Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scotty1971
    • By scotty1971 10th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 1,650Posts
    • 440Thanks
    scotty1971
    Snow Tyres
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    Snow Tyres 10th Oct 16 at 7:40 PM
    Just bought a car with 4 brand new Matador snow tyres on it,am i better to leave them on for the winter then change them in the spring?

thanks in advance

Scott
Page 2
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 8,615 Posts
    • 5,638 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Just run them all year round it will be fine. I did that on my V50 2.0d so not that dis similar to a C max. You will get a lot of wear from them as the tread is deeper to start with.
    Ignore people who say they will melt etc, they will not. Go to any European country during the summer and you will see many cars with winter tyres on. their summers are much hotter than ours.
    Originally posted by loskie
    It's not a case of them "melting" it's simply that they are most definitively not the optimum tyre to have on during dry spring/summer months. The stopping distances, grip etc is going to be heavily compromised. Personally when you need it the most I'd rather be safe in the knowledge that I have the best set of tyres on for the occasion.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 17th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    loskie
    From my experience in driving around 20000m per year on rural A & B roads they have done just fine.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 17th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I think you might have got this the other way round...

205/55/16 is one of the most popular tyre sizes - as fitted to most Civics, Focuses, Mondeos, Merc C-Class (W204 as basic size) and so many others.

Also, a wider tyre means there is more resistance (more contact witth the road), so more fuel will be needed. That's why eco (Prius for example, BMW i3) cars have narrow tyres....
    Originally posted by gabitzul
    I have no figures of total sales for a particular size - so you might be right about the popularity based on number of vehicles for which it is a fitment.

But - although a 215 tyre is nominally 10mm wider and might just have a tad more rolling resistance- it is approx 2% bigger in circumference so will revolve less often per mile - thereby saving fuel - but at the expense of slightly worse acceleration.

So likely to have a 2% saving in fuel costs - possibly outweighing that extra rolling resistance.

But no-one can tell for sure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,852Posts Today

6,200Users online

Martin's Twitter