Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scotty1971
    • By scotty1971 10th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 1,643Posts
    • 440Thanks
    scotty1971
    Snow Tyres
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    Snow Tyres 10th Oct 16 at 7:40 PM
    Just bought a car with 4 brand new Matador snow tyres on it,am i better to leave them on for the winter then change them in the spring?

thanks in advance

Scott
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 5,765 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    Snow tyres or winter tyres?

I'd keep them on, swap them out come spring, swap them back next winter again.
    It's not going to cost anything to have two sets of tyres, you can only use one set at a time, so they last just as long (thought it'll feel like twice as long).
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • scotty1971
    • By scotty1971 10th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scotty1971
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:46 PM
    Snow tyres or winter tyres?

I'd keep them on, swap them out come spring, swap them back next winter again.
    It's not going to cost anything to have two sets of tyres, you can only use one set at a time, so they last just as long (thought it'll feel like twice as long).
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Sure it says snow tyres on them
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 10th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    Originally posted by Strider590
    It will cost if they're not on their own wheels and you have to get someone else to change them.

As I drive to the Alps every winter I got a set of snow tyres on steel rims and change the wheels myself. Doesn't take long at all and costs me nothing.

As for timings, we're now in October so I'd probably leave them on unless you're really going to whack on the miles. Here in the south I'll leave putting mine on quite late, but keep an eye on the weather.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 10th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    I have 2 sets of wheels and tyres and swap them over every 6 months when the time changes.

We've already had a couple of frosty nights so I'd keep those Matadors on - it's not worth taking them off as we turn the clocks back in a couple of weeks.

Get a set of Summer tyres next year for when the clocks go forward.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 10th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    I think your locations may make a difference to your decision Iceweasel, but even from sunny 'Ampshire I'd agree. :-)
    • force ten
    • By force ten 10th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    force ten
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    Matador seem to list tyres as MP54 Sibir Snow or MP92 Sibir Snow but they describe them as winter tyres

and if it was me i would just run them until spring and then swap to summer tyres

I would keep an eye on e bay for a cheap set of alloys that way you just have to swap wheels rather than tyres
    • scotty1971
    • By scotty1971 10th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scotty1971
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    Matador seem to list tyres as MP54 Sibir Snow or MP92 Sibir Snow but they describe them as winter tyres

and if it was me i would just run them until spring and then swap to summer tyres

I would keep an eye on e bay for a cheap set of alloys that way you just have to swap wheels rather than tyres
    Originally posted by force ten
    So would i just look out for 16inch ford alloys?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    You could look for alloys, but my suggestion would be to buy a set of steel wheels (you may want some cheap wheel trims too, I bought my last lot in one of Aldi or Lidl) and in the spring put the Matadors onto the steelies and summer tyres onto the existing alloys, then just swap the sets in autumn and spring.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I'm assuming it's one of these - http://www.matador-tyres.co.uk/products-cWin.php
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    For the UK I'd consider not putting on summer tyres but saving the money on a spare set of rims and simply having all season tyres, we rarely have extremes so rarely will you get the benefit of a full winter set, and the difference between summer and all season performance is low while they are still considered winter enough to get the mountain mark which means you can use them abroad in places and times where winter tyres are compulsory.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 11th Oct 16, 5:34 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    For the UK I'd consider not putting on summer tyres but saving the money on a spare set of rims and simply having all season tyres, we rarely have extremes so rarely will you get the benefit of a full winter set, and the difference between summer and all season performance is low while they are still considered winter enough to get the mountain mark which means you can use them abroad in places and times where winter tyres are compulsory.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Rarely having extremes, rather depends where in the UK you live though - the OP hasn't mentioned that, I think.

Which brand of all-season tyres are you thinking of when you say they have the 'snowflake on the mountain' symbol?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 11th Oct 16, 5:36 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Rarely having extremes, rather depends where in the UK you live though - the OP hasn't mentioned that, I think.

Which brand of all-season tyres are you thinking of when you say they have the 'snowflake on the mountain' symbol?
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Kumho KH21s I had on an e46 3-series did for sure, and they were extremely competent including in pretty bad snow and ice in the North East
    • force ten
    • By force ten 11th Oct 16, 7:16 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    force ten
    So would i just look out for 16inch ford alloys?
    Originally posted by scotty1971
    if you look for alloys for your specific ford model

as different cars may have different offsets so the wheels would not fit correctly, you should be able to pick up a nice set for not to much money
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 5,765 Thanks
    Strider590
    ^^ I think most Fords now use the same wheel sizes, even the new Fiesta/KA probably use 16inch wheels like my Mundano.

This might help http://www.wheel-size.com
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • scotty1971
    • By scotty1971 12th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scotty1971
    if you look for alloys for your specific ford model

as different cars may have different offsets so the wheels would not fit correctly, you should be able to pick up a nice set for not to much money
    Originally posted by force ten

I have a Ford Grand-Cmax 1.6 diesel.
    • scotty1971
    • By scotty1971 13th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    scotty1971
    Just been having a look around on the net for tyres that would suit my car.When i put the reg in,it says 205/55/16 should be on my car,had a look at the tyres on my car they are 215/55/16!!. Does this effect the car in any way?
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 13th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Some of these tyre-finder sites are pretty unreliable as they don't seem to cater for all the options and variables.

What does the tyre-pressure label on the car actually say for the sizes - is 215/55 16 actually listed?

Having said that 205/55 16 is a less popular size and likely to cost a few £ more so many owners will go for the next size up the 215/55 16 where there is also a much bigger choice.

As to the effect - the speedo will read just under 2% low - but as most speedos read high it will make not a jot of difference.

As to roadholding, cornering and mpg - that will be improved.
    • gabitzul
    • By gabitzul 17th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    gabitzul
    Having said that 205/55 16 is a less popular size and likely to cost a few £ more so many owners will go for the next size up the 215/55 16 (...) and mpg - that will be improved.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    I think you might have got this the other way round...

205/55/16 is one of the most popular tyre sizes - as fitted to most Civics, Focuses, Mondeos, Merc C-Class (W204 as basic size) and so many others.

Also, a wider tyre means there is more resistance (more contact witth the road), so more fuel will be needed. That's why eco (Prius for example, BMW i3) cars have narrow tyres....
    • loskie
    • By loskie 17th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    loskie
    Just run them all year round it will be fine. I did that on my V50 2.0d so not that dis similar to a C max. You will get a lot of wear from them as the tread is deeper to start with.
    Ignore people who say they will melt etc, they will not. Go to any European country during the summer and you will see many cars with winter tyres on. their summers are much hotter than ours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter