Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • safp888
    • By safp888 10th Oct 16, 12:07 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    safp888
    MOT Advisory Notes
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:07 AM
    MOT Advisory Notes 10th Oct 16 at 12:07 AM
    Hey all,

My 09 Ford Fiesta (65k miles on the clock) has passed the MOT. However, there are quite a few advisory checks. Most of them are cosmetic and self-explanatory, but I need someone to clarify a couple of them:

• Both lower arm ball joint boot splitting £445
    • Slight play in o, s, f rack drumstick £247

Please can someone explain in lame terms what that means? Are they urgent and are the price quotes fair?

Thanks!
Page 2
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 14th Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Thanks for your replies. What about the other issue (Slight play in o, s, f rack drumstick)? Is it worth doing? Is the price fair? Could it last me for another year until the next mot?

My plan was to leave the car as it is until July-August time, and then sell the car and get a new one. I don't want to invest all this money into an old car. Cam belt is up for renewal next year too, so not sure if it's worth fixing it.

There are other issues as well, like the wing mirrors (case is broken) and other bits and bobs. The total advisory bill is £1.1k. Obviously it's over priced, but keep in mind that I need to change the cam belt too. So is it worth investing £1k in a car that's worth less than £2k?

It's got 65,000 miles on the clock - base model 09 Ford Fiesta.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by safp888

Assuming by 'drumstick' they're referring to the inner steering tie/track rod (they are reminiscent of a drumstick to look at, so are often called that by people who either know no better or wish to obscure the meaning for others), they're available for less than £30 (for a decent Lemforder item) and should take no more than half an hour to fit. £247 sounds a bit salty to me.

Context: both inner tie rods replaced on my Volvo V70 at MOT time cost me £60 in labour as the parts (which I'd paid less than £50 for, for a pair) were already in the boot from where I'd purchased them after the advisory on the PREVIOUS MOT. They didn't need replacing even a year later, but since the car was in the garage and it'd save me doing it myself, I asked them to do it, as much as anything to stop the bloody things rattling about in the boot.
    • safp888
    • By safp888 14th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    safp888
    Thanks, so I guess it will last me another year then. I'll then probably sell it
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 14th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Thanks, so I guess it will last me another year then. I'll then probably sell it
    Originally posted by safp888
    It might do, but don't assume just because mine did that yours will. Depends on the quality of the original parts (unless they've already been replaced in the past) and how bad the issue is.
    • safp888
    • By safp888 14th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    safp888
    Yes I know, I'll get it checked by an independent garage before Christmas and see if it got worse.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

546Posts Today

3,536Users online

Martin's Twitter