Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 10th Oct 16, 9:51 PM
    • 1,558Posts
    • 1,474Thanks
    JDPower
    Is this tyre dangerous?
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:51 PM
    Is this tyre dangerous? 10th Oct 16 at 9:51 PM
    I just had two front tyres replaced and whilst in the garage was told one of my rear tyres was cracking badly and was "lethal". Was he right, or just trying to get more trade???

Worst side:

Opposite side:

Page 2
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 11th Oct 16, 6:32 AM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    Never used to check dates, but my two fronts went like that recently on the sidewall.
    Both Michelins, fitted by the seller as the fronts that were on it were getting low.
    The clue there was something not right was the undertray started to ground out in certain situations when it hadn't previously.
    Checked the dates, they were 9 years old.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Oct 16, 7:31 AM
    • 3,660 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    For all those jumping on the "why do you need to ask" wagon, it's worth bearing in mind that those would (as far as the photos show) pass an MOT.

Given that most drivers aren't mechanics, it's reasonable for them to assume that an item that would pass an MOT is ok for now.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 11th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    caprikid1
    Out of interest what is the vehicle ? How old.

I would expect crackling like that to be c10 years
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 11th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 3,028 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Just polish them cracks out with some G3
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 11th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 3,028 Posts
    • 1,233 Thanks
    EdGasket

Originally posted by caprikid1
    'Crackling'? Is that roast pork I smell?
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 11th Oct 16, 10:14 AM
    • 14,806 Posts
    • 13,448 Thanks
    bod1467
    Also beginning to wonder, given that the other three tyres on the car were ultra budget tat, whether the Avon might have been bought as a pre-worn or some such and may be even older than you would expect
    Originally posted by JDPower
    Or ... the Avon is an original tyre and was previously the spare in the boot but was fitted after a puncture?
    • mrspurp751
    • By mrspurp751 11th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrspurp751

we have some 2 year old coopers that are cracking away nicely and got some impressive gaps, garage who fitted them doesn't care of course, so much for quality, was told coopers were brilliant tyres!

I will disclaim for others that they are no longer on the car
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 11th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    JDPower
    Found the date stamp - 24-11, so it's just over 5 year old.

For all those jumping on the "why do you need to ask" wagon, it's worth bearing in mind that those would (as far as the photos show) pass an MOT.

Given that most drivers aren't mechanics, it's reasonable for them to assume that an item that would pass an MOT is ok for now.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    Thanks

It's an 02 Focus
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 13,797 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    motorguy
    Gotta love the sense of superiority some people have. No one ever learnt anything by not asking. It's not something I've had before so didn't know (I know, what a terrible human being, not knowing something), thought I would get a sensible reply on here, so yes I HAD TO ASK. I apologise for being so utterly inferior in my knowledge in comparison to your almighty greatness, but thanks to those who answered without the sarcasm
    Originally posted by JDPower
    Sorry if my shock at your lack of basic common sense offends you.

The correct response would have been "gee i didnt realise they were really that bad, thanks for the unanimous feedback!", as opposed to being indignant at the perceived tone of some responses.

Those tyres are a risk to you, your passengers and other road users.
    Last edited by motorguy; 11-10-2016 at 5:54 PM.
    Regards

Paul
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 13,797 Posts
    • 7,304 Thanks
    motorguy
    Would they though?

MOT checks for cracks and bulges in the sidewall.
    Regards

Paul
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Oct 16, 6:07 PM
    • 3,660 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Would they though?

MOT checks for cracks and bulges in the sidewall.
    Originally posted by motorguy

Yes, but cracking is only a fail if it exposes the ply or cords which it's very unlikely those do.
    • robotrobo
    • By robotrobo 11th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    robotrobo
    Tyres
    [QUOTE=JDPower;71434493]Well just to set everyone's mind at ease, new tyres are ordered.

Could i please purchase these tyres from you please!, theres loads of miles left on them yet & are far better than the ones fitted to my renault.
    • mrmot
    • By mrmot 11th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    mrmot
    If I was carrying out a MOT test on that car, I would be hard pushed to find a reason to fail them. Those cracks are quite small, less than 25mm long (or 10% of the tyre width, whichever is greater), so I'm not allowed to open them up to look for exposed cord, if there's no bulges in them to indicate a failure of the structure, they appear to be a pass. They'll certainly get and advisory.
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 11th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    JDPower
    Yes, but cracking is only a fail if it exposes the ply or cords which it's very unlikely those do.
    I'm glad you said that, as it was something at the back of my mind saying cracking was only serious if the canvas was exposed (wasn't imagining it lol), partly why I asked for confirmation of the mechanic's comments here.
    • salubrious
    • By salubrious 11th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    salubrious
    I wouldn't fail them either, they'd get an advise though.

'Lethal' - I like that one.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 11th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 952 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    reeac
    The individual cracks may be only around 25 mm long but they don't have to grow much to turn into a complete circumferential crack around the tyre. I wonder if the tyre has been run in a seriously under inflated condition with consequent weakening of the underlying structure.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 3,660 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    [...]Those cracks are quite small, less than 25mm long (or 10% of the tyre width, whichever is greater), so I'm not allowed to open them up to look for exposed cord[...]
    Originally posted by mrmot
    I think you've just cleared up a puzzle I've had for years over this - the apparent ambiguity between
    • a fail for a crack / cut over 25mm and "deep enough to reach the ply or cords" and
    • a fail for "any of its ply or cord exposed"

when the second would appear to cover the first anyway.

So, do I take it that the fail for "ply or cords exposed" only applies to damage where the ply is visible without any probing / prying / lifting flaps of rubber?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,111Posts Today

8,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: Tonight #MartinLewis looks into our family finances; Marriage tax allowance, student loans and child tax credit, 8pm on @ITV?

• Don't forget 8pm tonight ITV - should be a good show. As always my aim is to, in effect, pay you to watch #martinlewis money show

• RT @bbc5live: After midday, money-saving @MartinSLewis will be here to answer your financial questions ????https://t.co/UQMSd5TKbb https://t.?

• Follow Martin