Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• suziemoon
    • By suziemoon 10th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 62Thanks
    Advice please!
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    Advice please! 10th Oct 16 at 5:21 PM
    Hi we bought our house in November 2014 and have a 100ft long garden with a garage at the end away from the House at the other. Within 2 months of us living there we had seen two people in our garden - 1 claimed to be looking for a dog which never materialised and I can't remember the other poor excuse so we ordered 6ft high gates when they came we realised they would have to be fitted a foot off the ground as the garden is higher than the road. The gates have been in place 18 months and we have today received a letter from the Council saying that they contraven planning rules and we need to apply for retrospective planning permission. I am worried that they will not allow planning permission and ask us to remove the gates. Looking at the rules - I see we should only have a 1m high gate - that's what was there when people were climbing over it. We live on a well used Country Lane with 8ft high hedges either side of the gates - the gates open inwards so do not obstruct our view or anyone else's view up the road when opened or closed the only impact caused by the gates is that people can't see into our garden or climb over the gate. What is the best way to discuss this with teh Council? I will apply for retrospective planning but do I point out the gates have no impact?
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 10th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 8,173 Posts
    • 9,871 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    Spell out the reasons you did it. I doubt they'll want higher burglary stats in their area.

2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 10th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 1,763 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    If you say they have no impact they could argue that you should remove them!

We had a case here in Cornwall, where the house owner installed a small plastic double glazed window, not visible to the public from any direction.

They were ordered to remove it and install a wooden framed window

The reason? You let one person to get away with something thought to be trivial sets a precedent and opens the floodgates for others.

Get some Rottweilers.

• thegirlintheattic
    • By thegirlintheattic 10th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 3,500 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    Point out the height of the hedges, the fact they open inwards and that you are doing it for your safety.
    Save £200 a month : Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 20,412 Posts
    • 83,008 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    If you say they have no impact they could argue that you should remove them!
    Originally posted by bigfreddiel
    I'm fairly sure the OP meant visual impact, as in obstructing a view of the highway, which is why the rules are there.

What Cornwall Council do about UPVC windows seems somewhat unrelated.

The need to apply for planning is there as a safeguard, so if there is really no impact on the safety of public using the lane, and if the gates don't fall foul of other planning law, such as that relating to conservation areas, it's likely the council will approve the application retrospectively.
    'You have to think anyway, so why not think big?' Donald Trump
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

2,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin