Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim E B
    • By Kim E B 10th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kim E B
    Snug Mattress Toppers - big risk
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    Snug Mattress Toppers - big risk 10th Oct 16 at 3:18 PM
    Afternoon
    Can anyone offer me some consumer advice? I purchased the top-of-the-range Snug mattress topper at the beginning of the summer. We have a good quality firm mattress but since we bought it I have developed problems with my joints. I have tried a mattress with an integrated memory foam at a friends house overnight and it helped. I did some internet research and read all the snug reviews and I thought a topper would be the answer for our bed rather than replacing the whole mattress. We slept on the topper for a month or so, I wasn't sure that it was helping and during that period I also started to get lower back pain. I then travelled away for work for a few days and realised that my back had stopped hurting. When got back to my bed I realised the topper wasn't supporting me properly and my bottom was sinking lower than the rest of me. It didn't matter whether I was on my front or back it still made my back hurt because I was lying with a constant slight bend. I have a small frame and I am not over-weight so that isn't affecting the use of the topper. I contacted Snug and they have said its tough; there are too many 'environmental factors' that can affect the performance of the topper (e.g. surface that it is placed on and temperature of the room) and therefore they can't guarantee that it will be comfortable or won't cause other problems. They recommended I try and sell it second-hand on eBay. Certainly if I had realised that there was a risk that it could give me back pain rather than helping my joints I wouldn't have purchased the topper. It was an awful lot of money just to try something out to see if it might work and I am now stressed that I have wasted all that money. Can anyone advise me as to what case I might have to try and approach Snug again for a refund? As far as I know it doesn't have a manufacturing defect. I feel as if the topper was miss-sold to myself; I wouldn't have bought it if I had know the risks that 'environmental factors' (including me) could mean that it would increase my pain not alleviate it.
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    Unless you can prove categorically that the item is faulty and is causing you pain, I can't see you progressing this any further.

Why would Snug agree to refund you?
    • Kim E B
    • By Kim E B 10th Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kim E B
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    Thank you for your response. I had imagined they should refund me for not making it clear that there was a risk that the topper could cause me more pain rather than less? I had know that I wouldn't have bought it!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 17,229 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    I had imagined they should refund me for not making it clear that there was a risk that the topper could cause me more pain rather than less?
    Originally posted by Kim E B
    Mattress toppers are just meant to make your bed more comfortable, not "alleviate pain". You say you assumed that the product would help an obvious medical condition you must have, but I doubt Snug will have made any such medical claims in any of their promotional literature.

If you are genuinely being caused more pain by using this topper, the obvious solution is to discontinue the use of it.
    As I originally said though, you'd need to have categoric proof that the mattress was somehow causing you pain due to a fault in order to progress this. You say you did "internet research" and read reviews, but this is not mis-selling. It's apparent you mis-bought and have no refund entitlement unless the goods are not as described.
    • Kim E B
    • By Kim E B 10th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kim E B
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    Thank you for your opinion. Regards K
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,352Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin