Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rosie1978
    • By Rosie1978 10th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 308Thanks
    Rosie1978
    SW and exercise/eating enough - help!
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    SW and exercise/eating enough - help! 10th Oct 16 at 3:33 PM
    Hope this is the right place to ask this question!

Basically I was wondering what you eat if you are doing Slimming World and exercising a lot? And how do you make that affordable, particularly in terms of protein.

I'm struggling as I am running and lifting a lot but not losing because I'm eating the wrong things. I find meat very expensive and struggle to eat enough, especially enough protein.

Any tips? Apologies if this is in the wrong place!
Page 1
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 10th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    Greek yogurt has lots of protein and is healthy and cheap from aldi and lidl's.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Dustyblinds
    • By Dustyblinds 10th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Dustyblinds
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    You could fill up on omelettes, you can add lots of veggies and a bit of cheese as well.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 10th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 4,474 Posts
    • 5,630 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    What about beans? How much meat/protein are you aiming for?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Rosie1978
    • By Rosie1978 11th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Rosie1978
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    Thank you. I've been finding it hard to get my head into SW due to stress and other issues but I have upped my exercise. Problem is - I've lost it completely on my eating and have put on 7lbs in the past two weeks!

But the running and weightlifting is helping, however I need to make sure I eat enough protein to rebuild my muscles (and to fill me up so I don't reach for chocolate!!)

I think I'm going to do some big batch cooking, spag bol etc and try that. I'll also look into omelettes, that's a good idea.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 14,296 Posts
    • 36,405 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    When I first started to exercise extensively, I put on 1/2 a stone too and couldn't believe it! Everyone said it was muscle building, but I knew it wasn't, I could definitely see the fat on my stomach and bottom.

The problem was that I got it in my head that because I was burning a lot with the exercise (2/3 hours cycling, 10k runs, one spinning session, swimming), I could eat much more and indeed, I felt much hungrier. I've now realised that I don't need much more at all and since I've reduced, I haven't felt angry. I do try to make an effort to have a higher ratio of proteins, but don't go out of my way to stuff myself with it. I mainly just replaced bread by cheese and yogurt. I don't need to have a good meal before exercising and don't need to make it up afterwards. The stronger I get, the less recovery I need. I've now lost a stone and my performance as significantly increased as a result.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 13,653 Posts
    • 33,105 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    You may not be losing weight, but has your shape changed? My weight stayed the same when I started running but I dropped a clothes size.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 11th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 4,474 Posts
    • 5,630 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    Most people in this country eat more protein than they need and don't actually need to up it when they start exercise. Of course you might not be most people, but I think it would be worth to try filling up with carrots and things.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,985Posts Today

7,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin