Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 10th Oct 16, 7:15 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 5Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    RBS ppi refunded somewhere but where?
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:15 PM
    RBS ppi refunded somewhere but where? 10th Oct 16 at 7:15 PM
    RBS have text me to say they have deposited my PPI refund direct into my current account.
    However, I don't have a current account with them, only a debit card. Checked the debit card account and nothing been deposited there.

This was after writing to me to say a cheque would be issued.

Anyone any idea as to where it might be?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    • 85,116 Posts
    • 50,132 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:24 PM
    However, I don't have a current account with them, only a debit card.
    Debit cards are only available on current accounts. So, if you have a debit card then you have a current account.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 10th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    Ah, thanks for that. strangely enough, I do now remember them issueing a cheque book but never used it.

I am hoping they have sent it to there then, maybe it takes a while, from PPI dept to bank account I mean?
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 10th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    Ah, thanks for that. strangely enough, I do now remember them issueing a cheque book but never used it.

I am hoping they have sent it to there then, maybe it takes a while, from PPI dept to bank account I mean?
    Originally posted by dontlikemondays
    Can you tell me how long you have waited since they informed you that your complaint was upheld?
    I ask because I've been waiting 10 weeks and still nothing but the ombudsman said it would take 8 weeks.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 85,116 Posts
    • 50,132 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:48 PM

Many banks only issue cheque books on request. Not automatically. My daughter hasnt got a cheque book on her current account but could get one if needed.

Can you tell me how long you have waited since they informed you that your complaint was upheld?
    I ask because I've been waiting 10 weeks and still nothing but the ombudsman said it would take 8 weeks.
    I doubt the ombudsman said it would take 8 weeks. I suspect what they told you is that you cannot use them until after 8 weeks if the firm has not replied within that time. It was not long ago that PPI complaints were taking over a year or 2. Now its more like 2-4 months but some are much quicker. Be a bit more patient. If they have acknowledged the complaint then wait a bit longer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 10th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    It was about 10 weeks. They wrote a couple of times to say still looking into it.
    Once I got the offer, they said they would make payment within 28 days, and paid today (day 26) but can't actually find payment yet, lol.
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 11th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    Found out what happened.
    They paid the whole amount into a RBS account pending further investigations.
    When I asked what that meant, they said I had "markers" on my account.
    They are now investigating and I should hear within 28 days.
    The only thing I can think of is that I have a current account with them that I have never used.
    So frustrating!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 11th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    Found out what happened.
    They paid the whole amount into a RBS account pending further investigations.
    When I asked what that meant, they said I had "markers" on my account.
    They are now investigating and I should hear within 28 days.
    The only thing I can think of is that I have a current account with them that I have never used.
    So frustrating!
    Have you had any unpaid debt or debt written off etc with that bank or previously been bankrupt?
    • LadyintheLibrary
    • By LadyintheLibrary 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    LadyintheLibrary
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    Forgotten savings account?
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    Hi
    Something similar happened to me. I have recently switched banks. But there was a savings account I no longer used from my former bank. The PPI money was transferred into that account. I didn't recognise the account number so rang them and bank replied to say where it was, and to go into my local branch to sort out!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 17,239 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    In August 2013 you posted the following;
    I had some debt problems back in 2003 and had a couple of defaults.
    Eventually I paid them off.
    by dontlikemondays
    Then in March 2014 you posted the following
    I have previous bad debts but they will be paid off soon, and I will easily be able to afford new car payment.

But do you think they will give me the credit because of the bad record.
    Not CCJ's but late payments and 1 default.
    by dontlikemondays
    These are the "markers" which the Bank are investigating.
    If you had monies written off, for example as part of a debt relief programme, then these monies can be offset against redress awarded as a result of a successful PPI complaint.
    If the bad debts and defaults were not pertaining to finance provided by RBS Group, then their current "investigation" will be nothing for you to worry about. Otherwise, you stand to lose some or all of the redress.
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 14th Nov 16, 10:10 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    Just an update.
    RBS sold an old debt of mine to AIC in 2006

So they decided to pay the whole PPI refund into the original loan account of their own stating arrears on the account
    Not to AIC

28 days was up last week and haven't heard anything from them.

I have now written to them with several reasons why I don't think that is the fair way to settle things.

1. The loan was eventually paid off
    2. They sold the loan in 2006 so had no interest in it anyway
    3. Even if it hadn't been paid off, cases have been won through the courts & FoS whereby a creditor keeping PPI refunds have been ordered to pay if to the customer. This is because the customer may have had more important debts than the banks loan and because you can't "off set" unless it's your owned account.
    Apparently!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Nov 16, 10:47 AM
    • 85,116 Posts
    • 50,132 Thanks
    dunstonh
    RBS sold an old debt of mine to AIC in 2006
    Did they sell it or did they use AIC for debt management recovery?

Some people assume the debt was sold when it wasnt just because the third party recovery company was involved. Banks stopped using their own staff for recoveries many many years ago. This is an important point as they cannot pass the redress to the recovery company if the debt was sold with no claimback agreement (where the bank can take ownership of the debt again). If the debt was sold with a claimback agreement or the company is just providing services then they can use the redress against the debt.

I have now written to them with several reasons why I don't think that is the fair way to settle things.

1. The loan was eventually paid off
    2. They sold the loan in 2006 so had no interest in it anyway
    3. Even if it hadn't been paid off, cases have been won through the courts & FoS whereby a creditor keeping PPI refunds have been ordered to pay if to the customer. This is because the customer may have had more important debts than the banks loan and because you can't "off set" unless it's your owned account.
    Apparently!
    1 - the FCA allow redress to go against defaults, arrears and debts written off. So, that reason is not valid.
    2 - How do you know they sold it?
    3 - Hypothetical scenarios do not apply. Also, cases have allowed the redress against the debt. These are not from the courts but by the ombudsman. It is not a common scenario and you have to show you are in current financial hardship and have more pressing debts (council tax or utilities arrears typically. Not other unsecured debts usually).
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Nov 16, 3:56 PM
    • 17,239 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    28 days was up last week and haven't heard anything from them.
    If you haven't heard from them, how do you know about them offsetting your unpaid debt from 2006?
    • dontlikemondays
    • By dontlikemondays 15th Nov 16, 5:59 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    dontlikemondays
    If you haven't heard from them, how do you know about them offsetting your unpaid debt from 2006?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Sorry, I mean I haven't heard from the DMO who were holding the refund. The PPI dept told me they were "off setting" and was being held by DMO Debt Management Office until 28 days investigation was up. Heard nothing since
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,838Posts Today

7,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin