Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 10th Oct 16, 12:05 AM
    • 2,213Posts
    • 1,912Thanks
    Richard53
    Giving way on a hill
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:05 AM
    Giving way on a hill 10th Oct 16 at 12:05 AM
    Where I live, there are a lot of hills. Many of the roads are narrow, with 'pinch points' where if two vehicles meet, one must give way. As a learner back in the mediaeval period, I was taught that the vehicle going downhill should (all other things being equal) give way to the vehicle coming up the hill. The basis for this was that it is always easier to get going downhill from a standstill than to move off uphill. I was told it originated in the days of horse and cart, but was applicable to motor traffic to a smaller degree.

A lot of folk either haven't heard of this or ignore it. Is it still taught, or are modern cars deemed so advanced that it is no longer necessary? This isn't a rant; I would genuinely like to know. Most people round me seem to apply the rule 'who gets there first goes first', regardless of the gradient. I always try to anticipate and will give way to uphill traffic, but am I just stuck in the past?
    If all misfortunes were laid in one common heap whence everyone must take an equal portion, most people would be contented to take their own and depart. (Attrib. to Socrates)
Page 1
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 10th Oct 16, 1:30 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:30 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:30 AM
    Just another example of the lack of courtesy/consideration for others theses days

Quite right about giving way to vehicles coming uphill IMO.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 10th Oct 16, 6:57 AM
    • 925 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    loskie
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:57 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:57 AM
    see rule 155

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Oct 16, 7:21 AM
    • 12,698 Posts
    • 7,989 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:21 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:21 AM
    I wouldn't be stopping at every bay going down hill. Modern cars are capable of stopping and starting on a hill without any problems so going up a hill I don't expect everybody to pull over and going down a hill I expect to be able to make progress at the same rate as those coming the other way
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 10th Oct 16, 7:35 AM
    • 4,846 Posts
    • 4,258 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:35 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:35 AM
    I hate single track road because people don't know how to use them. The most common thing that bugs me are people (and this is usually women) stop just before the passing place so they can see the space in front of them but the back of their car is still in the narrow part of the road causing a blockage.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 11,451 Posts
    • 15,320 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    I was always taught that vehicles going downhill should give way to those going up.

Given that traffic levels on single track roads are usually pretty low, it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

With regard to Rule 155, I wish more people would take notice of the bit in bold...

Rule 155
    Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 10th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    Common sense apples, size of vehicle, location of passing places, steepness of hill all need to be weighed up. If there were no other considerations then I'd use the uphill rule but I wouldn't demand it.

Having driven a 28ft long wide RV down lanes to access campsites I can assassination you there are times when regardless I'm not going back for a car, regardless of where hills and passing places are.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 10th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 3,556 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    Common sense apples, size of vehicle, location of passing places, steepness of hill all need to be weighed up. If there were no other considerations then I'd use the uphill rule but I wouldn't demand it.

Having driven a 28ft long wide RV down lanes to access campsites I can assassination you there are times when regardless I'm not going back for a car, regardless of where hills and passing places are.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    You'd rather kill someone than give way to them?
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 10th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 925 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    loskie
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    so ianspencer you are admitting to being unable to drive the large vehicle on country roads?
    Perhaps some further training is required, a smaller vehicle or choose a route that you can manage.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 10th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    You expect modern drivers to have the foggiest idea of their surroundings, ie that they might be on a hill in the presence of other traffic and more amazingly you expect them to use some common sense or put some thought into their driving?

These would be the same drivers who enter a motorway in their 200hp car, and proceed along the acceleration lane at precisely 55 mph, when they get to the end of that acceleration lane they miraculously discover some swine of a lorry driver in the brightest yellow artic ever seen has deliberately (of course hence a swine) been running alongside them at 55 mph with two lanes full of traffic beside him in the middle and outside lanes, and a travelling gap of 400 yards in front of him because he doesn't tailgate...hmm 400 yard gap 200hp, lets think.

Upon finally noticing said lorry appear just at the end of the slip road and amazingly it hasn't been hoisted out of their majestic procession by a passing Chinook, they have to brake hard, this is quickly followed by acceleration Lewis Hamilton couldn't match so they can overtake and come alongside the lorry, make all sorts of signs and gestures at the driver, and then pull in front of the lorry and test out a 44 tonners brakes!!!

And you really expect suicidal lemmings like that to judge the finer points of driving etiquette regarding hills?

Sorry but its all over bar the shouting out there, driving standards in all sort of vehicle have dropped to an abysmal level and i see no sign of courtesy and common sense returning any time soon.
    Last edited by gilbert and sullivan; 10-10-2016 at 8:53 AM.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 10th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 29,908 Thanks
    peter_the_piper

Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Don't you just love predictive text.
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 14,875 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I give way to things coming uphill as they can't see to reverse. I can.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    It's still being taught by some driving instructors. I was taught only just over 3 years ago, and I was told about this courtesy rule. Not everyone knows it though as exampled by a diver in a BMW in the lakes who persisted in coming down even though 6 cars behind him were waiting further back at the start of Honister Pass. I'd gone as far to the left as I was prepared to go he decided to keep going, so I put my handbrake on (a foot parking brake in an E class) and he caught a point in my wheel arch, scratching the whole length of his (leased car). He got out of the car shouting at me saying that I had caught him.

I asked him how I had managed that since my handbrake was on so I wasn't moving. I told him he should have waited where the others had waited where there was a verge that I could have pulled on to rather than try and park my car in a wall. Two of his passengers also got out, so I stayed in the car until the passengers got back in. I wasn't going to get in a confrontation with 3 people at once. Got out to exchange details he gave me a finger signal and drove off. His damage was self inflicted, a point I made to my insurance company when I reported the incident for information complete with dashcam footage. He did try and make a claim. He didn't get anywhere. I had no damage at all. Not even a bit of paint.

Insurance company's opinion was that he should have given way since I was going uphill on a single track road, and that my dashcam footage demonstrated that he hit me, not the other way around.
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 5,050 Posts
    • 3,211 Thanks
    stator
    Reversing up a hill in an automatic is a lot harder than reversing down a hill!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Reversing up a hill in an automatic is a lot harder than reversing down a hill!
    Originally posted by stator
    Got that backwards? Reversing up a hill in an auto is simple, pop it into R and lift your foot from the brake and it will hold/creep uphill depending on how steep it is.

Then apply the throttle if its too slow. Whats hard in that? Reversing down = no engine braking though.

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 10th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    so ianspencer you are admitting to being unable to drive the large vehicle on country roads?
    Perhaps some further training is required, a smaller vehicle or choose a route that you can manage.
    Originally posted by loskie
    There are plenty of vehicles that are difficult to manoeuvre and with limited visibility it is considerably less safe to reverse than drive forward. It is not a case of being unable, it is a case of being unwise if there is another option.

RVs are not well-designed vehicles, in this case it was a 5 tonne vehicle based on a Sprinter. Take a look at the rear overhang and the ground clearance of the tow bar. 28 foot long, so what is at the back is a lot further away than what is at the front. Also it was built out for width (check where the wheels are in relation to the body) nearly 3 metres wide, so it's simply a matter of having less tarmac to deal with while needing more to turn because of the length.

When you drive a vehicle that size, you are committed, you can't turn it round if you get it wrong and there are plenty of roads you cannot go down.

https://goo.gl/photos/YQKAFq1CDmcxxxDF8

No animals or people were hurt in the driving of the vehicle.
    Last edited by IanMSpencer; 10-10-2016 at 2:48 PM.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    The things is if people bother to look beyond the end of their bumper, you can often judge things so no one has to wait for long, if at all. On certain roads, a wait is inevitable, and being a firm believer in carma (see what I did there!) I will always give priority to cars going up hill or if any obstruction is on my side of the road.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 10th Oct 16, 5:25 PM
    • 3,658 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Don't you just love predictive text.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    Don't you find it slightly worrying that, now most predictive text is adaptive and learns your likely word choices, IanMSpencer must be texting about assassinations a lot for it to be his phone's first pick

eta: No Mr spencer, Sir, I didn't notice that. I noticed nothing. Absolutely nothing. In fact, I've never even been on the MSE forum in my life. What's MSE? What's a forum? Internet? Not me, never heard of it.....
    Last edited by Joe Horner; 10-10-2016 at 5:29 PM.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 10th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    20aday
    I've only been driving the last eight years but I've always given way to traffic coming up hill (where possible and safe to do so).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 10th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 18,845 Posts
    • 13,529 Thanks
    Hintza
    My pet hate is the lack of courtesy. You know the road, see car a distance away and pull in and wait sometimes for 30 seconds plus and they breeze by without a wave of thanks.
    Dis tyd om op te staan!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter