 'look for apps on this PC'.
    Good solution above, but is it even simpler - you have to have these apps INSTALLED, before they will appear on this list. Please tell me you're not expecting this list to go and find all the apps that exist!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter