Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tizzle6560
    • By tizzle6560 10th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 259Posts
    • 47Thanks
    tizzle6560
    Garden 'partition' ideas?
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    Garden 'partition' ideas? 10th Oct 16 at 2:51 PM
    We have a narrow-ish but long (85ft) garden and I'm thinking about ways to partition it or add a divider roughly about half way up.

The reason behind this is that the first half of the garden has been done up nicely with a pergola-covered patio area, nice flower beds etc., and the second half has the veg patch and some old brick outbuildings at the very back. not the prettiest

I was thinking about using wooden palettes stacked on their side to create a screen of sorts, but happy to hear about any other ideas people may have? Thanks!
Page 2
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 26,237 Posts
    • 15,783 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I'd go forfeather-edge fence with a gate..

we have a 4ft fence in the back of our garden, which hides the scruffy bit of extra land at the back quite well.

it would be quite cheap to DIY - quite easy too.
    Originally posted by DRP
    depends what you think of as cheap

assuming the posts will be in whatever they do.
    for a 2.4mtr run 2.4 high
    rough costings

£8 2 arris rails
    £5 1 gravel board
    £35 20 150mm 11mm boards 22mm a bit more.
    (maybe a bit cheaper if you shop around)

off the shelf 6ft panel would be under £40
    Last edited by getmore4less; 13-10-2016 at 9:01 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 20,769 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    depends what you think of as cheap
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    I think of anything that might down-value my most valuable asset as being expensive.

That's why I'd rather have a cheap hedge and 'suffer' for the time it needs to grow and do its job.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • tizzle6560
    • By tizzle6560 13th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    tizzle6560
    I think of anything that might down-value my most valuable asset as being expensive.

That's why I'd rather have a cheap hedge and 'suffer' for the time it needs to grow and do its job.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Why would a well constructed fence/partition devalue the garden/property overall.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 20,769 Posts
    • 83,654 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Why would a well constructed fence/partition devalue the garden/property overall.
    Originally posted by tizzle6560
    If you look carefully, I didn't say that it would. I was suggesting that out of the cheaper solutions, hedges are best, but it is a matter of personal choice.

Mind you, when I drop in at RHS Rosemoor on my way to the shops, I don't see their many garden rooms enclosed by fencing.

Maybe they're missing-out?
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,497Posts Today

5,679Users online

Martin's Twitter