Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lorry72
    • By Lorry72 9th Oct 16, 10:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lorry72
    Estate agent process with joint owned property
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:27 PM
    Estate agent process with joint owned property 9th Oct 16 at 10:27 PM
    Hi all.
    Some time ago when I was still with my ex he chose to change estate agents.The new estate agent did an Id check on him but not on me and proceeded to market the property.
    On top of this they were instructed sometime later to cease marketing the property which they duely did,however unbeknown to us put the property back on the market.
    Now my ex is being taken to small claims court by them.
    Before I write to the court please could someone confirm estate agents process when taking on a joint owned joint mortgage property.
    Thank you in advance
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 37,092 Posts
    • 41,049 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    What claim are they making via the court?

And if your ex is being taken to court, on what authority are you planning to write to the court?

Do you have a copy of the contract with the EA? I suspect the validity of their claim (whatever it is) will depend on the contract.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th Oct 16, 12:23 AM
    • 3,859 Posts
    • 3,491 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:23 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:23 AM
    As G_M says, it's almost certainly a contractual issue.

Presumably the EA is saying that your ex entered into a contract which means your ex now owes the EA money.

If you want to challenge the EA's claim, it would have to be on the basis of something like:

- Your ex didn't enter into a contract with the EA, or
    - The contract does not require your ex to pay the money to the EA, or
    - The EA breached the contract so seriously that the contract is rescinded

What fee is the EA claiming is due? A withdrawal fee? A fee for introducing a ready willing and able buyer?

(Joint ownership and mortgage isn't really relevant to your argument. If your ex instructed the EA without getting consent from a joint owner, the court will probably just think your ex is a bit foolish.)
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 10th Oct 16, 1:15 AM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:15 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:15 AM
    If you didn't enter into the contract with the EA then it's not anything to do with you. They will have a reason for taking him to court, almost certainly related to the contract he signed. He possibly signed something saying he was dole owner or had the authority to sell or agreed to a fee if withdrawing the property from their book and hasn't paid it. Without knowing we can't comment further but I don't think anyone's clear on what you would be writing to the court about, are you involved in his defense?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

456Posts Today

3,387Users online

Martin's Twitter