Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    • 2,645Posts
    • 18,236Thanks
    ziggy2407
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10 10th Oct 16 at 7:36 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stashbusting Challenge 2016 - 80/52
Page 4
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 14th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    So its my non working day today, I'm shattered but I've got myself started by doing some chores. MS things today:
    - sorting through some paperwork to make space in my spare room where I keep my ebay sales and Christmas/birthday stash
    - writing a shopping list and going shopping to Aldi and then probably Home Bargains and Poundland. I'm going to look at the meat and veg offers online before I go shopping.
    - payday so checking my bank accounts and shift some extra money to pay off my credit card.
    - wrap eBay parcel
    - hopefully facebook sale person comes this aft as planned.
    - I'm going to pack away my summer clothes. I'm tempted to buy some new clothes so hoping a good sort out will remind me of all the lovely clothes I already have.

Thanks all for today
    LPx
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs, £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, Ice Age bundle

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,851/£9,972 Christmas 2017 Saving #75 £4/360
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 14th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 15,309 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Managed not to buy brekkie even though we don’t have much in – had a pear that looked past its best, some dried figs and a free shortbread biccie from my hotel stay.

Also managed lunch – oatcakes and hummous. Also have some more dried fruit in my drawer and free drinks all day

Tonight is salmon, sweet potatoes somehow (fries maybe…) and asparagus (bought T’s frozen asparagus – look great – can just use what we need and always have them in).

Desperately need to sort YNAB as haven’t done it since Weds (work trip away getting in the way).

Got a newbie at my class last night so that’s good.

OH is working today – seems to be picking up so keeping fingers crossed…

Need to look for my credit card tonight so I can sort out the bal transfer at some point… Can’t quite remember where I put it since taking it out of my purse!

Also need to start thinking about car insurance and first MOT…

Night in tonight.

Happy Friday!
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 14th Oct 16, 4:15 PM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Sending get well vibes to e everyone that needs them. I'm still without a voice. Drinking plenty of fluids and pacing myself today.

This evening I am taking my nephew to his weekly training session, I agreed to this before I was ill, I will be taking snacks and drinks with us to stop us spending. I'm likely to rest in the car whilst he trains instead of watching him.

Today has been a NSD, my first since Sunday, usually I'm a lot better than this.

OH wasn't at work today so we tackled the kitchen as it had turned into a dumping ground, we have done about three quarters and sorted out 3 cupboards as well as checking that there is no fruit, veg or fridge contents that needs using up sharpish. We did this in small bursts with rest breaks between. We've decided to finish for the day as OH's back is playing up a bit and I'll need my energy to drive dn around.

No heating, on dd has chosen to wear a short sleeved dress, we have blankets and jumpers if anyone needs them. I'm surprised that OH didn't light the stove this morning as it was misty until about 11am, not that it was any cooler, he just normally see's that as a justification.
    • woollisox
    • By woollisox 14th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    woollisox
    Hi everyone,

*NSD
    *Fixed the bathroom sink and the piping outside from offcuts from when I fixed the kitchen sink
    *No heating (haven't got heating options in the house but it makes me feel like I chose to be cold if i put it on here lol)
    *Not cooking tonight, probably have a micro pizza later
    *Going to bingo later, but as it's my birthday Sunday I'm using the birthday voucher that they gave (Hoping it brings me luck!) so still, NSD

Can't think of anything else I've done today money-saving wise.

Tc x
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 14,386 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Friday People,
    Hope all the Poorlies are starting to feel better in time for the weekend. A few money saving offerings today. Here goes:
    *Cleaned downstairs using washable cloths & minimal products. Just got upstairs to vacuum & that will do. I'm not a lover of cleaning....though it's not as heinous as ironing!
    *Changed bed-linen. Will wait for a dry forecast & get them on a cheap overnight wash.
    *Wrapped ebay parcel using recycled packaging.
    *Re-listed several items which didn't sell.
    *Grimsby fishman delivered my order. Divvied it up into portion sizes & froze. Saved the plastic corrugated box it arrived in as this comes in half to make 2 excellent free seed trays.
    *Postman brought £5 John Lewis voucher from my CC points. It's paid off in full each month....but I just love vouchers.
    *Did mid-month budget check-in. I get really twitchy if I can't get this done. I feel like there might be money leaking away on stuff I've forgotten about. I guess that's a result of me being a relative convert to budgeting. Most of my adult life has been very different with money......I could fritter it away within a week of pay-day back in the spendy years. Things look OK, & should end the month with a surplus IF none of my budgets go awry between now & Oct 27th, which is my next Big Budget Day.
    *Sorted out home & contents insurance renewal. Or rather, I didn't renew. I cancelled my existing policy which is paid up to date & bought one from the same provider online. This year, I've been paying £19 a month. The renewal quote was for £27 a month. I ran the exact same details through their online quotes & it was £16 a month. Now (rant coming!), we haven't put in any claims & I understand UK inflation to be under 2%. I don't care HOW many times providers tell me 'I'm sorry, it's industry standard, Mrs Foxgloves", it's a rip-off. Loyal returning customers should not have to subsidise new ones at renewal time. I bought the identical policy online as a new customer & instead of an annual total of £329.51, I'll be paying £191.04. So a saving of £138 on what they thought I might like to pay. I was pleased with that saving, even though it's bloody time-consuming! (Rant over!)
    *Did a small task for the online brand forum I'm on at the moment.
    *Used the last of this week's apple bucket by stewing a bowlful for breakfast, dessert, etc.
    *Finalised meal plans. Had to alter original plan as had forgotten we are eating out twice next week.
    *Write shopping list. Only one thing on it so far......a cheap shop, lol, but not going to get us very far, must do it as soon as I sign out of here.
    *Continue knitting Mum's present. It's growing really well now, but there's a making-up instruction which I am not looking forward to, as it's a technique I avoid if at all possible. Think on this garment, I shall have to bite the bullet. booo!
    Anyway, better get this last bit of hoovering done, then I can sit on my bum with my knitting.
    Have a nice evening, all.
    f x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund = £2107-27
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £195
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Oct 16, 6:59 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 8,676 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Evening all, late post and didn't manage yesterday due to event at work. Good news is:
    Yesterday work provided lunch, tea, coffee and wine
    I won a £50 voucher for a national restaurant chain
    Went shopping with DM today, she bought me a coffee and lunch. I drove
    Bought 5 Christmas presents - must update present sheet and move money from present piggy
    It's payday was awake before 5, so did big budget shuffle before anyone was up and felt all straight and ready to go, with accounts looking lovely
    Loaded DW and wm to go on overnight tonight
    Sold 2 more higher value items on fleabay and bits on 2 smaller ones. Will list another shortly.
    DH made lovely batch of soup
    I made batch of muffins and shared at work, using stuff from use up box

Tonight:
    Chill in front of box - maybe bake off
    Don't go to bed too late
    Wrap latest sale to post tomorrow
    Double check October progress on to do/annoying thing list
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 14th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 29,503 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi guys late one for me. Not long been in as had to work a bit late as I had a longer lunch to do a ms assignment. £25 to eat a fast food chain lunch (then had to do another - same chain - this evening I had a bite to check quality and then gave the rest to oh!)

Have now racked up my 5th NSD in a row this week did go into town & looked in a cs for an oversized hoodie (to combat the cold I'm feeling!) but decided actually I have 3 - although they are fitted not oversized - and they will do

Foxgloves thanks for your post it made me go and check the weather forecast and I will now put a load in this evening to peg out tomorrow

oh going out tonight so I am home alone making comforters - actually doing it tonight! - some knitting of sock. Will be at the heel flap tonight Mrs F and then a hot soak in the tub.

Before any of that I need to write ms reports & submit and put in ms assignments/work expenses in my spending diary.

oh is currently upstairs reading bedtime stories and he is putting a lot of effort in! Can hear various voices & peels of laughter from madam

awww that Friday feeling hope you've all got it x
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 14th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    So its my non working day today, I'm shattered but I've got myself started by doing some chores. MS things today:
    - sorting through some paperwork to make space in my spare room where I keep my ebay sales and Christmas/birthday stash
    - writing a shopping list and going shopping to Aldi and then probably Home Bargains and Poundland. I'm going to look at the meat and veg offers online before I go shopping.
    - payday so checking my bank accounts and shift some extra money to pay off my credit card.
    - wrap eBay parcel
    - hopefully facebook sale person comes this aft as planned.
    - I'm going to pack away my summer clothes. I'm tempted to buy some new clothes so hoping a good sort out will remind me of all the lovely clothes I already have.

Thanks all for today
    LPx
    Originally posted by LuckyPenny

Slow start today but managed the above.
    I also got 100 bounts points for filling in a questionnaire about eating out and I've entered a few comps. Well done on the win PF as you can see I love my comps; I just love it when I hear about someone winning or even better me winning!!

Night all
    LPx
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs, £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, Ice Age bundle

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,851/£9,972 Christmas 2017 Saving #75 £4/360
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Oct 16, 8:01 AM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 29,503 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Yippeeeeeee it's Saturday I feel after 2 months of working it is perfectly justifiable to have that weekend feeling

Been up an hour with madam and thinking about getting ready and heading to the lottie for a bit to continue with the digging season Looking at the dates I planted my turnips should be ready to pull in the next couple of weeks don't think I've ever had turnips before!

Plans for today:

* washing in machine ready to put out in a bit. Might have to ask oh to do it when it finishes as likely I'll be at the lottie
    * meeting up with dd at the local library for contact today - lots to do there including a free museum. Prob will get a coffee and cake
    * going to get a winter hat from G0 0utdoors and have borrowed a friends discount card so it is £7 and not £12
    * get mince out of freezer for tea tonight & pork joint for tomorrow
    * pick a load of apples as I have pprocessed/eaten all the ones I had
    * bff & godson popping in for a coffee and a catch up this afternoon. We will have hm twinks biscuits with coffee
    * I might make them a apple crumble to take to say thank you for the discount card
    * need to book a hotel for next month as we are going to the big smoke for mine, my db's & my dsil's birthday
    * knitting - really going to be doing the heel today I watched a youtube tutorial yesterday and think I have got my head around it!
    * games & film & a bottle of wine tonight
    * earnt £47 extra this week with 3 ms assignments & a fleabay sale sent £10 to a friend who goes to Calais and gives food and other donations to the refugees. Felt good to be able to help in a small way £7 for the hat, £10 to get me through to payday and £20 into debt savings pot
    * photo and draft a few more things to list on fleabay

Think that's my lot for today. Happy weekend everyone x
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 8,676 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning determined and all that follow sounds like a lovely day determined, enjoy!

I too have made a start:

Made blueberry muffins for breakfast and snacks for the weekend - in oven
    Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Meals from stores/freezer - DH made chorizo and lentil soup yesterday so that will be lunch
    We're going away Wednesday so need to check what needs eating before then and what small bits I might need to buy
    Been using a product from my use up box in a regular recipe I found. Looks like we like it so much I might need to buy another bag
    DD to dancing /swimming - fees paid already
    DH worked o/t last night, will be the last for a month or so, but extra always welcome
    Wrap a fleabay sale and post that and another from Thursday
    Buy a pattern for a jumper I want to knit and work out how much wool I need and cheapest place
    Friend present from stash for party tomorrow that both DD are going to - not sure of etiquette- assume 1 present is still acceptable when 2 of your children go and they don't need one each

Right off to get ready to take DD swimming.
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 15th Oct 16, 9:44 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 8,339 Thanks
    Bagpuss741
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. Changed bed linen and cleaned bedroom
    3. Consumer Pulse and Senses surveys
    4. Listen to podcasts
    5. Ironing
    6. Scan laptop with free anti virus
    7. Revise for exam
    8. Check budget for next week
    9. FPL
    10. Meals from stores
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1423.76As of 14/05/16
    One debt to go
    Sealed Pot Member#019
    • maria3104
    • By maria3104 15th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 875 Posts
    • 9,074 Thanks
    maria3104
    Morning all.
    Loving listening to podcasts. My new passion.
    Dogs walked
    2 loads of washing done
    House looks like a bomb has hit it so I have gone back to bed to ponder!
    Have a good weekend all
    M x
    2016 plan
    Do menu planning.
    Declutter
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 15th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 896 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Morning all Well yesterday was my last day at work before I start my maternity leave on Monday! I got a lovely card from everyone at work and then afterwards we went out for dinner, they paid for my meal, all I bought was 2 drinks (soft obviously!) and they got me lots of lovely presents, clothes for baby, bibs and socks and then some chocolates and alcohol for me for when I can have a drink! We've both been very spoilt! Anyways my list for today:
    - Check bank accounts - I've had to borrow £40 out of my ISA maternity savings, I paid for my petrol with the "pay at pump" option and it just debits £1 from your account until it clears, so I thought I had more money then I did! Stupid me!
    - Surveys/Swagbucks
    - Go into town to return a baby jumper I bought
    - All meals from home
    - Tidy up and load of washing - In the tumble dryer though as weather is not good here!
    - Pop to Matalan, need to get some more of their £4 long vests, the only thing that covers my bump at the moment!

I think that's all for the moment, I'll update later! Have a great weekend all! x
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Baby Boy Due on 21/11/2016
    November NSD 0/6
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 15th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 15,309 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Off to the in law's later so FIL's nice cooking later

Going to a yoga thingy tomorrow and it's a veg buffet lunch so need to take something... Have sweet potatoes to use up so thinking about doing something with them...

Sorted YNAB and checked payments coming in too

Need to get on with housework before we leave for the weekend so I best get off.

Catch up soon!

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Oct 16, 5:33 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 30,450 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Wrote a long post yesterday and the site timed out, so I will control + C this one in case it happens again! No problems with any other sites, just this one, so it wasn't my broadband - anyone else had problems?

Today's snippets:
    Sold 2 ebay items
    Listed some more things
    Walked dog this morning, attempted to this afternoon but he wasn't having any of it because it is raining. Even with his new coat on, he made it quite clear that if I insisted on going out in THAT, he would be inside my coat, looking out and walking was out of the question - ok, I did try and that is the reaction I got
    Walked to the surgery for my flu jab this morning
    Called into sales unit on the way back - nothing had sold Might do online only after Christmas!
    Cut 3 courgettes
    Watered quince tree and blueberry - before itdecided to pour down with rain
    Picked quinces, I have a basketful and a mixing bowl full, lots of quince jelly this year - might see if I can think of anything else to do with them! I think I will add dried herbs to the jelly this year, some of it anyway!
    Made a nice curry with some pork mince and various bits and pieces
    Chopped up 3 wrinkly red peppers, put half into curry and froze the other half

Now got to do something with a big bowl of tomatoes - soup I think!

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 15th Oct 16, 7:26 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 14,386 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Money Savers,
    Today's offerings:
    *Grocery shopping came in at £14 under budget this morning (Aldi & Waitrose)
    *Using up bowl of homegrown squash in tonight's meal.
    *Free coffees in Waitrose & free sample of lovely chocolate.
    *Posted ebay parcel.
    *Parked outside castle which is free, rather than paying parking fee in town.
    *Finished knitting Mum's present. Will do the finishing off when the daylight is good as it's a joining technique I don't like doing.
    *Cast on S-i-L's present. Oooh, wish it was mine. Yarn is soooo scrummy :-)
    *mr f has lined a dvd up for us for tonight, so free entertainment.
    *Still no heating on. Both agreed that it just hasn't been cold enough yet, which is fine by me, as I'd rather spend out a bit more on energy when it does get cold, rather than be racking it up now when I'm still fine in a warm cardi (& my handknitted socks, which are toasty).
    Talking of which......DNMS.....hope you are approaching that heel with confidence, Missis, lol....looking forward to hearing you've sussed it.
    Have a nice night all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 15th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Away this weekend staying in a premier inn whilst visiting MIL.
    - topped up with fuel at supermarket before went on the motorway - collected points
    - bought pastries and porridge (to make with water) in the morning, saving £8 on the breakfast down stairs.
    - had packaged lunch on the way down.
    - wombled a Costa receipt. Got a couple of coffees and used AA card to get discount.
    - got hooked on the topcashback competition - finding the flying hummingbird for cash.
    - signed up for topcashback last week to get free roses chocs for trick or treaters.
    - topped up my Costa gift card saving 10% (sorry work only site)
    - postcode lottery
    - checked MR apps nothing doing
    - 1 ipoll survey
    - will relist eBay sales and Facebook sales tomorrow
    - BIL making Sunday dinner tomorrow, bought a reduced price cake today to take along
    - planning to wash and dry mine and DD's hair at hotel in the morning
    - thinking I might call into the supermarket on the way home near to closing time and get some reduced priced sandwiches for the drive home.
    - enjoying the free tea and coffee in the hotel room! Slurp slurp

Have a good weekend LP x
    Last edited by LuckyPenny; 15-10-2016 at 9:27 PM.

• Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 15th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 8,004 Posts
    • 51,394 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Hi All

Small things from me

1. Scanned a 500 coupon at Mr S
    2. Used up the last 2 cuppa soups in a pack that had been rejected
    3. Religiously sticking to no heating. We can do another month.
    4. Brought food home from the event today.
    5. Checked banking. I have 'lost' £55 in cheques that I sent off in a paying in envelope a week ago. Bank say cancel them but they have just been slow before so don't want to jump in too quick then find they have arrived. Will give it till Tuesday.
    6. Netflix for entertainment. Still the best value on the market even at £7 a month
    7. Home made trifle for dessert which used up stale cake and cream
    8. Reciepts cleaned out from purse
    9. Cycled everywhere today so no travel spends
    10. OH and I in one room so all other lights out in the house

Think that's me

Bob
    £790 to pay =70% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 December £0.75 2016-£55.16 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £2,230.66 2015 £1027.20
    NST December
    PAYDBX #7 £1910.53/£2,700 (70%)
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 15th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Hi All

Small things from me

1. Scanned a 500 coupon at Mr S
    2. Used up the last 2 cuppa soups in a pack that had been rejected
    3. Religiously sticking to no heating. We can do another month.
    4. Brought food home from the event today.
    5. Checked banking. I have 'lost' £55 in cheques that I sent off in a paying in envelope a week ago. Bank say cancel them but they have just been slow before so don't want to jump in too quick then find they have arrived. Will give it till Tuesday.
    6. Netflix for entertainment. Still the best value on the market even at £7 a month
    7. Home made trifle for dessert which used up stale cake and cream
    8. Reciepts cleaned out from purse
    9. Cycled everywhere today so no travel spends
    10. OH and I in one room so all other lights out in the house

Think that's me

Bob
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    Bob, what is 500 coupon?
    Thanks LP

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 16th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 14,386 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Campers,
    Mr f has to work today, so I have lined up a nice money saving task for myself. I'm going to turn out the presents box & make a detailed list of what gifts have already been bought for people. I've been squirrelling things away in thst box since January. We have lots of winter birthdays in our family too. So, time for a definitive list, including how many jars of my homemade preserves I will need to tart up with festive ribbons, etc. Will also count cards, as I bought lots half price in January, & see if I have birthday cards for all these coming birthdays too.
    Then I intend to put a colour on my yukky roots & crack on with the gifts I'm knitting.
    Have a good day all.
    F x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,433Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter