Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    • 2,645Posts
    • 18,236Thanks
    ziggy2407
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10 10th Oct 16 at 7:36 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stashbusting Challenge 2016 - 80/52
Page 5
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 16th Oct 16, 8:03 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 8,657 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning foxgloves enjoy your day! I'm a bit geeky and have a spreadsheet for presents, I list all people we buy for in a table and then gave a column for birthdays and another for Christmas. When I have an idea I type it in (if I'm just pondering) and then colour it green when I get it, if I just buy impromptu style I add it after (say sale shopping) to keep track. I gave it going back to 2010 so I can also check I'm not giving the same gift over and over

Today will look like:
    Go for a run
    Try and make a start stripping DD bedroom
    Would have liked to have gone in garden but it's raining
    DDs at party later, gift from stash
    Making roast and crumble for tea. Have meat sliced from a previous roast, just need to get out of freezer
    Search out a new duvet. Ordered one from a high street chain for click and collect, but when I went to collect it they had sent it back as they on,y keep it for 48hours have to say their customer service was shocking. Have some money in house piggy for this
    Check surveys and FPL

Enjoy your Sunday. PF.
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Oct 16, 8:08 AM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 29,474 Thanks
    determined new ms
    foxgloves I'm confused! Please help me - ok I started the heel flap and knitted 16 sts and prepared to turn and now I just don't know what to do! I still have 6 stitches on one needle so how can I knit back the other way? How am I meant to go knit back the other way? with what needle?
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 16th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Morning all enjoying the free coffee in the hotel room this morning. I do the same for Christmas gifts PF every year I start a Christmas list on excel in October and then collect gifts over the three months and write it down as I go. I keep an eye out for bargains. I've already got some gifts to regift and bought one or two bargains. I need to update my 2016 list when I get home. I've got a stash of Christmas cards from last year so no need to buy them. I'm loving extreme couponing and bargains, home bargains and B&M Facebook posts they keep giving me loads of cheap ideas. I've missed the land posting day for the USA (damn) so I might have to send it late.

I also log how much I spend against each person and have to set a budget for my DD otherwise I'd just go bonkers!!!
    Last edited by LuckyPenny; 16-10-2016 at 8:58 AM.
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs, £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, Ice Age bundle

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,851/£9,972 Christmas 2016 Saving #75 £181/£334
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 16th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    I thought the last posting day for the USA was 10th December?
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 16th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    I thought the last posting day for the USA was 10th December?
    Originally posted by squishylove1989
    Hi Squishy yes that's the airmail date. I've missed the land mail date which is cheaper.
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs, £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, Ice Age bundle

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,851/£9,972 Christmas 2016 Saving #75 £181/£334
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 16th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    Raining here today, so no gardening.
    I will put a loaf on
    Make some apple chutney
    Finish knitting DH's socks
    Knit 20 rows of my scarf so it is finished before it gets too cold.
    Proud to be mortgage free
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,441 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I am enjoying a relaxing weekend. I've done all the rubbish housework and schoolwork jobs for the weekend so today is all about family time and continuing my crafty Christmas. It won't be a nsd because dd has asked if we can go for a carvery today and I have agreed. She so rarely asks for anything and it's been ages since the 4 of us have done anything as a family. I'm looking forward to today so I hope that it goes ok.
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 16th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Afternoon all Hubby and I have been to pick up a baby changing unit this morning, it retails at nearly £100 and we got it from gumtree for £40, all it needs is a new mat for the top which I got in home bargains for £6 so a bargain! We then went for breakfast, all you can eat/drink for £8.99 each so I went crazy and filled myself up! I'm going to a friends house this afternoon for sunday dinner so no cooking for me! Otherwise today I will/have:

- Check bank accounts - Done, just about getting through until payday on Friday!
    - Surveys/Swagbucks
    - Snacks from home
    - Collect changing unit - Done
    - Tidy up as health visitor is coming on Tuesday and it will take me a while!

Have a lovely Sunday everyone x
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Baby Boy Due on 21/11/2016
    November NSD 0/6
    • woollisox
    • By woollisox 16th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    woollisox
    Hello everyone!

Been spoilt today as it's my birthday and I'm being taken out for a meal so technically a NSD for me, but I have a feeling it's going to be costing OH a small fortune (all you can eat world cuisine buffet - definitely OH's choice as I would have liked a carvery).

Money-saving things for today:
    Not many as I'm going out but
    *Tidy up spare bedroom to fit the new sofa in
    *contact insurance on our old sofa to try and replace the cushion covers that have ripped (horrible littlewoods quality! only took the covers off to wash and they ripped as I was pulling them off!) so we can sell the old sofa and put some money in the kitty for xmas.
    *sort out rubbish and recycling as our bins now get emptied fortnightly and I don't want to have to go up to the council tip to throw some more stuff away (renovating atm so getting a skip is in the somewhat distant future for the rubble currently piling up in the back garden and the old storage heaters).
    *washing the work stuff ready for tomorrow but drying it on the line so saving on dryer costs.
    *Making the lunchboxes for tomorrow (back to work after 9 weeks off! )

Think that's about it, can't really think of much else today.

Take care x
    • maria3104
    • By maria3104 16th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 9,074 Thanks
    maria3104
    Have managed 2 consecutive weekends spending nothing. Going nowhere. Done sewing. Made chutney. Cleaned my bedroom.

2 items half knit not started to finish yet.

M
    2016 plan
    Do menu planning.
    Declutter
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 5,558 Posts
    • 29,474 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi everyone happy Sunday. There's a lovely glow to the sky at the moment, very crisp and autumnal.

Roast pork in the oven as I type. hm yorkshires doubled up and I will freeze 1/2, as well as par boiled more potatoes than I need to freeze so there's a quick mid week roast along with lo pork

Went to a charity clothes swap today. Paid £5 and got 3 cardies, a skirt, a t shirt, and a long sleeved top (which I need to take in the sleeves as being a titch they are too long!)

Went and got madam some craft items - spent £7, £2 she contributed so £5 to me. Well worth it as it wasn't the greatest contact yesterday and her behaviour has been out of kilter today (sadly this is normal for a kinship child) insecure, angry, crying, generally not the best behaviour and just not herself. 2 hours of crafting later and she's returning to herself

Did the heel flap. Now on to the next stage sure with the help of youtube and some concentration I can do it!

have chopped a load of BNS to roast and make some soup

an ebay item sold, so will parcel up using recycled packaging. Loads didn't so will relist later

Just need to get lunches/clothes/bags ready for tomorrow and relax

Happy birthday wolliesox x
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 30,431 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Not a NSD today, as we went out to another town and had a pub lunch there - we ordered a sandwich, but they came with chips, salad and coleslaw, so I haven't bothered to roast the chicken I had planned for today!

Came home and made soup from squishy tomatoes and bendy courgettes instead (very nice, recipe at https://theflexitarian.co.uk/recipe-items/courgette-tomato-basil-soup-vegan/ if anyone is interested). I doubled the quantity but only added 1.5 litres of veg stock, as I prefer a thicker soup. I also skinned the tomatoes and removed the cores, didn't add basil because I don't have any in..... Made loads, plenty for lunches etc in the week. OH raved about it, and was quite shocked when I explained it is actually a vegan recipe

Other than that, I have sold 4 ebay items, so need to get those packed up ready for posting tomorrow.

Seems to be warm enough without lighting the stove tonight, so that will save some firewood

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 16th Oct 16, 10:03 PM
    • 7,995 Posts
    • 51,264 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Bob, what is 500 coupon?
    Thanks LP
    Originally posted by LuckyPenny
    500 points. I have had 2 of them and today a 1000 points voucher all for free just with the coupons they normally spit out. Think that's worth £10 in total.
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.66 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,230.57 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 16th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    Evening all,
    Productive afternoon here saving the pennies. I made a couple of jars of green tomato chutney, after DH dug up the remaining plants. There were a few small potatoes lurking in the bottom of my vegetable basket so I peeled and cooked them for potato salad tomorrow. Just some soup to make and freeze tomorrow with remaining red toms.
    NSD here and used kettle on woodburner this evening for free hot water for evening drinks.
    Proud to be mortgage free
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 17th Oct 16, 10:44 PM
    • 2,091 Posts
    • 9,406 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    As a new week has started so has a new thread, come and join us

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5542104
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter