Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 10th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 1,172Posts
    • 2,742Thanks
    Claree__x
    Drying Washing in a Cupboard?
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    Drying Washing in a Cupboard? 10th Oct 16 at 10:52 AM
    I'm looking at various options for our newbuild flat and trying to find the most inoffensive place to put a clothes dryer and I've been considering these fold down ones from Ikea;
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/laundry-cleaning-products/drying-racks/grundtal-drying-rack-wall-stainless-steel-art-10177178/

There's a big cupboard in the hall which these would easily fit into and keep the washing out of the way but I'm concerned that drying clothes in a small/enclosed space probably isn't a good idea? This is probably a really stupid question and that's why I'm asking on the internet and not asking my mum
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 55,989 Posts
    • 321,734 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    The difference between damp/wet washing and dry washing is the absence of water.

To dry that water has to leave the clothes and go somewhere.

The best place is outdoors, not indoors.

What I did in a limited space was get a folding dryer that fitted into my shower cubicle, so I could at least get it out of the way of the loo and it'd be in a room "most suited" to damp items.

A small dehumidifier close to a drying rack anywhere would get your clothes dried quickly and deal with all that excess wetness.

The rack you linked to will also hold ... pretty much bugg4h all of any use.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    Probably not a good idea if the cupboard isn't ventilated - and even if it is, you may find that anything else in there gets damp/mouldy.

Do you have room for a condenser dryer as well as a washing maching?

You may feel differently, but I wouldn't have a washer/dryer combo if I were given one for free.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 10th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 4,528 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    I bought a heated dryer from Lakeland and it is cheap to run. Cheaper than a tumble dryer that is. It's in what was the coal house and now houses a small central heating radiator and the boiler.. I keep the door ajar or half open to allow the damp air to escape. I have sturdy string strung across in there too so effectively two small washing lines in there.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 10th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    Before we bought this house two years ago we looked at a new build 3 bed detached, small lounge and kitchen/diner, noticed in the show house there was no space for washer/drier and the sales person opened the cupboard under the stairs to reveal the washer drier. We did not proceed.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 6,482 Posts
    • 10,744 Thanks
    andrewf75
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    er, no you can't dry washing in a cupboard!
    Just get one of these, there must be room to stand it somewhere! just move it to the bedroom when you have people round.
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/3-tier-concertina-indoor-clothes-airer/761-5786.prd?pageLevel=&promoId=promo40030070&skuId=76 1-5786&gclid=CKKepqST0M8CFbEy0wodL_0NRQ&gclsrc=aw.ds &source=others
    Last edited by andrewf75; 10-10-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 10th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    Claree__x
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    Thanks everyone. As I said, I thought it was a daft idea but always good to get confirmation

We don't have a dryer (washer/dryer or otherwise) and unfortunately no outdoor space either - and being in Scotland, it wouldn't be much use if we did most of the time! I'll just need to keep thinking.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 10th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    phil24_7
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    Hang it on an indoor airer in a spare bedroom. Put a dehumidifier in there on its clothes drying setting and close the door.
    Last edited by phil24_7; 10-10-2016 at 3:27 PM.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    If you had a dehumidifier in the cupboard, it would probably work. I'd rather use a drier.

It's rather unconventional, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Oct 16, 12:58 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    You don't have a drier... so get one! You can even sit one on top of a washing machine.
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 10th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    Claree__x
    If I had a spare room I wouldn't be thinking about putting my clothes in a cupboard, eh? I have an integrated washing machine too and a relatively small kitchen so no where to put a dryer.

We've got by until this point with a clothes airer in the livingroom/kitchen/wherever it'll fit but I was just hoping for a better solution in our new place.

Considering a dribuddy, any opinions?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dri-Buddi-d04db10100000001-JML-1200W/dp/B007RDEPHM
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 10th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    rach_k
    I used to dry things in the airing cupboard and leave the door ajar. It worked well, but it was warm because of the hot water tank. I didn't do much at once, just a couple of those sock airer things that look like an octopus.

I would get a freestanding airer and try it out. If it doesn't work, you can move the airer elsewhere - somewhere warm and with a window would be good. Is the cupboard somewhere that you could leave the door completely open sometimes?
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    The tumble dryer can go in the cupboard! We had ours in a cupboard for 3-4 years and never had any problems.
    • Claree__x
    • By Claree__x 10th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 2,742 Thanks
    Claree__x
    The tumble dryer can go in the cupboard! We had ours in a cupboard for 3-4 years and never had any problems.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    There's no electricity points in the cupboard so I'd have to run wires from the hall, which is not particularly the look I want in the entrance. I don't particularly want - nor can I really afford - to buy a dryer at this stage
    • sysadmin
    • By sysadmin 10th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    sysadmin
    We use our DriBuddy daily and its excellent - had it about 3 ir 4 years and if it broke tomorrow id go out and replace it immediately.

It just saves having piles of clothes hung in view on a airier or over a radiator
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 10th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    In the future if you can afford a drier it would probably be pretty easy to install a socket in the cupboard, my Dad did this for me by extending off of a socket on the other side of the wall. My condensing drier lived very happily in the cupboard for many years!
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 10th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 4,528 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Here's the Lakeland heated dryers, I would definitely replace mine immediately if it broke down.
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/drysoon/
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 24,745 Thanks
    Gers
    At a previous house we re-used the redundant airing cupboard as a drying space. Once the big old water tank was removed (condenser boiler installed) we had a socket put in there for the dehumidifier and a three tier expanding metal clothes horse both fitted in perfectly. No wet washing.

Now we're back in Scotland we use the spare bedroom and dehumidifier just the same on days when the sun isn't out.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 10th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 6,815 Posts
    • 14,649 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    If the cost of a dryer is a problem, consider looking on Freecycle. That's where I got one for my daughter.

Mine is in my kitchen, in the space under the stairs. However, I'm thinking of moving it into my bedroom as it will free up space that I need downstairs. There's only me and my kids that ever go into my bedroom, so I'm not bothered about the dryer being there.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 11th Oct 16, 7:21 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 6,169 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Sorry, it doesn't answer your original question but I find that hanging as many items as possible on hangers helps to save space and hurries drying which might help in your situation. They can also be moved around on to over-door hangers etc to finish off. I used to use a cheap hanging rail on the landing which could easily be wheeled into a spare bedroom if I wanted them out of sight! Using the heat that rises over the stairs makes a big difference.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin