Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    • 2,645Posts
    • 18,236Thanks
    ziggy2407
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 10/10 10th Oct 16 at 7:36 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stashbusting Challenge 2016 - 80/52
Page 2
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 11th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Ziggy thank you for starting the thread this week.

I have been failing to post on this thread for ther last few weeks, no big reason just life getting in the way. I have mostly managed to keep up with the goings on with the help of the weekly thread and subscribing. As I go about my day I mentally write what I am going to post and respond to what I have read on the thread.

La E could you freeze the cordial in portions in an ice cube tray so it will last morethan a couple of days?

DNMs Please can you enlighten me what are comforter bars?

Today is very wet, so no washing drying outside today, we did manage to dry 2 loads outside yesterday though
    This morning we need to get all our usual things done, chores and lessons, this afternoon we are going to a HE group and this evening we are off to the theatre with a different HE group.

Today I plan to:
    Prioritise posting on this thread
    Open curtains fully
    Close curtains before it gets dark
    Pass on a bag of dd out grown clothes to a friend
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use
    Make bread
    All meals, snacks & drinks from stores
    No heating, we have jumpers
    HWB for children's bed tonight if they ask
    PAD 1p - 3.66p
    Ashleigh
    FPL
    RM survey
    Make porridge, this is a priority as I haven't been organised enough to have any for the lst couple of days.
    Run DW overnight
    Run WM overnight

I'll try and pop on later with an update.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 29,503 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Ziggy

DNMs Please can you enlighten me what are comforter bars?
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe
    they are the bubble bath bars that you get from lu$h that you break a bit off and put in the bath

http://agesofbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/holy-moly-bubbles-of-joy.html

ooooo I might do this in a minute!
    Last edited by determined new ms; 11-10-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 11th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 15,309 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hello there

Ooh, I probably could freeze the cordial as ice cubes BB…Just need to sort my freezer out first but that would be a go-er…

Here’s some other bits from me:
    Still using my Rok deodorant – can’t honestly believe how many years they last!!
    Lunch is organic wholewheat pasta on special offer – 85p down to 37p – with half a can of value toms, frozen broccoli, onion granules, garlic powder, salt, pepper
    Extra spoonful of porridge oats at brekkie keeping elevenses at bay
    Putting cheque in at lunch
    Card from stash for pal
    Asked OH to update YNAB as I’m all reconciled

x
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 11th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    they are the bubble bath bars that you get from lu$h that you break a bit off and put in the bath

http://agesofbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/holy-moly-bubbles-of-joy.html

ooooo I might do this in a minute!
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Thank you for enlighten me, I had no idea what they were, this looks much more fun than anything my brain was coming up with. I got very excited following links and looking how to make them, realising they were something I had the skills for and how they would make great presents and then realised nobody we know baths they are have showers
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 11th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 29,503 Thanks
    determined new ms
    tee hee BB! I can't wait to make them! realised oh has the colours so need to wait until this evening. Sadly you have to leave them 5 days to dry out...
    • maria3104
    • By maria3104 11th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 9,074 Thanks
    maria3104
    Hi All

Am on target, I have £55 to last me until 20 oct and so far doing OK.

Weather here is stunning and as I am sat in work all the men are outside doing hedging fencing and shed repairs. Glorious.

I need to menu plan as I have let this lapse AGAIN.

Never ending my lapses!
    Just seen that foxgloves has done the same chutney as mine. Hope it is all yummy. I have also done apple and chilli, our eating apple crop has been incredible. Raspberries are coming to an end.

Have a good week all.
    M x
    Last edited by maria3104; 11-10-2016 at 4:53 PM.
    2016 plan
    Do menu planning.
    Declutter
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 11th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 30,450 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Stressful morning as the recon washing machine I was having delivered for DS from a local charity project arrived broken - the delivery driver was lovely, but a bit scatty, and hadn't strapped it in place in the van and it had got thrown about in the back of the van . Alongside that, he nearly got stuck on the sharp bend at the end of our back lane, threatening my neighbour's wall Anyway, the charity phoned with apologies and they are going to send another machine on Thursday. Hopefully OH will be here then to sort out any stuck lorries

Anyway, apart from that, I have:
    Walked dog
    Packed and posted 4 ebay parcels (took ages to pack, as they were breakable items - fingers crossed they get there ok. In fairness, they generally do!)
    Popped into Lidl while I was out, as their Greek yogurt is the best ever! Also went to Sainsburys, but only to help myself to wine boxes for packing, didn't spend anything in there. Felt slightly guilty, but it isn't as though I don't spend in there every week! And if I take them, they don't have to pay for disposal
    Sold 2 more items, more packing to do!
    Listed 1 more
    Hoovered stairs
    DD and OH polished off the left over quiche I had earmarked for dinner, so thinking cap on!

Hope Ally is ok, haven't seen her on lately....

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 11th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 8,677 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Evening all. No time to post this morning as I dozed over with 2 DD who had found their way into bed with me busy day but lots of good things:

Sold another fleabay item, must package up and move funds
    Moved yesterday's fleabay funds to savings, split between 2 pots
    Checked banking, surveys and FPL.
    Tea from freezer
    Washing dry outside until it got cold then inside on airer
    Watch recorded programme on tv
    DH picked up overtime shift on Friday
    Picked 3 cherry tomatoes
    Half a tub of ys soup for lunch, rest tomorrow
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 11th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Thanks foxgloves and determined new ms. Pepper is chopped and in the freezer. Not worried about the crispness just as long as it doesn't go to waste.

Nearly made it a NSD until I spent 15p on a pack of YS Mr K lemon slices in tesco express. I find the best time to go in there is about 7pm but don't get the opportunity very often. I very rarely buy cakes these days as I prefer to make my own but think I would struggle to make them for 15p.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £7,952.15 (25%)
    Hope to be debt free by 30 (December 2016)
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 12th Oct 16, 3:06 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,104 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Can't sleep so I thought I'd get up-to-date with MSE news. I've been busy at work the last couple of days so haven't had chance. It's always good in a wG because I've had 2 NSD's.Other than that:
    - work lunch yesterday
    - parcelled up eBay sale
    - relisted 2 books on Facebook
    - exchanged strawberries that had gone off too quickly
    - checked postcode lottery/ipoll/MR apps
    - read MSE newsletter
    - got a query on an MR I did last week which I must follow up
    Think that's it for the last 2 days. Can't wait for payday on Friday 😃
    LP
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs, £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, Ice Age bundle

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,851/£9,972 Christmas 2017 Saving #75 £4/360
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 12th Oct 16, 7:12 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 15,309 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

I didn't win the euro millions so thought I'd pop by and say hello

I'm away with work tonight so looking forward to a free meal and a nice hotel stay.

Just the usual apart from that on the cheapo porridge brekkie and packed lunch - that's what really keeps me on the straight and narrow as £5ish a day is crazy otherwise.

Have asked Santa for £££ towards our holiday rather than 'things'.

Catch up with you soon! Best go pack...
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Oct 16, 8:46 AM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 29,503 Thanks
    determined new ms
    ha ha so I'm inferring from that La E if you did we'd be dead to you!

Hi LP we're NSD twins not sure if I'll make it a hat trick today as will be taking dgd out as we stayed in yesterday and 2 days on the trot are not good for her. I'm slightly stumped as to what to do because I've woken up and it's been bucketing it down.... Need to think what to do!

I was quite tired out with my efforts yesterday so going to take it easy today, just keeping costs down, using food in stores, leisure/free activities - knitting, reading, making comforter bars (today I will actually do it!) and playing with madam with things we already have.

Tonight I am meeting my bff and going to the local spa to use the sauna, pool & hot tub. We do this every few months and it's only £12.50 for an hour Probably go for a drink afterwards to extend the catch up
    Last edited by determined new ms; 12-10-2016 at 6:30 PM.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 14,386 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Wednesday Savers,
    Yesterday's list was a bit hit & miss due to hassles like malfunctioning washing machine, crashed banking website, etc, so still catching up on some of that. Today's stuff:
    *Dinner will be leftovers of the huge cottage pie I made yesterday.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Worked all morning in veggie garden.
    *Pay off CC in full if website is working today.
    *Wash hair & dry naturally.
    *Bit of a soak in the bath & a pamper, in which I'll be using all sorts of odds & ends of products which are ready for using up.
    *Knit more of Mum's present. It's growing faster now I've finished both the lace panels.
    *Laundry all dried overnight on heated airer, so as to run it on cheap tariff.
    *Mr f on very late shift tonight so will amuse myself with free leisure - reading, updating my blog, knitting & catching up with recorded tv progs.
    *No heating on yet. Have a snuggly rug if it gets chilly later & cat is usually toasty if I can get him to lean on my feet.
    OK, off to see if online banking has stopped messing about.
    Bye for now,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund = £2107-27
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £195
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 9,414 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Today has been a bit of a right off. I woke to no voice, sore throat, a heavy head and my chest feels as if someone is sittting on it, I also feel tired and a bit achey.

I haven't even managed a NSD as my friend kindly chauffered my children to one of our regular Home Ed groups, so I needed to pay subs for that. Did give me over 4 hours to my self to rest.

All meals today are fromstores including our contribution to the bring and share lunch. Children's dinner tonight will be HM from the freezer, I just need to ping it at dinner time. Not sure what I fancy I may have the same as them or soup, I'll decide later.

I had a shower and washed my hair earlier (hoping the steam would ease my chest, it did a little) and let it dry naturally.

I have not used the heating, jumpers for those that need them.

I have been drinking plenty of warm drinks as this eases my throat, including lemon and honey.

I have also done the usual PAD, Ashleigh, FPL.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 29,503 Thanks
    determined new ms
    sorry to hear you're not well BB hope it's just a 24 hour thing x

jeez does not bode well for me that I am so cold! I really feel the cold weather and currently have a scarf, socks, donagol thermal socks on & slippers and I can still feel the chill! Only been truly warm when I have been cooking or sitting knitting with a blanket over my legs
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 5,561 Posts
    • 29,503 Thanks
    determined new ms
    ha ha so I'm inferring from that La E if you did we'd be dead to you!

Hi LP we're NSD twins not sure if I'll make it a hat trick today as will be taking dgd out as we stayed in yesterday and 2 days on the trot are not good for her. I'm slightly stumped as to what to do because I've woken up and it's been bucketing it down.... Need to think what to do!

I was quite tired out with my efforts yesterday so going to take it easy today, just keeping costs down, using food in stores, leisure/free activities - knitting, reading, making comforter bars (today I will actually do it!) and playing with madam with things we already have.

Tonight I am meeting my bff and going to the local spa to use the sauna, pool & hot tub. We do this every few months and it's only £12.50 for an hour Probably go for a drink afterwards to extend the catch up
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    So glad to have a restful day! We didn't go out afterall, madam was happy with games and toys at home.

I did the following things:

* used recycled envelopes to parcel up 1 ebay sale and something am sending for a friend
    * used up last patipan from the garden as well as runner beans cooked yesterday and then forgotten about!
    * used 2 small frying steaks (rescued from the brink of perishing by sticking them in the freezer) in a goulash - was so good! Just think that beef almost got thrown away!
    * I fancied something sweet this afternoon so cooked up a batch of twinks hobnobs
    * rescued a fancy shower gel & cream that has been sitting in my larder for 2 years (! ) and have put it in the bathroom
    * did some more knitting - sock is now 10 cms Foxgolves
    * signed up to do a ms assignment tomorrow for £15

Ok better go grab my sauna kit
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Oct 16, 7:09 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 20,454 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all
    Busy couple of days and I'm shattered, but feeling bad about not checking in more regularly.
    BB - hope that you're feeling better soon. You too Ziggy.
    Mad busy yesterday getting everything sorted out. DS started at his new football club last night. Thrilled that Friday training is no more, but Tuesday training is late for me.
    Got home today to a letter from the doctor's asking me to make an appointment to discuss my scan results. Easier said than done - it's a fortnight away...
    Managed to chalk up another nsd today - not yesterday as we stopped off at Mr T on the way home for a yellow sticker scramble.
    Other than that I've done the usual stuff - teaching, marking, endless meetings, time to check banking and a little PAD to the money box.
    Minimal housework, leftovers for lunch and plans for more crafting and an early night tonight. Hope that everyone is doing ok. I feel really out of the loop but also mad busy with everything.
    NST Dec #15 NSD 2/16 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (£634.37)
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 12th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 4,483 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Good evening all Sorry I've been awol for a few days, I've got an awful cold and I feel horrible so I'm going to bed about 8.30 each night! I haven't done much the past few days, have checked my bank accounts and gone to work! No house work or anything! Hopefully I'll be back and on it over the next few days! Take care all x
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Baby Boy Due on 21/11/2016
    November NSD 0/6
    • woollisox
    • By woollisox 12th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    woollisox
    Hello all,

I've been off for a few months (got made homeless by my former landlord, had to move in with my sister to save up some money, have now moved into a house that needs so much work doing to it that it'd be better to knock it down than fix) but I'm finally back and partway settled. Renovating is taking longer than expected but luckily we've managed to do quite well on the budget so far!

Have been lurking for the past week or so to get back into doing this, as I find it really helps keep spending under control when you have to admit what you've bought!

My day today:
    *LP and a couple of surveys on quidco
    *my house is all electric so waiting til cheap rates to switch the hot water on to shower and put washer on
    *no heating on (I currently have no heating so this is an easy way to save money lol)
    *went shopping with momma dearest but she bought lunch so free food! (did buy a new eyeliner so not a complete NSD)
    *hung clothes out on airers to dry rather than use my electricity guzzling and slowly dying dryer.
    *did some batch cooking / dump bagging a few days ago and had the leftovers from making cottage pies for my tea.

TC x
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Oct 16, 7:12 AM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 21,200 Thanks
    allydowd
    Ally not seen you for a while hope you're ok and not working too hard.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Hi,

Took a whole for me to get over the Plague and I've been working a reasonable 40 hours/week lately.

To be honest I've mainly just worked and laid on the sofa lately!

The only MSE thing I've done is not spend £250 on a tempting-looking smartwatch.

Hopefully will be getting a permanent contract for my job in January, if I can work til then without blowing it.

Haven't really felt like I've got much to offer you all.
    Last edited by allydowd; 13-10-2016 at 7:18 AM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    Holiday Savings Account of Joy: £2500
    Vouchers for Decemberfest: £32

"
    Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

431Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter