Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Results: What do you do?

End Date

27.87% • 34 votes

Work through the Board

60.66% • 74 votes

11.48% • 14 votes

You may not vote on this poll

122 votes in total.

• mansey
    • By mansey 11th Oct 16, 12:59 AM
    • 1,991Posts
    • 5,553Thanks
    What do you do?
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:59 AM
    What do you do? 11th Oct 16 at 12:59 AM
    Do you enter competitions by End Date or do you just Work through the Boards?

What are the pro's and con's to each?

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
    ― Billy Joel
Page 1
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 11th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 11,494 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    Not really interested in the pros & cons - just results. What do the winners do ? Or are they all running scripts on the click to wins ?

• hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 11th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 66,724 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    O end date to mop up & them do the main board, or atleast I do when I'm feeling well currently end dating mainly - notice no difference in number ot wins- but on the whole eithe books or better quality as I donlt enter quite so much crap
    looking forward to 27/11 I gain a son in law
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 11th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 46,159 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:42 AM
    Try to keep up with what's new on the boards (though never manage them all) and mop up by end date. No idea what's best for winning but just do what works best for me for getting them done.
    • Caela07
    • By Caela07 11th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    I do them by end date, I'm always a few days ahead and I also have a second window up for new comps posted so any for the dates I've already done I do them so I don't miss any. If that makes sense
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 11th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 30,423 Posts
    • 173,787 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    From a previous post in Jan 2014, not included in the list of advantages is the fact it is also quicker to enter without needing to sort the board by end-date

If a competition is properly run it makes no difference when you enter.

When it comes down to the best way to enter it has to be enter early - stay away from end dating as the advantages are almost none and the risks of missing out are many -

Comp closes early (or just sometime before midnight on the final day)
    Comp website has problems (even worse if it's a weekend)
    MSE forum goes down
    Your broadband and or computer/laptop etc go down
    Real life events take out comping time
    Also unless you use the subforums you will miss out on the enter early ones where you get included in draws from the day/week of entry up to the competition end date.

The only possible advantage to end dating that I can think of is that someone posted about poorly run twitter competitions being more likely to pick later entries.

By entering early the comps closing early are not a problem and there is more time to overcome all the other issues above.

(Early entry would be after the post has been up a little while so if there are any problems they will have been noticed - self-promo/spam sites/wrong answer etc unless you are happy to check things like that out yourself)

If you do daily comps where nothing changes then bookmark them direct so you don't need to go through the forum to enter (it's a way to go now but the same applies for most advents) cuts down entry time and it doesn't matter if mse goes off-line.

Another disadvantage to entering by end date are the large peaks in the number of competitions that close on Fridays and on the last day of a month (There will be a huge number of competitions ending on Fri 31st Jan). Entry closer to when they are added gives a more even number to enter and allows more time to deal with any peaks that might arise.
    Added - "dead" comps past their closing date don't matter as they are out of the way down the board.

Also cut your cloth accordingly, if there are regularly too many for the time available then raise your standards and enter fewer. If it only happens occasionally then drag n drop the comps into a folder and enter when time permits - by having folder you don't need to go back through the board and just carry on from where you left off.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 11-10-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    • cristalfiona
    • By cristalfiona 11th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    I comp by end date but try to stay about a week ahead. Each day I do the more recently started comps for that day then jump to the day I'm up to. It also means if I miss a day or two it's not a big deal
    Wins 2014: Brooks running shoes, England tickets
    • rceebear
    • By rceebear 11th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 57,215 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    I'm an end dater but nearly two weeks ahead. Working towards clearing the board and entering new comps daily. I managed to get there once before and due to some free time am hoping to do so this week. Fingers crossed. Even though I'm two weeks ahead I'm still finding comps that have already closed so am missing out. For that reason I definitely would prefer not to be an end dater anymore. Having cleared the board it gives me more time to give a little back by posting comps and helping out expiring closed comps, getting answers etc.
    Thank you to all that post positively
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 13th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 30,423 Posts
    • 173,787 Thanks
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    Just been through about 150 added since I last looked, reported a self-promo, checked a purchase one, entered three and dropped one (radio multiple entry) on to my bookmarks bar to enter while I am having tea and biscuits - job done - probably clear out the 15 or so in my comps folder as there wasn't much of interest added since I last looked.
    • dan-dan
    • By dan-dan 13th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    I always enter ones ending on the same month on the day i find them

any that end in the next few months I always bookmark for a later date
    • becky004
    • By becky004 14th Oct 16, 2:48 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 337,209 Thanks
    I prefer to work through the boards, but find life gets in the way! At the moment am end dating and doing all those recently added so that at some point I will catch up with myself.

Don't know if it's coincidence or luck, but I seem to have more wins when I am up to date rather than when I end date. However this could be because I do the dailies when I am up to date, but I don't when I'm end date comping as I don't have time.
    I love this board, have "virtually" met so many lovely people, people I am honoured to count as friends.
    Jan Wins Web (2) Book, 200, 1000 FB (0) TW (1) Breakfast RC (0) Pin (0)

• CharleyYpres
    • By CharleyYpres 14th Oct 16, 6:59 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    I just work my way through. I had a theory that end dating worked well for rafflecopter because I've won more through them when I have entered with only a few hours until it ended. But after 2 weeks of entering every competition on the end date and winning none of them, it's safe to say it was just a coincidence. And I missed out on a few good ones because they finished early so that was a bummer.
    2016 winnings: 230.91
    Good luck everyone
    • Zanzib
    • By Zanzib 14th Oct 16, 7:16 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 52,145 Thanks
    I do a mixture.

At the weekend I try and do competitions with an end date for the coming week. But if I get time during the week I'll work through the board and enter anything I'm interested in.
    • jaibaby
    • By jaibaby 14th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 204,645 Thanks
    I enter the day before a comp ends.

Pros: I've won quite a few biggies by entering this way (1000 Tesco vouchers, iPad, iPhone, big bundles of toys etc)

Cons: I miss a few comps by them ending earlier than stated or the post was wrong.

However, I believe if you are meant to win you will, no matter when / how you enter
    2015 wins: 2741.29 / 2015

Thanks to all posters
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I enter them as I find them, if I remember to look on the board and I only ever enter the ones where I want to win the prize.

Needless to say that I am not a dedicated comper and also that I have yet to win anything
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 485.6
    This week - 36
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,909Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin