Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 10th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 1,172Posts
    • 2,742Thanks
    Claree__x
    Drying Washing in a Cupboard?
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    Drying Washing in a Cupboard? 10th Oct 16 at 10:52 AM
    I'm looking at various options for our newbuild flat and trying to find the most inoffensive place to put a clothes dryer and I've been considering these fold down ones from Ikea;
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/laundry-cleaning-products/drying-racks/grundtal-drying-rack-wall-stainless-steel-art-10177178/

There's a big cupboard in the hall which these would easily fit into and keep the washing out of the way but I'm concerned that drying clothes in a small/enclosed space probably isn't a good idea? This is probably a really stupid question and that's why I'm asking on the internet and not asking my mum
Page 2
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 11th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 6,482 Posts
    • 10,744 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Surprised so many people have tumble driers. Aren't they ridiculously expensive to run? and damage clothes?
    If you have the space to put airers or a garden to dry clothes you will save a fortune surely?
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 11th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    phil24_7
    They don't damage clothes if used correctly and they aren't terrible to run (though obviously more expensive than air drying!) as they are more efficient nowadays.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Surprised so many people have tumble driers. Aren't they ridiculously expensive to run? and damage clothes?
    If you have the space to put airers or a garden to dry clothes you will save a fortune surely?
    Originally posted by andrewf75
    I'm surprised so many people hang wet clothes up in their house and run dehumidifiers when tumble driers are so cheap to buy and run and get the job done much more effectively.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 11th Oct 16, 1:04 PM
    • 6,482 Posts
    • 10,744 Thanks
    andrewf75
    I'm surprised so many people hang wet clothes up in their house and run dehumidifiers when tumble driers are so cheap to buy and run and get the job done much more effectively.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    I have a spare room, don't need a dehumidifier it dries in a couple of days. In summer it goes on the line outside.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I have a spare room, don't need a dehumidifier it dries in a couple of days. In summer it goes on the line outside.
    Originally posted by andrewf75
    See I have a young family so won't allow the household air to be damp and mouldy. Also, being in Scotland means we probably have fewer days available for washing to hang on the line. I've also had issues with clothes getting smelly before they dry properly when I hang them up wet.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 9,686 Posts
    • 6,506 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    We have a tumble (heat pump) and it's incredibly economical.

I don't know why you think they damage clothes, it's the person putting the clothes in that might cause damage - exactly as in a washing machine. Put wools on a boil wash and it's a fast-track to the divorce courts!.

We have plenty of space (fields and acres of garden) but washing won't dry outside in damp or rainy Cornwall some days....no matter what you do.
    "I suggest you read who's thread this is and you will find its MINE". sic
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,911Posts Today

6,223Users online

Martin's Twitter