Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• detectivebox
    • By detectivebox 10th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Confusion over security vetting
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    Confusion over security vetting 10th Oct 16 at 4:00 PM
    I'm in the process of applying for a new job and have been told it requires "Enhanced DBS" clearance. I previously held "SC" clearance about 7 years ago but it has since expired as I did not work in an SC environment for a couple of years.

Is there any difference between "Enhanced DBS" and "SC"?

Additionally - after being made redundant a couple of years ago, I had to declare personal bankruptcy. I have now been discharged from bankruptcy for several months. I have no current debts at all. Will this affect any security clearance application?
Page 1
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 10th Oct 16, 6:40 PM
    • 2,958 Posts
    • 8,576 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:40 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:40 PM
    The bankruptcy could affect the role if its working with money so Maybe in a bank etc.

An enhanced DBS as far as I know only really looks at your criminal records - so if you've been violent or there have been concerns in relation to you working with vulnerable children or adults you would not be allowed to work in the role. I have a DBS and am not debt free and have alsways passed them fine.

The bankruptcy could affect the role of dog dxample its in a prison - I know they used to be very particular to ensure people would not be as open to being coerced into things due to Money worries.

I don't know what sc is so can't comment if that is the same as a DBS.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 198 / 500
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 10th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    DBS can mean two different things..

Disclosure and Barring Service or Defence Business Services. Which are you talking about? I suspect you're talking about the latter while nimbo is talking about the former!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,456Posts Today

6,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin