Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OCrossland
    • By OCrossland 10th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    OCrossland
    Me vs. Past Due Credit Solutions vs. nPower
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    Me vs. Past Due Credit Solutions vs. nPower 10th Oct 16 at 2:33 PM
    Hello MSE,

New member here who has been reading lots of posts regarding Pastdue Credit Solutions but all have been around 3-4 years old, so I'm desperate for some up to date information.

Everything was going great until today. Me and my partner are 2 weeks away from moving into our first ever house and finally climbed the property ladder after years of hard working and saving. Today, we received a scary letter from PDCS.

2 years in September, my partner owned a Milkshake bar in our town. We was only open 3 months as she was offered a dream job she couldn't turned down and agreed to close the business. We was with nPower for our electrically who gave us a bill for around £400 for 3 MONTHS ELECTRIC. As soon as we got this bill, we rang and queried the bill and eventually after giving meter readings, etc, nPower admitted their mistake, in writing, and gave us a bill for £191, which we paid, closed the account with £0 balance and happy. As we didn't give a meter reading when we first moved in, they said they was going to get in contact with the previous business in the property. (nPower we're absolutely terrible with us and bullies on the phone to my partner but we got their in the end.) Unfortunately as we are moving, we cannot find these old letters anywhere and fear we may have lost them.

Today, the whole situation came back. We was walking in town when the guy who now occupies the building (and somehow knew us!) and gave us a letter. We had no idea what it could of been but turns out it's a letter from PSDS demanding £495 by the 15th October. (Crazy, as we wouldn't of even got this letter if we wasn't walking past the shop at that exact time!). No other contact had been made by this company.

Stupidly, we rang nPower and asked about this who said that we never closed the account with £0 balance and that we owe the money but it is now done to Pastdue. She asked us to find letter to prove we don't owe the money... but we haven't got any letters TO PROVE we owe the money. We paid our final bill and closed the account. She agreed the account had been closed but again, she was a bully and was reading from a screen and wasn't listening to a thing we said.

We have tried calling Pastdue Credit Solutation twice, 1 15 minute phone call and the other 31 minutes. We gave us and now we're a little scared and want advice.

Do I need to find proof that we don't owe the money? I can't get in touch with Pastdue over phone but I don't want to write to them as I don't want to give them my address (and if we write to them, they'll just write back to the old address of the business which we don't want!).

Please help us.
    We don't owe this money.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 8,408 Posts
    • 8,228 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    Hi,

Some bloke hands you a letter in the street, was it addressed to you ???

Or just the occupier ???

You don't have to prove a thing, that's there job, not yours.

Stay off the phone to these people, only deal with them in writing, if the letter was addressed to you, then send them the provit letter.

If it wasn't, then it's not your problem.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 10-10-2016 at 3:39 PM.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
  • National Debtline
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    Hi Ocrossland and welcome to MSE.

You can start by sending the provit letter to give yourself more time to deal with this, but from what you have described you would expect a letter back saying it is money owed from the original electric bill for the 3 months the business was open (before you had the bill adjusted). To dispute the money isn't owed, you will need some evidence, otherwise you will just end up in a battle of 'he said, she said'. I would suggest you keep this in writing, or at the very least, email.

May I suggest checking old bank statements as a start, this will give you an idea of the dates it was resolved and then you can go back to NPower and make a Subject Access Request for the phone transcripts and a copy of letters sent/received around this time to help prove what was discussed. Hopefully, you can get the evidence together you need to dispute this. Remember, it can be escalated to the Energy Ombudsman if necessary. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • OCrossland
    • By OCrossland 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OCrossland
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    Hi,

Some bloke hands you a letter in the street, was it addressed to you ???

Or just the occupier ???

You don't have to prove a thing, that's there job, not yours.

Stay off the phone to these people, only deal with them in writing, if the letter was addressed to you, then send them the provit letter.

If it wasn't, then it's not your problem.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    The guy in the street is the person that currently occupies the building where my partners business used to be. It was address to her but at the wrong address. The business was at number 14 but the letter actually states 18.

I was going to send a letter asking them to prove it but there is a chance I won't receive the letter they reply with as it'll be send to the same address as it's sent to now and I don't fancy giving these guys my home address.

Think what could of happened if this guy hadn't seen me and gave me letter? They would be thinking I'm ignoring them or playing dumb.

Hi Ocrossland and welcome to MSE.

You can start by sending the provit letter to give yourself more time to deal with this, but from what you have described you would expect a letter back saying it is money owed from the original electric bill for the 3 months the business was open (before you had the bill adjusted). To dispute the money isn't owed, you will need some evidence, otherwise you will just end up in a battle of 'he said, she said'. I would suggest you keep this in writing, or at the very least, email.

May I suggest checking old bank statements as a start, this will give you an idea of the dates it was resolved and then you can go back to NPower and make a Subject Access Request[/FONT] for the phone transcripts and a copy of letters sent/received around this time to help prove what was discussed. Hopefully, you can get the evidence together you need to dispute this. Remember, it can be escalated to the Energy Ombudsman if necessary. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    Originally posted by National Debtline
    Thanks for your reply. We're struggling for bank statements as the bank account is now closed and this was all 2 years ago. I cannot log on to internet banking on the account anymore and have no idea on the old account number to ask the bank for statements.

As said, we rang nPower and they just asked us to find letters from 2 years ago to prove we don't owe the money. Shall I just call and ask for subject access request? I can remember the conversations and even recall the letter from the department manager apologising for the mistake, the way they spoke to us and confirming the account was closed with £0.00 balance.

Safe to say, I hate nPower.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 8,408 Posts
    • 8,228 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    I would take past due out of the equation and deal directly with N-power.

Keep the dispute in writing, as advised.

ND' s advice above is good, remember all of the utility/communications/and financial buisness sector have there own ombudsman to settle disputes of this nature, if you don't get anywhere with N power.

For free debt advice please call National Debtline on
    0808 808 4000
    Monday to Friday
    9am to 9pm
    Saturday 9.30am to 1pm
  • nPower company representative
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    [QUOTE=OCrossland;71431641]Hello MSE,

New member here who has been reading lots of posts regarding Pastdue Credit Solutions but all have been around 3-4 years old, so I'm desperate for some up to date information.

Everything was going great until today. Me and my partner are 2 weeks away from moving into our first ever house and finally climbed the property ladder after years of hard working and saving. Today, we received a scary letter from PDCS.

2 years in September, my partner owned a Milkshake bar in our town. We was only open 3 months as she was offered a dream job she couldn't turned down and agreed to close the business. We was with nPower for our electrically who gave us a bill for around £400 for 3 MONTHS ELECTRIC. As soon as we got this bill, we rang and queried the bill and eventually after giving meter readings, etc, nPower admitted their mistake, in writing, and gave us a bill for £191, which we paid, closed the account with £0 balance and happy. As we didn't give a meter reading when we first moved in, they said they was going to get in contact with the previous business in the property. (nPower we're absolutely terrible with us and bullies on the phone to my partner but we got their in the end.) Unfortunately as we are moving, we cannot find these old letters anywhere and fear we may have lost them.

Today, the whole situation came back. We was walking in town when the guy who now occupies the building (and somehow knew us!) and gave us a letter. We had no idea what it could of been but turns out it's a letter from PSDS demanding £495 by the 15th October. (Crazy, as we wouldn't of even got this letter if we wasn't walking past the shop at that exact time!). No other contact had been made by this company.

Stupidly, we rang nPower and asked about this who said that we never closed the account with £0 balance and that we owe the money but it is now done to Pastdue. She asked us to find letter to prove we don't owe the money... but we haven't got any letters TO PROVE we owe the money. We paid our final bill and closed the account. She agreed the account had been closed but again, she was a bully and was reading from a screen and wasn't listening to a thing we said.

We have tried calling Pastdue Credit Solutation twice, 1 15 minute phone call and the other 31 minutes. We gave us and now we're a little scared and want advice.

Do I need to find proof that we don't owe the money? I can't get in touch with Pastdue over phone but I don't want to write to them as I don't want to give them my address (and if we write to them, they'll just write back to the old address of the business which we don't want!).

Please help us.
    We don't owe this money.

Hi OCrossland

Thank you for posting, I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your final bill amount. I will be happy to take a look at this if you would like to send me an email (using the address from my profile) with your account details.

Thanks

Vicky
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • OCrossland
    • By OCrossland 13th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OCrossland
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 13th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    [QUOTE=nPower company representative;71441154]
    Hello MSE,

Please help us.
    We don't owe this money.

Hi OCrossland

Thank you for posting, I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your final bill amount. I will be happy to take a look at this if you would like to send me an email (using the address from my profile) with your account details.

Thanks

Vicky
    Originally posted by OCrossland
    Will send over an email now, thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,364Posts Today

6,013Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin