Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• hellsbellssmells
    • By hellsbellssmells 10th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Main contractor or Separate Trades??!!
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    Main contractor or Separate Trades??!! 10th Oct 16 at 5:10 PM
    Hi, I really hope some experienced renovators out there can give me some help.

I've just had planning permission and building control through for the renovation/remodelling of my 300 year old house. The work will include:
    - Rebuilding Chimney stacks from the attic space upwards
    - roof repairs
    - Full internal remodel including removal of structural walls and alterations to external openings
    - Overhaul the plumbing and move the boiler
    - rewiring
    - Major external landscaping with new driveway and garage
    - plastering, finish joinery and general decorative work

Plus a whole heap of extra jobs that I keep thinking of. I've been told that because it's an old house there will be plenty of unexpected extras, so I would find it difficult to get in accurate quotes from a main contractor. I'm a total novice, but I'm willing to learn and can be onsite at all times. do you think I would save money by employing separate trades? or would it be madness? and where would I start?!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Page 1
    • suziemoon
    • By suziemoon 10th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    We are just having and extension on our 200 year old cottage, we've gone for one main contractor as he gets each person in when needed rather than if we had used individual contractors they may not have been available at the time they were needed causing delays. Hope this helps
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 10th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    Site management will be your responsibility if you use seperate trades unless you employ your own site manager. I've gone both ways on various extensions on different houses over the years but found it far less hassle to employ one contractor who then supplied the different trades.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 10th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 7,578 Posts
    • 6,809 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    You need to be very confident of running up to 10 or so separate trades: chasing them, making sure all materials are on site, managing their quality, snagging, getting them back to sort problems, paying them etc. If you are experienced at this, go for it, if not, think again.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Oct 16, 9:49 PM
    • 22,061 Posts
    • 62,862 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:49 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:49 PM
    It really depends on you, but given that we started by managing our own home developments, I've come from your side of the fence. I have to say that H worked alongside a main contractor when we took on a really major renovation.

You keep learning. It's fair to say that yours is significant for someone who hasn't done it before and it will be a baptism of fire. Not to say that it hasn't been done before or won't again.

Do you know anyone to be able to pull together decent trades? I suspect your biggest problem self managing will be finding the right labour and then pulling them together into some sort of coherence and order.

It will certainly be easier with one contractor. Your budget is going to be affected by plenty of surprises, regardless of which route you take. You've bought a very old house; they provide nothing but surprises. It's down to budget. If you have money, you'll find it easier with proper guidance. So many pitfalls to avoid. I don't think taking it on alone is going to get you the best result. There's so much to know!
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 10-10-2016 at 9:54 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,597Users online

Martin's Twitter