Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 10th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 374Posts
    • 227Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    Having the kitchen and lounge in the same room
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    Having the kitchen and lounge in the same room 10th Oct 16 at 11:23 AM
    Does anyone else really hate this? It's a common feature in new build flats and mostly down to the lack of space. However, I recently done a viewing at some new build homes down the road from me. All at least 4 bedrooms and have a garage. Floor space is quite decent but again they the kitchen and lounge are in the same room.

I just can't understand why anyone would have this. My main gripe is the noise if wife is cooking and I'm watching TV or smells lingering after you have cooked.

I remember one viewing we done and you could open the oven from the sofa!
Page 3
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 13th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 4,044 Thanks
    Kitchen with a table/ kitchen diner is wonderful when you have small children as you can keep an eye on them while you are cooking etc. baby can sit in high chair with a few toys, small children around table with drawing / playdough etc. Also I used to love the table to have the newspaper spread out to sit and read for a few moments between chopping , stirring etc. These days it would be my laptop I guess !

I used to hate it when we had a small kitchen, couldn't see the children and no where for me to sit between stirring pots etc.

I do think it is important to have another living room to go to between though to leave the mess etc behind, especially with visitors and so the 'small people' can free range safely.

However space costs money and you have to live where you can afford to, now we are looking for a bungalow for retirement and the ones with one big kitchen / living room and two tiny bedrooms get a definite thumbs down from us , but we can't afford the bigger ones either
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,720Posts Today

6,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin