Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 3,817Posts
    • 7,280Thanks
    iammumtoone
    urgent sat nav help
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    urgent sat nav help 10th Oct 16 at 9:28 PM
    I've broken my satnav and need it for Thursday

I need to get another one tomorrow / Wednesday so nothing nothing online.

I was looking at tom tom 25 but I can't see from the pictures if it shows you the road you are currently on and the next road required?

Ideally I would like one that has the option for the easiest route ie one that takes you via main roads even it is is a bit longer.

Any suggestions

Thanks
Page 1
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 13,788 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:35 PM

I need to get another one tomorrow / Wednesday so nothing nothing online.

I was looking at tom tom 25 but I can't see from the pictures if it shows you the road you are currently on and the next road required?

Ideally I would like one that has the option for the easiest route ie one that takes you via main roads even it is is a bit longer.

Any suggestions

Thanks
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Halfords & Argos are probably your best options, although you could order from Amazon on next day delivery.

I think all sat navs these days show you the current road and prepare you for the upcoming junctions. Plus you can set your road preferences.

I'm more of a Garmin man personally. This is where my money would be at the TomTom 25 price point...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5719839.htm

Or this one from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-57lm-5-sat-nav-with-uk-ireland-lifetime-map
    Last edited by motorguy; 10-10-2016 at 9:40 PM.
    Regards

Paul
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 13,654 Posts
    • 33,112 Thanks
    elsien
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    Do you not have a smart phone?. There's a free app on my iphone (and is imagine on android as well) that's easier to follow than google maps. You can choose fastest route, shortest route, or to avoid motorways completely. It generally gives you three options. Works for me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • building with lego
    • By building with lego 10th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 5,613 Thanks
    building with lego
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    Having bought a £100 Garmin last year I would advise that you download Waze or use google maps on your smartphone. I've never had a less user-friendly device since my Samsung D710.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 7,280 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    Thank you both

the garmin screen is more familiar to what I am used to (my previous on was a mio).

What I liked about the tom tom was the feature you can press on a road and it would take you via that route plus it remembers the route you took previously. I often start driving in another direction to the sat nav as I know the general main road I want to go via, then on the way back I am stuck going down the narrow B roads it takes me via as its 10 minutes quicker.

I do have a smart phone but I only have a very limited data plan. I don't have a dash mount for it and the screen is a bit small
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 11th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    Tesco have just given me a code for £25 off Garmin Drive. PM me if that will help.
    • benten69
    • By benten69 11th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    benten69
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    TomTom app for iPhone is what I use. Covers me for the whole of Western Europe, works a treat! Only cost £35 with free updates for life. I see they have since changed to "TomTom Go", not sure how it compares though.
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Oct '16: £157,050.37

• mrspurp751
    • By mrspurp751 11th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrspurp751
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    I would also avoid Garmin, we put up with it for two years, nightmare tried to take us off road down dead end tracks and woe betide you miss a turn, it'll do all it can to put you back to where should have turned off no matter the setting!!

Used our new tomtom for first time, wish had got one in first place, screen was a bit weird to start with but soon got used to it, I missed a turning, no turn around, it instantly changed the route to suit no fuss at all and crikey it was quick!! Considering bought the top Garmin one and have regularly updates it too so was fresh, the tomtom leaves it trailing.

We bought the tomtom 50 start, was half price at Argos

Failing that most phones have Google maps ability in an emergency, it's actually quite good
    • mrspurp751
    • By mrspurp751 11th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mrspurp751
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    Should be had it (Garmin) regularly updated sorry auto correct lol!!
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 11th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    Richard53
    I'd get the cheapest Tomtom. It will do everything you need. I've had two Tomtoms and both were very easy to use. I've tried Garmins and didn't get on with them at all. A lot of it is what you are used to, but TT's route-finding is way superior in my experience. Plenty around under £100.
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 12th Oct 16, 11:37 AM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    but I only have a very limited data plan.
    Many of the Phone sat-nav apps can be set to work in off line mode so no data wasted

Just a couple ..
    Here
    Google Maps
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 8,570 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I love the way for some the whole world seems to fall in if they haven't got access to their beloved sat nav. How on earth did we ever cope before
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 12th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 7,280 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I love the way for some the whole world seems to fall in if they haven't got access to their beloved sat nav. How on earth did we ever cope before
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I wasn't a single parent in those days

Have you tried driving on your own with no passenger to help navigate whilst at the same time having to 'entertain' a child in the back who is constantly talking and somehow has the knack of speaking even more as soon as you get to a difficult junction and doesn't understand/appreciate the fact I need him to be quiet as I have to concentrate.

Its bad enough driving with child and satnav. Without child in car yes I could probably (just) ,manage but wouldn't enjoy it.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 12th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 7,280 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Thanks all I went for a tom tom start 25 in the end as this was the cheapest. I don't need anything fancy just something that gets me there and back.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 12th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    Richard53
    I'm sure it will do you fine.

Good luck!
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 12th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    Richard53
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I love maps. In fact, I collect maps and can't bear to throw them away, as the bookshelf in my hallway shows. And I can use them too. Compass bearings, dead reckoning, aiming off, contouring, handrails, all that stuff. For anywhere off the beaten track, I wouldn't be without one.

But I also love my satnav. The ability to sit back and concentrate on driving a long journey without having to route-find is a blessing, and for reaching an unfamiliar destination, especially in city traffic, I think there are massive safety benefits. No more road atlas on the passenger seat, requiring your full attention just as the traffic lights change! In the OP's position, I would be keen to get my hands on one, just for peace of mind and a (relatively) relaxed trip.
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 13th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    Indout96
    Have you tried driving on your own with no passenger to help navigate whilst at the same time having to 'entertain' a child in the back who is constantly talking and somehow has the knack of speaking even more as soon as you get to a difficult junction and doesn't understand/appreciate the fact I need him to be quiet as I have to concentrate.
    amazingly we had children in the olden days as well as no sat nav - they didn't even have car seats / seat belts
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 13th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    giraffe69
    What is all this "In the good old days we..." Is it possible to live without a Satnav? Of course but why would (or should) you choose to? They are reasonably good at sorting out routes, making changes and getting you to the front door. Presumably if you look at other sub-forums you will see people hankering after irons you put on the fire, steam radios, red flags in front of cars and coal fires!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 13th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 7,280 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    amazingly we had children in the olden days as well as no sat nav - they didn't even have car seats / seat belts
    Originally posted by Indout96
    True I remember those days where I was a child.

My mother would sit in the front seat it would be her job to navigate and keep me occupied, I can still remember the rows if she missed to tell my Dad to take a turning, by the time she had realised this, sometimes we would be miles in the wrong direction cue the fanatic looking at the map to see how to get back on track, why would anyone want to go back to that?

It is now sadly more common to be a single parent, when maps were more common on a family outing generally there would be two adults in the car, one to keep the child(ren) occupied, the other left to concentrate solely on driving.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 13th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 7,280 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I will admit I do find it more difficult to drive in an unknown area with the constant distractions from a child. We are going away for the weekend, if purchasing a another sat nav makes it a much more enjoyable drive and holiday for both of us I really can't see what the problem is with that.

If I really had to I could manage without one, it would involve stress for both of us, me having to drive/navigate at the same time, and son being told off and having to remain quiet for most of the journey. Personally I would rather spend a few quid to avoid that, it is suppose to be a holiday not an ordeal.

Whilst I do remember maps when I was a child and could read one if forced to, most of my driving life (all of it since I had a child) there had been sat navs widely available, it is what I am used to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter