Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • imran22
    • By imran22 10th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 1Thanks
    imran22
    Land next to the property & Land Registry Title
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    Land next to the property & Land Registry Title 10th Oct 16 at 6:23 PM
    Hello members

I am in the process of buying number 1 (next to the red pin) as shown in the map. However I learnt that there is a little strip of land in-front of the garage and besides house entrance that still belongs to the developer who built the estate. This area is highlighted in green. This issue does affect other properties as shown in the map and since there are people living in those properties and bought them at some point, it might not be a big issue.

Can I seek your help and assistance to tell me if this is potentially an issue? Can the builder sell this title off in future which means a new owner can ask for money to use their land for access purposes? Is this a problem?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by imran22; 29-10-2016 at 8:18 PM.
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Oct 16, 6:24 PM
    • 10,851 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:24 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:24 PM
    Might it not be a service strip?
    There are some truths that are - quite obviously - self-evident.

What a pity that we can't all agree on the "It's obvious innit..." things in life...
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Oct 16, 6:31 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,910 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:31 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:31 PM
    Since the area round the corner is so much bigger looks like a mini park? Is it maintained as grass? Is there a covenant in the Title requiring you pay a maintenance charge?
    • imran22
    • By imran22 10th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    imran22
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    Might it not be a service strip?
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    What is a service strip?

If you see the attached map the footpath is adjacent to the green highlighted area so its not that. There are actually shrubs planted on that bit of land next to the house but I don't understand why it is not part of the house. Plus to get into the house one has to walk over the footpath then on the land that belongs to the builder and then you get to the door.
    • imran22
    • By imran22 10th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    imran22
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    Since the area round the corner is so much bigger looks like a mini park? Is it maintained as grass? Is there a covenant in the Title requiring you pay a maintenance charge?
    Originally posted by G_M
    The big green area (in the title) on the front is the road for the street. The area in front of the house which is not green is the grass.

There is no maintenance charge as far as I am aware.
    Last edited by imran22; 10-10-2016 at 6:45 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,910 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    The big green area (in the title) on the front is the road for the street. The area in front of the house which is not green is the grass.

There is no maintenance charge as far as I am aware.
    Originally posted by imran22
    there is a little strip of land in-front of the garage and besides house entrance that still belongs to the developer who built the estate. This area is highlighted in green.
    Make up your mind! Is the area shaded green the area you are concerned about, or not?
    • imran22
    • By imran22 10th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    imran22
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    Apologies G_M for an ambiguous post. Please see the new image.

Although the entire green area in the map is registered under one title plan. The bit that concerns me is between the two red arrows because to gain access to the house and the garage one has to walk over this strip.

The area pointed by the blue arrow is the road which does not concern me that much.

I want to find out that if the area in green between the two red arrows is worrying as this is the access to the house. Or should I ignore it as there are other houses whose access is also affected by the same plan. e.g. house number 27
    Last edited by imran22; 29-10-2016 at 8:20 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 16, 7:07 AM
    • 10,851 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:07 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:07 AM
    What is a service strip?

If you see the attached map the footpath is adjacent to the green highlighted area so its not that. There are actually shrubs planted on that bit of land next to the house but I don't understand why it is not part of the house. Plus to get into the house one has to walk over the footpath then on the land that belongs to the builder and then you get to the door.
    Originally posted by imran22
    As I understand it - a service strip is a bit of land (which may or may not be owned the householder/s concerned) that has the services underneath it (gas/electric/whatever) and is meant to be kept "empty" so that the utility companies can get at those services.

I've read tales about if it's incorporated into peoples gardens that they are restricted as to what they can do with that bit of their garden. Hence these strips tend to remain owned by the developer - but not for any bad reason.

I'm guessing the two narrow strips are service strips and the wider green bit is amenity land/make the place look nice for you all.
    There are some truths that are - quite obviously - self-evident.

What a pity that we can't all agree on the "It's obvious innit..." things in life...
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    Rather than merely looking at the plans, have you read the titles to see what they say about rights of access or title conditions? Are you doing your own conveyancing? If not then best leave it to your solicitor to interpret the titles rather than sending us possibly misleading extracts.
    • imran22
    • By imran22 11th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    imran22
    Rather than merely looking at the plans, have you read the titles to see what they say about rights of access or title conditions? Are you doing your own conveyancing? If not then best leave it to your solicitor to interpret the titles rather than sending us possibly misleading extracts.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    My conveyancer missed this title and it is only when I questioned the boundaries this came to light. Apparently part of the garden wall is built on the highlighted title. This was missed by all the conveyancers who dealt with the property in the past.

Since there are very learned people who post on this forum I thought I seek some advice and I am fully aware that it is not a replacement of the professional advice but it gives me an idea what to ask from my conveyancer. Apologies for the misleading post earlier but this is due to lack of experience in this space.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,658Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin