Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 10th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 319Posts
    • 223Thanks
    jojo9239
    How often is too often
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    How often is too often 10th Oct 16 at 7:50 PM
    Ok so we are in process of buying a lovely house and been to see it twice now once just us once with my mum. We want o go and measure some things but feel cheeky asking to go again am I being silly?
Page 1
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 10th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    Oh and we lowered the price of the offer due to valuation don't want to see cheeky
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 8,458 Posts
    • 6,090 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    Unless you have exchanged contracts, I wouldn't go measuring up.
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 10th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    We are planning to do that on same day as completion
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 8,861 Posts
    • 11,880 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    We are planning to do that on same day as completion
    Originally posted by jojo9239
    Risky and I hope not on a Friday.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 10th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 26,014 Posts
    • 89,340 Thanks
    Person_one
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    If you've made an offer and fully intend to go through with buying it then just wait. Somebody else still lives there, and they will want get on with things now its 'sold' and to start packing up etc. They won't want to have to keep the place like a showroom in fear that you'll pull out or drop your offer again if you visit and it doesn't look perfect!

What do you need to measure up for anyway?
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 10th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    I've seen the place I'm buying a lot, largely because it's empty and because I wanted to check electrics, plumbing etc. before exchange. However, my buyers have been great because they've left me alone during what is already a traumatic time. If they were here all the time, I'd get a bit funny about it.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 10th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    If you've made an offer and fully intend to go through with buying it then just wait. Somebody else still lives there, and they will want get on with things now its 'sold' and to start packing up etc. They won't want to have to keep the place like a showroom in fear that you'll pull out or drop your offer again if you visit and it doesn't look perfect!

What do you need to measure up for anyway?
    Originally posted by Person_one
    We want to order some wardrobes that take weeks to make she isn't there Monday to Friday just weekend due to work why she's selling

We are staying with family so exchanging and completing on same day isn't an issue for us

We will wait then thanks
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 10th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 26,014 Posts
    • 89,340 Thanks
    Person_one
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    We want to order some wardrobes that take weeks to make she isn't there Monday to Friday just weekend due to work why she's selling

We are staying with family so exchanging and completing on same day isn't an issue for us

We will wait then thanks
    It would be a bad idea to order anything for the new house before exchanging contracts anyway, and as you plan to do both on the same day then measuring up on the day you complete will be fine.

I've never even done a second viewing, never had any regrets!
    • Cardinal-Red
    • By Cardinal-Red 10th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Cardinal-Red
    This is very much a "it depends".... all the answers above are personal opinions (though the comments on not committing to buying anything before exchange are probably universally valid, especially custom wardrobes etc.)

We are buying a house, we've been 4 times... once just for a catch up cup of tea with the sellers; I have no doubt if we wanted to go back again they'd let us.

It just depends... no harm in asking them.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
    • amateur house
    • By amateur house 10th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    amateur house
    It would be a bad idea to order anything for the new house before exchanging contracts anyway, and as you plan to do both on the same day then measuring up on the day you complete will be fine.

I've never even done a second viewing, never had any regrets!
    Originally posted by Person_one
    You are lucky, or maybe just good at knowing what you are looking for

I've done a few second and third viewings when I've been househunting, and decided against buying after the later viewings. I've still regretted buying both houses I eventually bought. This time round I've done a few second viewings and the house I am buying I've only viewed twice inside (about 6 times from the outside at different times of day), and am wondering if I will regret buying this one too!

I find I notice things on 2nd and 3rd viewings that you don't pick up on at a first viewing, but maybe that's just me
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 10th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    TheGardener
    Really bad idea buying made to measure stuff before completion - really, really bad idea...
    • ellie27
    • By ellie27 10th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    ellie27
    I wouldnt buy anything for new house til you are in.

Live there for a while and then you get a feel for the space and you can then see where best to put built in wardrobes etc.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    Seriously, just wait. You'd be barking to get bespoke furniture before contacts.
    • divadee
    • By divadee 11th Oct 16, 8:40 AM
    • 10,355 Posts
    • 17,762 Thanks
    divadee
    We have completed a month ago. We are just ordering fitted wardrobes. Yes it's a pain not having any wardrobes but we borrowed some free standing clothes rails and are using those. At the price they cost do not even consider ordering made to measure anything!! Wait until you are in and order then.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 11th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    caprikid1
    Also knowing that you have measured up for custom wardrobes, the seller might choose to recover some of the price drop !.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 11th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 6,107 Posts
    • 7,819 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    A 'measuring up' visit during the purchase process isn't unusual at all so no harm in asking. BUT, I can only echo what the others have said - DON'T buy anything before exchange, because there's such a high risk of the purchase falling through! If you have a gap between exchange and completion, order stuff then. If not, wait until after exchange and completion.

We ended up with almost two months between exchange and completion (don't ask!) and the only good thing about having that long was that I managed to arrange for five different companies to deliver furniture and other stuff the day after completion - it was like Christmas.

Re wardrobes - while you wait for new ones, hanging rails are about £8 each from Argos. And check your local Facebook 'furniture for sale' type groups as you'll get some stuff dirt cheap or even free to tide you over.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 11th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 26,014 Posts
    • 89,340 Thanks
    Person_one

Re wardrobes - while you wait for new ones, hanging rails are about £8 each from Argos. And check your local Facebook 'furniture for sale' type groups as you'll get some stuff dirt cheap or even free to tide you over.
    Originally posted by pinkteapot
    A tip though, the cheapest clothes rails are a false economy and will just collapse after about a week if you try to hang more than 10 items on them.

These are a bit more expensive but much much sturdier:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2379375.htm
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 55,986 Posts
    • 321,723 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Having a buyer come round can be a right pain in the butt. You might have to tidy up, delay your evening meal, change your plans, then get caught up at work and dash home to have to nervously bite your lip while somebody whitters on and measures up.

It's best left until after exchange really, when at least if you walk in on 20 half-full boxes of things being packed they don't feel the pressure for it to be immaculate.

You'll make better choices/decisions over what you want if you simply wait until you move in.

When I moved in here I had dreams of built in wardrobes.... 2+ years later I'm still using two £7 clothes rails
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 11th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    always_sunny
    am I being silly?
    Very. It sounds like you're getting butterfly in your tummy; it's a house; wait for completion and when you have your keys you'll have decades to measure all you want.
    here on an EU passport.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

716Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter