Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dickie_007
    • By Dickie_007 10th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dickie_007
    Online Dating companies, are they legit?
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    Online Dating companies, are they legit? 10th Oct 16 at 11:29 PM
    Hi Folks,
    Have you every tried the POF dating website, or any other for that matter? I've never have but thought I give POF a whirl to start with as it's free, or at least I thought it was? It is free to create a profile but it seems you have to pay for everything else? I don't mind paying if it's genuine but not if the e.g. "Like to meet me" contacts are fake contacts generated by a POF algorithm or POF staff to get people to part with there money.
    I know I probably sound a bit suspicious but I have seen TV programmes re online dating companies getting up to dodgy dealings
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:08 AM
    Hi Folks,
    Have you every tried the POF dating website, or any other for that matter? I've never have but thought I give POF a whirl to start with as it's free, or at least I thought it was? It is free to create a profile but it seems you have to pay for everything else? I don't mind paying if it's genuine but not if the e.g. "Like to meet me" contacts are fake contacts generated by a POF algorithm or POF staff to get people to part with there money.
    I know I probably sound a bit suspicious but I have seen TV programmes re online dating companies getting up to dodgy dealings
    Originally posted by Dickie_007
    While POF has paid for add ons it's my preferred free site.

I've met a dozen or so people off it without paying POF a penny, had a couple of shortish relationships and feel that it's done what it's meant to do for me - free of charge.

It has a paid for tinder style "meet me" option which I wouldn't bother with and various other "upgrade" features but, ultimately, it's a numbers game.

Stick a good photo or three up.
    Add a simple profile of a few lines.
    Send numerous possibilities a three or four line message that ties into their profile. Maybe a hint of humour.
    Avoid words like babe, sexy etc.

You'll get ignored by many, replies from some, conversation from a handful and date opportunities out of those.

Nothing to lose. Go for it.
    • M5captainmac
    • By M5captainmac 20th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    M5captainmac
    • 20th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    POF gets the vote from me. I met my wife on there so i maybe a bit biased!
    However i never had to pay POF a penny, as suggested above send a message to the people you would like to and take it from there. Be prepared that there are plenty of "scary" people on there....well that was my experience and those that I know but I kept at it and did actually meet someone who I connected with.
    You have nothing to lose by giving it a try. One thing I would say is make the effort in the initial message, don't just say "Hi" which i got a lot of, and make sure you read and understand the profile of the person your messaging.
    Good luck with it.
    . never give up on your dreams.......you never know how close you are
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 20th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 7,595 Posts
    • 33,897 Thanks
    tea lover
    • 20th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    POF works ok as a free site. I don't think there's anything on there to warrant paying for an upgrade.
    • makingplans4nigel
    • By makingplans4nigel 20th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    makingplans4nigel
    • 20th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    Guardian Soul Mates is free and worth a try. I know at least 5 couples who met on there and are now married/settled and doing it less often than when they first met etc.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 8,466 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 20th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    Guardian Soul Mates is free and worth a try. I know at least 5 couples who met on there and are now married/settled and doing it less often than when they first met etc.
    Originally posted by makingplans4nigel
    No comment!!!!!!
    • mariposa687
    • By mariposa687 20th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    mariposa687
    • 20th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 20th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    I've started using POF, so far lots of one line profiles but hopefully a few more detailed ones. I've noticed that if people want to meet you you have to upgrade to find out who they are. I can't see much point in paying for that feature as messaging is free and that's what it's all about.

I'm going to give it a go for a while and see if anything comes from it. Anyone who messages with either just 'Hi' or 'You're stunning, gorgeous etc' and kiss emjois is being ignored! I'm on there seriously so anyone who doesn't make the effort is out.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 21st Oct 16, 12:38 AM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 21st Oct 16, 12:38 AM
    • 21st Oct 16, 12:38 AM
    I've started using POF, so far lots of one line profiles but hopefully a few more detailed ones. I've noticed that if people want to meet you you have to upgrade to find out who they are. I can't see much point in paying for that feature as messaging is free and that's what it's all about.
    Originally posted by mariposa687
    It is possible to get their names emailed to you. But every "meet me" I've messaged has failed to reply. So not worth paying for!

I'm going to give it a go for a while and see if anything comes from it. Anyone who messages with either just 'Hi' or 'You're stunning, gorgeous etc' and kiss emjois is being ignored! I'm on there seriously so anyone who doesn't make the effort is out.
    Good luck.
    • fforsythuk
    • By fforsythuk 21st Oct 16, 4:49 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    fforsythuk
    • 21st Oct 16, 4:49 AM
    • 21st Oct 16, 4:49 AM
    I used a website called freedatinguk.

Definitely didn't pay to join and was able to send and receive emails free of charge.

This was about four years ago though so not sure if the website is still up and running but I did meet my current partner on there and we now have a mortgage, 2 children and getting married next year.

I did receive tonnes of unwanted messages from people just chancing their luck but there are some genuine people looking for genuine relationships on that website.

Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

230Posts Today

2,479Users online

Martin's Twitter