Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Neilcg
    • By Neilcg 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Neilcg
    Double Cover
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    Double Cover 10th Oct 16 at 2:59 PM
    Hi,

I've been a bit of a doofus and I've just realised I've paid a full year's premiums for two separate buildings & contents insurance!

My question is, can I claim these back in any way? I'm positive I didn't sign for the more expensive policy as it was a new policy for a new house and not an automatic renewal.

thanks in hope
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 85,148 Posts
    • 50,161 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    You need to contact both of them and tell them what has happened and provide both of them details of the other. Normally they will communicate between them and one will arrange a void and refund.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Neilcg
    • By Neilcg 10th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Neilcg
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    Thanks - sounds promising!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 85,148 Posts
    • 50,161 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:02 PM
    Thanks - sounds promising!
    Originally posted by Neilcg
    it is actually a common error and the insurers deal with these things quite often. So, you should have no issue
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 10th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    Rather than void and refund, another option the insurers can utilise is a 'dual insurance refund'. If both policies were for the same cover, both insurers refund 50% of the premium.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

835Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter