Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kyotikid
    • By kyotikid 10th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kyotikid
    POA for my mother reclaim PPI?
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    POA for my mother reclaim PPI? 10th Oct 16 at 12:55 PM
    Hello,
    My mother has recently gone into a nursing home suffering from dementia. I now have power of attorney. It's occurred to me she may have been misold PPI at some point -but her papers have been in great disarray. I wonder how I might check whether she has been misold
    PPI. I'm writing to her bank to start but don't know historically what else she might have taken over the years. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Mark
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 17,247 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    Remember that it's not somehow "wrong" to have insurance. As such, not only will you need to ascertain whether your Mother had PPI, you'll also need to have evidence that it was mis-sold to her. She'll hardly be able to provide such reasons in her current state of health, so you'll be limited to only factual statements and can make no accusations without proof.

You'll also have an uphill battle trying to find out if PPI was purchased from other institutions unless you can find documentary proof (like statements) from your Mother's archive.
    • kyotikid
    • By kyotikid 10th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kyotikid
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    Many thanks for reply.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    Simplest way to check if she had it (again, not saying it was miss-sold) is to ring up anyone she had a credit card and loan with and ask
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 17,247 Posts
    • 7,786 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    ring up anyone she had a credit card and loan with and ask
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Despite the Power Of Attorney, I doubt the OP will be able to ring up random institutions and ask if his/her Mother had PPI.
    The OP will need to provide account numbers and pass security, so I would expect only written requests for information to be successful. Of course, written requests will cost £10 each so could prove expensive if no PPI is found.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    Despite the Power Of Attorney, I doubt the OP will be able to ring up random institutions and ask if his/her Mother had PPI.
    The OP will need to provide account numbers and pass security, so I would expect only written requests for information to be successful. Of course, written requests will cost £10 each so could prove expensive if no PPI is found.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    PoA should avoid the £10 SAR route especially if they have paperwork though might involve going into branches
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

5,052Users online

Martin's Twitter