Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Sarahbinj
    • By Sarahbinj 10th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Why can't I pay with standing order?
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    Why can't I pay with standing order? 10th Oct 16 at 1:54 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I bought my daughter a phone on finance through RateSetter. I pay the same amount ever month.

I changed to a credit union bank account last month as I have been having issues with my bank and I can only pay standing orders out of my new account. They don't have the direct debit function.

I have tried to speak to RateSetter about a standing order and they have said I can do a standing order but it can only be done if the account goes into arrears ... so each month for the next year I can pay by standing order but my account has to be shown as having be paid late. I have asked why I can't just have it set up for a couple of days before and they have told me I can't do this.

I can also ring up and pay by debit card every month but will be charged a £1.50 fee every time I do this.

Basically they only want me to pay by direct debit.

It does not make sense to me at all ... I can understand if it's a variable payment but it's the same amount every month. I have spoke to a few people and they all said no to a standing order.

Help someone?
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 10th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 28,032 Posts
    • 15,909 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    Ratesetter set the rules. You were made aware of them (and agreed to them) when you took out the product.

Your only* option, if you want to avoid the £1.50 fee is to reinstate the DD on your bank account. If you closed it (it's not clear from your post), then open another elsewhere and incur the first £1.50 fee for paying by debit card.

* It may be the case that ratesetter allow a DD to be paid from an account not in your name. You'd need to check.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,854Posts Today

7,219Users online

Martin's Twitter