Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 1,101Posts
    • 1,329Thanks
    shortcrust
    Lloyds Home Insurance - no question about structural movement?
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    Lloyds Home Insurance - no question about structural movement? 10th Oct 16 at 1:05 PM
    My sister is looking at a Lloyds quote for home insurance on her new home which suffered some structural movement over 10 years ago. If she puts this into price comparison sites she gets a limited number of quotes and they're all quite pricey. However the quote direct from Lloyds is less than half the price. They don't appear to have asked about structural movement and I can't see anything in the T&Cs that would stop her using them. Are we missing something?
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 10th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    Is it an assumption on their quote?
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    Is it an assumption on their quote?
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    I've just found this on the final page:

The home including any brick, stone or concrete outbuildings:

Does not currently have any damage which you know is caused by subsidence, or have been advised could be caused by subsidence

If subject to any previous subsidence damage, has had that damage fully rectified and is no longer required to be monitored.
    I think the last bit applies to her. Damage was repaired and monitored up to 2005 and the recent survey confirmed no movement since then. I'm assuming she's good to go?
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 10th Oct 16, 1:29 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:29 PM
    Sounds like it.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    A lesson not to rely on comparison sites too much. Answering yes to this question on Go Compare results in it saying that Lloyds were unable to quote.

To the best of your knowledge, has the property, its site or the surrounding area within 400 metres ever suffered from subsidence, landslip, heave or tree root damage?
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 10th Oct 16, 2:08 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:08 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:08 PM
    Now I can understand why they do this on comparison sites. If they didn't decline, and the majority of the rest of the market did (as you mention they do in your OP); they would get 'selected against'.

Declining on aggs is a common thing for insurers where they are willing to write soft non standard, but don't want to pick up a disproportionate share of the market.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 6,929 Posts
    • 6,518 Thanks
    Linton
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    Suggest she talks to an insurance broker.. They will know which insurers are most appropriate for her circumstances and she may well get a better offer than the comparison web sites say.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin