Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Oct 16, 5:36 AM
    • 2,340Posts
    • 26,931Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    O/S Daily Thread for Monday 10th October
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:36 AM
    O/S Daily Thread for Monday 10th October 10th Oct 16 at 5:36 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
Page 1
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Oct 16, 5:42 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 26,931 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:42 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:42 AM
    Morning all
    I was still awake gone midnight and awake again at 4 am, I tried to get back to sleep but was scared I was going to fall off the 18 inches of allocated bed space had. My L&M had got too hot and so rolled up one of his duvets into the middle of the bed, he already takes up 2 thirds of the bed on his own so I was left clinging to the edge.
    We visited DD! yesterday who was trying to decorate a bedroom in her new house with her 2 year old twins helping, I entertained them for an hour and my L&M stripped part of another bedroom.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 32,874 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    Morning everyone

HH - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and going to work early. DS1 now getting ready for work. DS2 still in his pit, I'll wake him in a bit once the others have already left as he doesn't have college on a Monday.

Still dark here, but air feels cooler and hopefully it's going to dry up underfoot, we had rain late yesterday afternoon/tea time and into the evening.

Lunch yesterday was roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, broc, brussels, leeks, peas, yorkshires and gravy, the pork was delicious and some LO's so that will become part of another meal. Tonight we're having egg, bacon, sausage, hash browns, black pudding, mushrooms and beans.

Back to work for me today, so we'll see what today brings. I'm opening with another colleague as the supervisor is on a days' leave and one of our other colleagues' is now on 2 weeks annual leave, always leaves us tight for staff, once 1 person is off whether it's for leave or sickness, it'll be even worse once new structure takes effect next April!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Oct 16, 6:44 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 6,469 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:44 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:44 AM
    Morning all, like Hester, I've been up since 4 but I went to bed rather earlier so nor too tired. It is still dark but lightening now - rather chilly though.

Back to work today and likely to be a very busy day. Normally I deal with emails while away from the office,, to avoid having often over a hundred of them waiting when I return but thus isn't a healthy approach and I wanted more of a break so will have all those to deal with and some ongoing stuff.

Last night's dinner was roast chicken etc. OH will be cooking during my working week as if left to me, we'd never eat until late evening.

I hope that everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 10th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 32,176 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    Morning All

Had a lovely weekend, the sun shone yesterday and I went for a bike ride with the family across the road (the ones I am doing washing for), we ended up stopping at a hostelry for a small refreshment!! Went for dinner at theirs, a lovely steak pie - I made the yorkies.

DD and bf are back from holibobs but I've not spoken to her yet, she sent a message last night to say that she wasn't feeling too good and had gone to bed, I'll speak to her later.

Washing about to go out, DW emptied, oven given a quick wipe out and washing up done. Bins have been emptied and the ironing finished. Need a lie down now, all the things I should have done last night!

Have a good week, happy memory day hilstep. Take care. XX
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 10th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 2,132 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    Morning all
    DH was up most of the night with a dicky belly. Not sure if it was something he ate of a reaction to the tablets doc put him on.
    Gonna leave early for work as I have a new engineer starting and I need to sort him out before the phones get turned over at 8.
    Dinner last night ended up as a Chinese as after a walk round the boot fair we was all shattered. So dinner tonight will be the chicken casserole.
    DGD and DD1 visited yesterday and she was a little grouchy as she had to visit her dad for an hour and wanted to stay with us instead.
    Anyhoo better get ready
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    • 4,533 Posts
    • 23,430 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    Morning everyone.

Yesterday was a quick gallop up and down the length of Buchanan Street searching for a particular type of fancy soap. Even having it in my car made my nose twitch and skip almost break out - rose scented.

Then I dropped one viditor at the airport. There's a very long piece of road designated as the 'dropping off' off zone but seems to be permanently full of parked cars and their drivers obviously waiting to collect. The result is chaos.

Anyway, then went to collect a parcel to take back to a neighbour after which I retired to my room for the rest of the evening.

Today I'm taking the second visitor to the airport and then carrying on home. I'll enjoy that. I may even get the back lawn cut today.

I hope all is well with you all. Happy Monday everyone.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 10th Oct 16, 7:16 AM
    • 6,078 Posts
    • 83,666 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:16 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:16 AM
    Morning all,

Dry here atm but very much colder no heating on yet but I don't think it will be long, we will need it on in the mornings at least as we are quite cosy at night.

We finished the painting and oiling of the wall / mantle yesterday it looks very cosy, so pleased we done it and that its finished in time for winter.

Off to work today and start of another long week 7 days this week which is always exhausting had a phone call from a colleague yesterday who had said it was so busy, they have cut the staff down from 5 to 3 at the weekends and think we can still cope, no one got a break at all yesterday and its getting this way every weekend now, I have raised my concerns but nothing has been done, its a bit horrible atm.

Chicken for dinner, I might do summer in winter chicken with pasta which is nice and easy, I also need to do an online shop tonight as the cupboards are getting bare !

Have good days all and good to hear from you Hilstep xx
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 10th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    Morning all
    Autumn is defiantly here very chilly and damp in Essex this morning. Dog has been walked and fed the WM and DW are whirring away took DH to work as i need to take DD1 to the dental consultant today as she needs to have a dodgy root canal sorted and its the first part today Need to finish sorting DS room before i collect him tomorrow
    Hillstep have a great day
    RRuby you have made me want a log burner
    Jackie O Congratulations to DGS
    Dinner tonight is something quick as will be running around probably chicken n chips
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    Last edited by tiredmum2; 10-10-2016 at 7:48 AM.
    • tru
    • By tru 10th Oct 16, 7:46 AM
    • 8,311 Posts
    • 39,063 Thanks

JackieO Lovely news! Congratulations to the happy couple xx

A surprise lunge from Scampi (damn cats!) when he's on his lead pulls on my hip and I'm in pain again . So I've decided not to walk him til my hip is stronger and can cope with the occasional pull. He actually seems happier and more settled having ball games in the garden during the day then a walk with some off-lead time on the field in the evening. Still feel guilty for not taking him out in the mornings though. Also feel guilty for making him walk in the mornings when he obviously couldn't cope with it.

I've had a lovely lazy weekend, ignoring housework apart from washing up after I've eaten

I have two loads of washing to do, I'll vacuum, dust, sweep and mop while the machine's doing it's thing then I'll sit and go over my list. I want to get all the free things done, then I can decide what to do about the things that'll cost money.

Apparantly the crazy clown craze has arrived in Gloucester. If one jumps out on me, he'll end up on the floor with a black eye.

The horrifying moment when you're looking for an adult but then you realise that you are an adult
    So you look for an older adult, someone successfully adulting
    An adultier adult
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 10th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 23,312 Thanks
    Morning, thanks for the thread Hester. Hope you manage to rest up today xx

We went to Hertfordshire for a family get together yesterday. Nice food but the staff were a bit off. Long day and felt shattered last night.

Today I am waiting for a call from an engineer as we need the gas meter changing at the church. Meant to be between 8 and 9. My Dad is in the UK so he will be coming this afternoon and staying for dinner. Not sure what to do yet so may need to pop out for supplies.

Hilstep - have a wonderful, memory-making day xx
    Gers - safe journey home xx

Hugs to anyone I've missed and have a great day,
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 9,328 Thanks
    Morning everyone,

Dry bright and cold here, we are due a lot of rain later so need to get washing out while I can.

Chores to be done this morning and then over to see DM this afternoon, we are trying to organise her friends to come over for a little tea party so hopefully will move on with that.

Not sure what plans are for this week, need to compare diaries with SIL for that and then see where we are.

Lovely to hear from you HIllstep, enjoy your memory day.
    Am sure Scampi will be fine Tru and better that way than you running risk of pain & damage

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 10th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Hello All - another busy day - sending hugs/positivity and xxxxx's to all who want them. To those in a dark place, keep going - I know you're probably tired of it, but keep on xxxx.

I hope everyone's ache/pains/ouches feel better soon xx

Keeping the radio off today, as I cannot bear to let the current carping and nastiness in the news into my home - will look for some interesting podcasts instead.

Household drudgery this morning - hopefully the sun will come out later.

Fridge audit done and dusted, and a list of use-ups made to make sure that they get used up first. No need to do the freezers as they are crammed - but I do need to do a master list of what's in there.

Used up quite a lot from store cupboard last week - need to keep doing this to get the hoard down.

Hope your days are good - be kind to yourselves lovely people xxxx

p.s. Thanks to Hester for getting the daily thread up
    Nov GC £000 / £200 28/10/16 - 23/11/16
    Oct GC £243.82 / £200 28/9/16 - 26/10/16
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 13,695 Posts
    • 106,472 Thanks
    Hilstep I hope you have a fantastic day at Sheffield Park I went there once with my OH in the spring and it was gorgeous The huge 'rhubarb' like plants around the lake have to be seen to be believed They are like triffids

Well another Monday morning chums and I am off to book club this morning.Its our 5th anniversary of starting up and one of the ladies is making a cake (be rude not to have a small slice )
    then home for lunch of soup and crackers and probably a bit of knitting before going to DDs No dinner to cook tonight as I came home with some lovely left over beef and veg from DDs last night enough for me, but not enough for her hungry tribe I shall make her a Victoria sponge cake in exchange NSD today as I have enough from my shopping trip on Saturday to last me a good week or more
    Hope you all have a good day ,its getting a wee bit nippier now so autumn is here and winter will soon be on its way

Cheers chums

JackieO xx

PS DD loves her 'strangled eggs' on a Sunday morning, she has called them this since she was a little girl
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

New month and Day 20 and 18/20 NSD so far spent £46.91 and have £13.09 left in my food purse
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 5,725 Thanks
    Morning all,

Misty morning today, nice and crisp. Had to scrape the windows of my car though.

I had a wonderful weekend in Campbeltown for some golf. The weather was better than perfect, blue skies and no wind. The courses were just beautiful with views over onto Northern Ireland. It was a bit of a costly weekend - well in my eyes. £160 all in. It's the GF's birthday on Saturday so I'm looking forward to that.

Back to work now *sigh*.

Hope everyone is well
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST (7/15)
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 9,987 Thanks
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

It is deffo Autumn, its blooming cold this morning. Blue sky but temperature below 10c brrrrrrr.

Bed has been stripped and is in the washer, hope to get it dry outside. I need to wash next weekend, the heating engineers will be here next Monday at 8am and the water will be off for most of the day whilst they take out the heaters water tank etc. Hope they put it back on at night, they cannot leave us without a flushing toilet. I will put the switch up on the E7 I am not wasting money heating a full tank of hot water to have them drain it off. I will leave a note on the meter cupboard to remind me to do it.

Monday clean to do, so better go and get on with it. Will need to lay the fire as well, think we will need it late this afternoon.

Supper tonight bacon fritatta, jacket spud and tomato salad. We have a couple of bananas they need eating up, so they will do for dessert.
    Tesco CC Used for diesel only. Paid off each month.
    • elona
    • By elona 10th Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 52,081 Thanks
    As the family helped me turn over my super king mattress yesterday I was able to put nice new bedding on and have laundry to hang outside.

There is still beef and veg from yesterday to eat tonight and will do an omelette for lunch. I have nectar points to use so will brave the trek over the bridge to do some shopping this afternoon.

Looks like a quiet week so might finally get an eye test done.

Management sounds oblivious to the concerns of work demands and I hope they finally wake up.

You really need to give your hip a chance to recover. You don't have anything to be guilty about as scampi is obviously happy and well cared for.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 10th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 8,710 Posts
    • 60,633 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Lot brighter here today, the weekend was horrid, grey and rainy from Saturday to Sunday Took MIL shopping in Bletchley on Saturday and she thoroughly enjoyed herself, got DS a nice coat and some bits for Christmas plus their usual Christmas Jammies so I am almost finished now, just fresh stuff and a few bottles of booze which will be paid for by Morrison's coupons to get now

Was a bit chilly last night but just put on Cardis and slippers, it is way to early to put the heating or light the fire, holding out as long as we can.

Dinner tonight is chicken and mushroom pie using the left over chicken from yesterday and I will make a nice chicken soup for tomorrow's lunch from what is left on the carcass.

Made two apple braids at the weekend one to say thanks to the man who gave us the wood and one to the man who gave us the carrier bags of apples, he sent me some russets yesterday as well

Caught up on washing this morning, the weather was too bad over the weekend so the basket was full again

Going to grab some lunch and go and see my friend this afternoon, plus I promised MIL a big pot for her Camelia because she hasn't got one big enough.

BFN xx
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 10th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 4,794 Posts
    • 46,092 Thanks
    Afternoon all,

Cloudy here today , cooler too, determined to get some moreblackberries this afternoon, also want to boil some crabs for jelly, they can drip overnight.....probably shouldnt really bother as we eat very little of that kind of stuff, tradition dies hard!

Horrified to hear of cycle path 'ambushes', so many people now seem to just care about themselves with no thought for others or their rights.

OH has been hitting the switch for heat to come in for an hour when he gets up in the morning, just have radiators in living room turned on, so not too upset.

Roast pork with whatever for dinner today, DD1 has volunteered tocook, so will just take it easy.

Hugs to all who need or want one, have a good day

Weight 08 February 86kg
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 95,309 Thanks
    Tru when Bailey & Cassie stayed, if Mr LW was at work, I used to take them out to the back garden, set up the little outdoor table and a chair, get a mug of coffee, and spend a good half hour with a tennis racket hitting tennis balls for them to chase. We would take them out as in off the premises for a walk after Mr LW got home and could help, as they were too much for me to walk on their leads by myself. They had a grand time, and got loads of exercise; as long as Scampi is enjoying his exercise, in whatever form it takes, you have nothing to berate yourself for. In fact if he seems happier playing with you in the garden during the day, I'd be inclined to stick with that regime. Give the little guy a cuddle for me.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,605Posts Today

5,563Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin