Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Richytm
    • By Richytm 10th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Richytm
    HETAS certificate
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:23 PM
    HETAS certificate 10th Oct 16 at 4:23 PM
    Hi,

Me and my partner are in the process of buying a house and are happy with everything so far. All searches etc are completed and everything has come back fine.

The only issue we have is that the house currently has a log burner installed with no HETAS paperwork...

Is this likely to be an issue for us in the future if we proceed without the paperwork.

Thanks for your help
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 37,022 Posts
    • 40,944 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    There 2 potential isues. Whether you (should) care is up to you:

1) the stove is poorly installed, chimney does not draw etc. Get it inspected? Or deal with it once you own.

2) It was installed within the last 2 years without Building Regs or Competant Person' sign-off, and the council a) find out ad b) decide to enforce. You could take out indemnity insurance or insist the seller does. If installed earlier BRs cannot be enforced.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 20,784 Posts
    • 83,678 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    You are taking a punt on the competence of the installer, and while some fairly dull people achieve HETAS certification standard, anything they do ought to be safe.

Besides safety, there's also the matter of whether corners were also cut to achieve 'economy,' so the stove may be a cheapo Chinese jobbie, or the chimney might not be lined. Either of these eventualities may lead to problems down the line.

My house had a wood burner installed years ago without the chimney being lined, so the output of the stove I've just removed was variable and never approached its full potential. The price of wood means that I'm very keen to improve things now.

At the least, you should get yourself a carbon monoxide detector. That's by far the most important item that anyone with a multifuel stove or wood burner should have.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,424Posts Today

7,186Users online

Martin's Twitter