Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 10th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 2,349Posts
    • 1,698Thanks
    dekaspace
    Planning my meals (again)
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    Planning my meals (again) 10th Oct 16 at 3:21 PM
    I never plan meals past just thinking im a bit tired one day so don't want something that takes ages to cook, or I know the day after I won't be back to late so want something easy.

Just got rid of like 4 large carriers of old food from my chest freezer, mostly things like pitta bread, muffins etc.

Right now I have a lot of things in there like multiple bags of 10 butchers sausages, a few chicken breats, a few large portions of tofu, about 15 butchers burgers, 8 tomato sausage meats, a few butchers chicken burgers, loads of blocks of cheese (as I never really use it) and a few cartons of soup and a few portions of mince I did chuck a few packs of liver out mostly as though I don't mind it I never cook it.

And cupboards are overflowing with things like pasta, sauces (sweet and sour, chow mein, thai curry etc) and have about 40 sachets of jelly too!

Whats best way to set mind to cook? I was thinking of maybe cooking something like sausages and rice or potatoes as better than junk but means I don't have much selection and if I use sauces they will have a lot of salt and calories.

So was wanting to us
Page 1
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 10th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:59 PM
    Sorry, but I'm not sure what you want?!

You could make up lots of stews using sausage, meat, chopped up cooked burgers etc.

Pasta sauces to freeze, then add what you want while cooking it.

Pizza. Use the cheese to make a cheese sauce to add to veg .

Mince for bolognaise, pasta surprise!

Can't help with jelly...it's evil! x
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 10th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    Don't know why my original post has unfinished sentence no idea what I meant to say there.

Well it was more I was thinking that if I chopped up meat into a stew it would be full of calories i.e if burgers had fat and a lot of calories in you would need a few for a big stew that would last

I also didn't want to bloat myself with carbs.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 10th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    Don't know why my original post has unfinished sentence no idea what I meant to say there.

Well it was more I was thinking that if I chopped up meat into a stew it would be full of calories i.e if burgers had fat and a lot of calories in you would need a few for a big stew that would last

I also didn't want to bloat myself with carbs.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Hi Dekaspace,

Then my original post stands!

Just use lots of veg to make up the stews, cook the meat in its own fat, you can always drain it before adding to a stew.

Use the mince and fat (or not) to flavour pasta sauce. x
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 10th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    I already either cook meat in its own fat or just add some water to pan to stop it burning and add a few drops more if its burning as the butchers meat I get often has little fat to it so theres little to nothing to drain.

For pasta sauce I have tried passata and chopped tomatos my main problem like in previous posts is more marinating stuff or it mixing like if I cook chicken then add sauce and cook it, it ends up tasting like plain chicken which sauce chucked on rather than tasting the sauce in the chicken.

I do love spicy food though. so again marinating something.

Im a little fed up with cooking mince even butchers stuff as by time I add flavour to it then it tastes strange (I tend to shove chilli powder in)

for pasta sauce I have a big tub of mixed herbs could I add those for flavour.
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 10th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    I get what you mean.

I'm veggie, but sometimes have veggie fillets. I find they taste nicer by rubbing in herbs, spices and raw garlic, before cooking.

Also, garlic improves a lot of savoury dishes! Whole garlic added to roast veg is lovely. I don't have salt, so usually add lots of pepper to meals.

Sorry if I'm not helping! x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,680Posts Today

6,381Users online

Martin's Twitter