Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crowjane
    • By crowjane 10th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 36Posts
    • 11Thanks
    crowjane
    Bathroom refit - finding a good fitter - Bedfordshire
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    Bathroom refit - finding a good fitter - Bedfordshire 10th Oct 16 at 11:57 AM
    Hello

We have a limited (£4-4.5k) budget and two bathrooms to renovate. The downstairs 'cloakroom' is just replacing loo and sink and some pipework to hide, upstairs we need new flooring, tiling and new suite installed, the plumbers that have quoted so far have come back with installation prices between £2.6- 3.8k. Not leaving us with much budget for actually buying anything to install! The cheaper quote - we found that the guy made excuses then stopped answering our calls, when we actually wanted to go ahead with the work.

So help - wisdom - advice please... We have asked for local recommendations from friends - one didn't turn up, the other was a sexist pig and refused to give me a quote until we had ordered the stuff from his mates shop... so that didn't get us anywhere. Arrgh - I officially hate bathrooms and bathroom fitters at the moment. There must be a way to get decent, simple, affordable, bathroom fittings and a reliable fitter - I just have not found it yet.
Page 1
    • crowjane
    • By crowjane 10th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    crowjane
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    Just to add I also used check a trade and my builder web sites for the plumbers that quoted for us.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 10th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:25 PM
    I would get some recommendations from friends and family for reputable installers. I would never get recommendations off of the websites that companies have to pay to use.
    • crowjane
    • By crowjane 10th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    crowjane
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    Thank you Phil, as I say in the first post I did get local recommendations and neither worked out well - unfortunately. I have found that if a fitter has no need to get the work ( has plenty of jobs lined up) then they don't seem to worry too much about not turning up to quote in the first place, and if someone fails to turn up I am not going to chase them as the trust has been lost.

I totally understand about the issues with trade endorsed sites - but if your local connections don't pan out what are your options?
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 10th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:42 PM
    Go to the local kitchen/bathroom places for some recommendations?
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 10th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    Ask for recommendations on here from people local to you...where are you incidentally?
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 11th Oct 16, 6:28 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,828 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:28 AM
    • 11th Oct 16, 6:28 AM
    No guarantee of getting a fitter, but have you tried your local safe trader scheme?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin