Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happypuppy
    • By happypuppy 10th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 156Posts
    • 17Thanks
    happypuppy
    Private landlord -Credit and Right to rent check
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    Private landlord -Credit and Right to rent check 10th Oct 16 at 9:13 AM
    Hi All ,
    I am a private landlord. Is it possible for me to do the relevant checks such as credit check and right to rent, for the potential tenants I have found myself?

If this is not possible is there another option without having to use a letting agent?
    Thank you so much for any information.
    TIA
Page 1
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 10th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    sheff6107
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    You can do it online: http://www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/tenant-screening.html

Or you could simply ask your potential tenant to provide you with their Noddle / Clearscore / Experian log in details, or ask them to provide a printout.

Credit checking is a complete ripoff. There's no reason why tenants couldn't just hand over the information themselves at no cost to anyone.

You only really want to know if they have any CCJs and if they keep missing credit card payments.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 8,849 Posts
    • 11,854 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    If a potential landlord asked me for login details to view my credit files I'd tell them to jog on. I do not give my passwords for anything out to anyone.

You can do your own immigration checks online:

https://www.gov.uk/landlord-immigration-check

Are you a member of a landlord association as I think some if not all offer services to reference tenants?

https://www.nlatenantcheck.org.uk/services.aspx

You might find G_M's guide for New Landlords useful as it does cover referencing tenants.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,408 Thanks
    Guest101
    You can do it online: http://www.experian.co.uk/background-checking/tenant-screening.html

Or you could simply ask your potential tenant to provide you with their Noddle / Clearscore / Experian log in details, or ask them to provide a printout.

Credit checking is a complete ripoff. There's no reason why tenants couldn't just hand over the information themselves at no cost to anyone.

You only really want to know if they have any CCJs and if they keep missing credit card payments.
    Originally posted by sheff6107
    So much wrong with this......

OP right to rent is straight forward: ask to see their passport.

Credit checks- well letting agents only see public records, so really you'll want to do the same and get employment references ( a copy of last two payslips would also help)

9/10 your gut feeling is the best way to go.
    • happypuppy
    • By happypuppy 10th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    happypuppy
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    Thank you so much sheff6107 ,
    I will ask them to provide Noddle / Clearscore / Experian login details.
    I guess details about CCJs and missing CC payments are included in the report from Noddle / Clearscore / Experian?
    Thank you so much again
    • happypuppy
    • By happypuppy 10th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    happypuppy
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    If a potential landlord asked me for login details to view my credit files I'd tell them to jog on. I do not give my passwords for anything out to anyone.

You can do your own immigration checks online:

https://www.gov.uk/landlord-immigration-check

Are you a member of a landlord association as I think some if not all offer services to reference tenants?

https://www.nlatenantcheck.org.uk/services.aspx

You might find G_M's guide for New Landlords useful as it does cover referencing tenants.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    Thank you so much Pixie5740 ,
    I can become a member of that LL association and get the check done. Thank you so much
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 11,958 Posts
    • 11,408 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    I guess details about CCJs and missing CC payments are included in the report from Noddle / Clearscore / Experian?
    Thank you so much again
    Originally posted by happypuppy
    Will you be doing the same for your tenants? Giving them your login details?
    • Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 10th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    If a LL told me to give them my in depth credit file (login details!) I'd tell them to p**s off - how I choose to make CC payments is nothing to do with them. Publically held information, such as CCJ's, is available for all to see.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 10th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 20,457 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    Thank you so much again
    No don't do that, you're causing hassle for your tenants by asking for that as they will have to create and possibly pay for an account, and why would they want you to be able to log in willy nilly?
    Can't you just ask them for employment and previous landlord references?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Oct 16, 12:05 PM
    • 37,015 Posts
    • 40,940 Thanks
    G_M
    As pixie says: all these Qs, (and many others) together with relevant links to gov and private websites, are within this post:

* New landlords: advice, information & links

That post is in turn within the followig thread:

* Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants

Topics covered:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

* Deposits:
    payment, protection and return

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?

* Repossession: what if a LL's mortgage lender repossesses the property?

* New landlords: advice, information & links

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?

• bris
    • By bris 10th Oct 16, 12:51 PM
    • 6,142 Posts
    • 5,099 Thanks
    bris
    If a LL told me to give them my in depth credit file (login details!) I'd tell them to p**s off - how I choose to make CC payments is nothing to do with them. Publically held information, such as CCJ's, is available for all to see.
    Originally posted by Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    That's all fine and well but if you really wanted the property then you would soon change your mind when the LL told you , no problem, find some where else.
    It's all very well being the big shot when it's not you who could be losing out on their dream home.

Bottom line is the biggest thing for a LL is affordability, if you have nothing to hide show the LL and get the deal done. it's not as if you can't change the log in details after the check is complete.
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 10th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    That's all fine and well but if you really wanted the property then you would soon change your mind when the LL told you , no problem, find some where else.
    It's all very well being the big shot when it's not you who could be losing out on their dream home.

Bottom line is the biggest thing for a LL is affordability, if you have nothing to hide show the LL and get the deal done. it's not as if you can't change the log in details after the check is complete.
    Originally posted by bris
    I wouldn't call it being a "big shot" - giving my login details to a stranger is something that I've never heard of in the rental sector. When I rented, the publically available information, and a letter from my employer confirming my salary was always enough.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 8,849 Posts
    • 11,854 Thanks
    Pixie5740

Originally posted by bris
    Did you know that it's against the T&C to let someone else access the accounts for services such as Noddle, Clear Score and Credit Expert?

"You may access and use our website and our Services only for your personal use on your own behalf and not on behalf of anyone else. You must not engage another person, company, partnership or other entity to access our website or our Services on your behalf. You must not order, or attempt to order, credit information about anyone else through our website."

Now as a potential landlord would you want to enter into a contract with someone who freely flouts the terms and conditions of contracts?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Brightspark87
    • By Brightspark87 10th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    Brightspark87
    Hi

As someone who rented for over 10 years privately and through agents and only recently bought my first home - please do not ask for the tenants credit report.

It is horrid to hand that over to your landlord and would put me off renting from you. I was asked to do this and bank statements in London and I refused - why should I show you how I spend my money? You are the Landlord not their parent. I provided payslips, a statement from my employer and met them face to face - more than sufficient.

Search public records if you wish, but honestly, please don't ask them for their credit record log in. This won't show if they are a good tenant.

Check with your land lords insurance as to what they require as checks for new tenants and use logic from there. From my experience public records search (CCJ etc) and employer statement would be sufficient.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 373 - Target £300- Total £56.78
    married in 2014
    Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014

Debt Free July 2016
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 10th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 14,311 Posts
    • 36,432 Thanks
    FBaby
    It is horrid to hand that over to your landlord and would put me off renting from you
    Didn't you need to do this to the bank to get a mortgage? How is this any different. Landlords get shafted all the time by tenants who face to face seem very pleasant and lovely and would never ever not pay rent and refuse all communication.... until they stop paying the rent, refuse all communication and need to be taken to court to evict, leaving the landlord £100s if not £1000s out.

You understand that they would rather do anything to minimise the likelihood of this happening.

In any case, no-one is forced to do anything. You don't want to show your bank details, don't pick a landlord who demands it. If a landlord ends up with no interest as a result of their demands, they might decide to be less picky.
    • By Bluebirdman of Alcathays 10th Oct 16, 5:18 PM
    • 2,679 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    Didn't you need to do this to the bank to get a mortgage? How is this any different.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    It's actually really really different x
    • Malmo
    • By Malmo 11th Oct 16, 12:09 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Malmo
    Didn't you need to do this to the bank to get a mortgage? How is this any different
    Originally posted by FBaby
    At a guess, a bank is a highly regulated lender that loans thousands of pounds against property as security. A landlord perhaps doesn't do this and expects an agreed rent from the tenant?
    • anselld
    • By anselld 11th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 4,318 Thanks
    anselld
    Thank you so much Pixie5740 ,
    I can become a member of that LL association and get the check done. Thank you so much
    You can do full referencing here for £29 without needing to be a member ...
    https://www.rla-tenant-referencing.co.uk/services_full.aspx
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 11th Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 900 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    It's actually really really different x
    Originally posted by Bluebirdman of Alcathays
    It's not that different. In both cases you provide credit and effectively entrust a valuable asset to someone.

So both landlords and banks have the same valid reasons to access the information.

The difference is really just that the information is sensitive so there are restrictions to prevent any random person from accessing it, and thus only selected organisation have access.
    • Brightspark87
    • By Brightspark87 11th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    Brightspark87
    It's not that different. In both cases you provide credit and effectively entrust a valuable asset to someone.

So both landlords and banks have the same valid reasons to access the information.

The difference is really just that the information is sensitive so there are restrictions to prevent any random person from accessing it, and thus only selected organisation have access.
    Originally posted by Miss Samantha
    It is very different - why should I show you as a landlord my credit report? You have no need to know that. I am not borrowing any money from you and you are NOT FCA authorised therefore not offering any form of protection from my point of view for managing money - simply entering an agreement to pay you money for a service - do you have to show your credit report for joining a gym? Of course you don't. You can see public records etc and that covers you for insurance if you have to make a claim if I fail to pay rent.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 373 - Target £300- Total £56.78
    married in 2014
    Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014

Debt Free July 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,353Users online

Martin's Twitter