Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tizzle6560
    • By tizzle6560 10th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 260Posts
    • 47Thanks
    tizzle6560
    Garden 'partition' ideas?
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    Garden 'partition' ideas? 10th Oct 16 at 2:51 PM
    We have a narrow-ish but long (85ft) garden and I'm thinking about ways to partition it or add a divider roughly about half way up.

The reason behind this is that the first half of the garden has been done up nicely with a pergola-covered patio area, nice flower beds etc., and the second half has the veg patch and some old brick outbuildings at the very back. not the prettiest

I was thinking about using wooden palettes stacked on their side to create a screen of sorts, but happy to hear about any other ideas people may have? Thanks!
Page 1
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 10th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    27cool
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    Oh yeah! Wooden pallets will make a really beautiful partition.
    Almost any other type of fencing will look better than that.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    Im planning something similar. Going to have two offset fruit hedges.

If youve got the pallets instead of having ugly pallets, get some white paint and cut them up into picket fencing. I got the impression you wanted to make it look prettier than an allotment, using pallets will not do that.
    Don't be angry!
    • tizzle6560
    • By tizzle6560 10th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    tizzle6560
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    Im planning something similar. Going to have two offset fruit hedges.

If youve got the pallets instead of having ugly pallets, get some white paint and cut them up into picket fencing. I got the impression you wanted to make it look prettier than an allotment, using pallets will not do that.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    I was going to paint them up for sure although we quite like the rustic charm of wood/palettes etc. We'll also be adding hanging plant pots , lanterns etc
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 10th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    27cool
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    I was going to paint them up for sure although we quite like the rustic charm of wood/palettes etc. We'll also be adding hanging plant pots , lanterns etc
    Originally posted by tizzle6560
    Rustic charm! Right, whoever designed wooden pallets, would have obviously had their "rustic charm" in mind. Though they do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I think we're going to have to agree to differ on this one.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 10th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    I would put some closeboard/featheredge, hit and miss or a simple high picket fence.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th Oct 16, 3:24 PM
    • 3,735 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:24 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:24 PM
    A nice fence made from pallets (rustic too).

Pallets used to make a fence.

I do like cheap, but then you can just add a bit of work and it doesnt have to look cheap. Id say a veg patch looks prettier than some propped up pallets.

In terms of pretty i would go
    1. Hedge
    2. Veg patch (do nothing)
    3. Wood fence (of the picket variety) or any generic type fencing
    4. Brick buildings (do nothing)
    5. Next door neighbours trampoline
    6. pallets on their side

How about weaving some hazel/willow?
    Don't be angry!
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 6,482 Posts
    • 10,744 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    I would use trellis panels with climbers growing on them. Or just plant some trees/shrubs.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:44 PM
    There's always the option of ivy, which can be grown up a trellis (or pallets). It makes a pretty decent screen.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Oct 16, 9:18 AM
    • 26,263 Posts
    • 15,800 Thanks
    getmore4less
    shame you missed the Wilco garden sale they were doing screens really cheap. 4mx2m bamboo or willow for < £10. (went down to £4.50 in some stores))

Depending how high and how much you want to screen the good from the not so good, you may want to consider putting in decent strong 100mm posts that you can attach other stuff to and play with ideas along the separation line

if doing veg, what about just having your beans/peas/sweet peas etc long that line, or fruit canes, or hops or other climbing plants that will screen off.
    • tizzle6560
    • By tizzle6560 11th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    tizzle6560
    shame you missed the Wilco garden sale they were doing screens really cheap. 4mx2m bamboo or willow for < £10. (went down to £4.50 in some stores))

Depending how high and how much you want to screen the good from the not so good, you may want to consider putting in decent strong 100mm posts that you can attach other stuff to and play with ideas along the separation line

if doing veg, what about just having your beans/peas/sweet peas etc long that line, or fruit canes, or hops or other climbing plants that will screen off.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Some good ideas there. Will definitely be fixing in some posts for support and rigidity. Wind in the garden can be pretty strong at times!

Will also definitely be growing some manner of fruit/veg in/around it.

Another question - what ground prep would anyone suggest? I was thinking of removing the top layer of grass, putting down a layer of weed protect and then laying the palettes over that. Anything else we should do? And securely digging in the posts obviously.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 26,263 Posts
    • 15,800 Thanks
    getmore4less
    depends how much work you want to do, you could rest them on bricks so they are off the ground,

A no grow strip will make keeping whatever is each side easier to maintain.

could put edging in and gravel fill enough to keep the wood away from the wet inducing rot conditions.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Oct 16, 3:04 PM
    • 5,944 Posts
    • 14,924 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Plant a couple of staggered jostaberry bushes. Full size about 10' square, fruit delicious, attracts butterflies - leave all this pallet art to further down.
    If you want a screen, pick something vigorously growing & let it do the heavy work!
    • DRP
    • By DRP 11th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    DRP
    I'd go forfeather-edge fence with a gate..

we have a 4ft fence in the back of our garden, which hides the scruffy bit of extra land at the back quite well.

it would be quite cheap to DIY - quite easy too.
    • Yorkie1
    • By Yorkie1 11th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 11,036 Posts
    • 20,633 Thanks
    Yorkie1
    Just looking at the pallet fence photos earlier in the thread - bear in mind that if you go down that route with the small plant pots slotted in, they will dry out very quickly and will need watering probably twice daily in hot conditions.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 20,813 Posts
    • 83,712 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The pallet fences look like pallets and they'd be too wimpish to hide anything much.

Nature does the job so much better than people; just plant a hedge.

I put yew in as wind break hedges in 2010/11 and they're taller than me now. They'll be an asset long after I'm gone.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 12th Oct 16, 2:17 PM
    • 6,482 Posts
    • 10,744 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Agree, pallets are too low to be a screen surely? If you actually want to hide the back of the garden you need to be looking at much higher than that.
    My suggestion of trellis panels tend to come in 6ft sizes, but you can mount them a foot off the ground if you want more height. I've got one with a clematis on it, which makes a great screen.
    A hedge is also a good idea, but I don't really see what is achieved by a low fence.
    • tizzle6560
    • By tizzle6560 12th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    tizzle6560
    Agree, pallets are too low to be a screen surely? If you actually want to hide the back of the garden you need to be looking at much higher than that.
    My suggestion of trellis panels tend to come in 6ft sizes, but you can mount them a foot off the ground if you want more height. I've got one with a clematis on it, which makes a great screen.
    A hedge is also a good idea, but I don't really see what is achieved by a low fence.
    Originally posted by andrewf75
    so the palettes would be two high, stacked on their side, one on top of the other and secured appropriately. Thus giving about 2.4m height give or take depending on which ones we can get.
    • ljonski
    • By ljonski 12th Oct 16, 3:24 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 3,258 Thanks
    ljonski
    Pallets stacked up on top of each other with bee homes placed inbetween sounds a great idea!
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bee+homes&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&imgil=leqZQe9-FkD0lM%253A%253BuOpt1H9UCg6hZM%253Bhttp%25253A%252 52F%25252Fwww.foxleas.com%25252Fmake-a-bee-hotel.asp&source=iu&pf=m&fir=leqZQe9-FkD0lM%253A%252CuOpt1H9UCg6hZM%252C_&usg=__c869YU2 7_p6s8slwUS8U-V6w9wc%3D&biw=1152&bih=611&ved=0ahUKEwjKr_6Yu9XPAh WODBoKHWusAFEQyjcIcw&ei=wUb-V4rLBI6ZaOvYgogF#imgrc=szbyDg3VH29SgM%3A
    "A bad man will spend his whole life boasting about just one good deed.. - However, a good man, will find that his life has been corroded by a single bad one" Vasilly Grossman, Life and Fate.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 12th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 6,482 Posts
    • 10,744 Thanks
    andrewf75
    so the palettes would be two high, stacked on their side, one on top of the other and secured appropriately. Thus giving about 2.4m height give or take depending on which ones we can get.
    ah Ok, yes that sounds like a plan if you don't mind it looking a little "rustic" before the climbers cover them. But get something quick growing like clematis or passionflower and they will cover it in no time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

731Posts Today

5,708Users online

Martin's Twitter