Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 1,541Posts
    • 5,659Thanks
    Ilona
    0 WOW
    Cheap accommodation
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap accommodation 10th Oct 16 at 2:00 PM
    I had a three day walking holiday last week around the Hebden Bridge/Todmorden area, fantastic scenery. My accommodation was the Youth Hostel at Mankinholes. I am a member so it only cost me £7 a night, stayed two nights, it's £10 for non members. I took my own food, there is a well equipped kitchen. The only other expense was petrol, two hours drive, so a very cheap holiday indeed.

Just wanted to sing the praises of Youth Hostels. Now is a good time to use them, as prices are lower out of season. Also I was the only one staying so I had the place to myself. There are some smashing locations, and some of them are like mansions, Hartington Hall for instance in Derbyshire. Worth a look if you are planning a few days away. Google YHA

Ilona
    I love skip diving
Page 1
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 10th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 6,643 Posts
    • 35,130 Thanks
    tattycath
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    Thanks for the heads up Ilona. Good to know.
    I'm pleased you had a good holiday.
    GE 36 *MFD December 2027-target 2020
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    EF £100/£2000 - SSF £350
    Mortgage : £5,935/£10,000
    November: £118.00/£200
    November £77.00/£250
    Savercard Christmas savings £150
    19/3/16 = 176lb
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 10th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 6,247 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    Yes - I've stayed in the same hostel before and its a nice one with a lot of character in an interesting/distinctive part of England.

I didn't carry so much food as I was on two wheels for that trip but the Top Brink Inn a few minutes walk away did a very nice dinner and good beer!
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    Yes - I've stayed in the same hostel before and its a nice one with a lot of character in an interesting/distinctive part of England.

I didn't carry so much food as I was on two wheels for that trip but the Top Brink Inn a few minutes walk away did a very nice dinner and good beer!
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Good point. Those travelling on two wheels and those who walk there may not have the capacity to carry very much. The pub has a menu at the hostel so you can ring up and book and your meal will be ready. It's a short walk across two fields, take a torch and don't trip over the sheep, ha ha.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 10th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 2,126 Posts
    • 23,632 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    I agree. They're amazing for people on a tight budget.
    My fave is this one near Whitby http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/boggle-hole It's recently been refurbished.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    My fave is this one near Whitby http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/boggle-hole It's recently been refurbished.
    Originally posted by WeAreGhosts
    Yes, Boggle Hole is good, great for coastal walking, I haven't been there for ages. Park at the top and walk down to it, as it's right next to the sea. Service vehicles have to wait until the tide is out before they can drive down there. I must go back and see the refurb.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 10th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 6,247 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:40 PM
    Originally posted by WeAreGhosts
    That looks lovely! - I've stayed in Whitby and other hostels in that are but never Boggle Hole.

This is making me want to say "hang the arthritis" and get a bike going again in the spring!
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 6,247 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    I must say that even though I'm biased towards the small/remote Scottish Hostels, Yorkshire is one of the best parts of the UK to visit using them.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    My elder brother is 69, and loves yoof hostels, particularly in Yarkshire.
    He gets about wih his bus pass, and survives on Ruddles or Samuel Smith's bitter.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 11th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    My elder brother is 69, and loves yoof hostels, particularly in Yarkshire.
    He gets about wih his bus pass, and survives on Ruddles or Samuel Smith's bitter.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Ha ha, that made me laugh. A chappie turned up at Mankinholes YH on the bus when I was there. There is a bus stop right outside the door. A good cheap way to travel. I did a bus pass holiday once, bus and walking from North Lincolnshire to the Lakes, staying at hostels. It was fantastic, I like to get out of my comfort zone and have an adventure.
    ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 18,753 Thanks
    Doc N
    I suspect the accommodation standards are dramatically higher these days than they were when I last used them a long, long time ago!

I did plan to use them in London not so long ago, but the prices were pretty much on a par with Travelodge, so I chickened out.

Cars are OK these days, I gather?
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 22nd Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    I suspect the accommodation standards are dramatically higher these days than they were when I last used them a long, long time ago!

I did plan to use them in London not so long ago, but the prices were pretty much on a par with Travelodge, so I chickened out.

Cars are OK these days, I gather?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Motorised transport is fine and no chores!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 5,877 Posts
    • 18,753 Thanks
    Doc N
    Motorised transport is fine and no chores!
    Originally posted by Jackieboy
    No chores? Wow - that really is a huge change! More and more tempted by this - particularly as we both have life memberships from way back that have barely been used!
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 22nd Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    No chores? Wow - that really is a huge change! More and more tempted by this - particularly as we both have life memberships from way back that have barely been used!
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Lots of twin rooms as well, at least in some hostels - also no ban on alcohol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,403Posts Today

5,738Users online

Martin's Twitter