Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jsndwn
    • By jsndwn 10th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jsndwn
    Advice with car insurance
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    Advice with car insurance 10th Oct 16 at 2:28 PM
    Hello all,

I am needing some urgent advice as I am unsure what to do.

In July 2016 I was involved in a little bumper to bumper bump. The other driver was at fault and we decided to go privately and he pay all costs. A few weeks after I was unsure he'd actually pay up so I decided to report the incident and keep it open just in case the other driver never paid up so I could make a quick claim if needed.

A few weeks later the driver paid up and my car was repaired and everything sorted privately.

Now I have just had my renewal through for my insurance and my premium has gone up (almost doubled) and I've lost my no claims bonus for that year.

I really don't understand as no claim was ever made through neither insurance companies and now because I was worried I wouldn't get my car repaired privately I am getting penalised for nothing.

Should I of reported the accident in the first place?
    Should I of just claimed to begin with?

Does my insurance company have the rights to do this even though no claim or costs from them ever occurred?

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 30,238 Posts
    • 14,325 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    You did comply with your policy conditions by reporting the incident.

Make sure your insurer is aware your costs were paid by the third party and get them to close the incident and reinstate your lost ncd and amend your premium

(You did claim off the third party and this will now be on your record meaning you need to disclose it when applying for insurance quotes in the future
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 6,929 Posts
    • 6,518 Thanks
    Linton
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    Car insurers succeed or fail depending on their correct analysis of risk. They will set their charges accordingly. If their statistics show that people involved in an accident are more likely to have another one than people who are accident free, no matter whose fault it is, then they will charge more. Perhaps you live in an area where there are an excess of careless drivers.

Yes, according to the Ts&Cs, you should have reported it, and should also report it when you apply for new insurance.

Suggest you get quotes from elsewhere - car insurance is a highly competitive business and companies are always looking to get more customers. If you wish to stay with your current insurer let them know the good deals you have been offered, the chances are they will find a reason to reduce the amount they want to charge you.
    • jsndwn
    • By jsndwn 11th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jsndwn
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    Thanks for your feedback.

I have closed the claim, however my premiums have still shot up which I think is unfair as the accident had nothing to do with myself.

Should I have lost my NCD that I would of earned this year? That's what my insurer are telling me and they're fully aware that no claim was ever made through either insurer.

I will be going elsewhere now as this is all ridiculous, can anyone recommend any insurers?

Many thanks.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 30,238 Posts
    • 14,325 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    A no fault claim (which you had) does often result in increased premium. Shop round for the best deal! (See the MSE guide for tips: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/?_ga=1.228902620.1308021328.1470158878 )

Your insurer is trying it on over your NCD.

Start the ball rolling with a complaint (their complaints procedure will be set out in the policy docs).

Then if you are unhappy with their reply you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you.

It's a no claim bonus, and you made no claim, and had no claim against you!
    Last edited by Quentin; 11-10-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,286Posts Today

7,104Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin