Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 9th Oct 16, 9:32 PM
    • 3,317Posts
    • 3,669Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Changing supplier could affect your credit rating
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:32 PM
    Changing supplier could affect your credit rating 9th Oct 16 at 9:32 PM
    I've just seen a episode of Rip off Britain which featured someone who regularly changes his energy supplier.

This time he changed to NPower I believe. However, they did 2 hard credit searches on him and that resulted in him being rejected for a credit card a few weeks later.

They said that 3 companies do hard credit searches at the moment, NPower, British Gas and Eon, from what I can remember.

I just thought I'd warn anyone who might be affected.

I have also posted this on the Credit Card and Credit Rating board.
    Last edited by SuzieSue; 10-10-2016 at 9:54 AM.
Page 1
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 9th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    I've just seen a episode of Rip off Britain which featured someone who regularly changes his energy supplier.

This time he changed to NPower I believe. However, they did 2 hard credit searches on him and that resulted in him being rejected for a credit card a few weeks later.

They said that 3 companies do hard credit searches at the moment, NPower, British Gas and Eon, from what I can remember.

I just thought I'd warn anyone who might be affected.

I have also posted this on the Credit Card board.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue

Energy suppliers should be banned from having a relationship with CRAs, for this and other reasons. British Gas are the worst offenders for abusing the credit reporting system. Npower come a close second, but with them it's mostly down to incompetence rather than malicious intent.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 9th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 3,317 Posts
    • 3,669 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    Energy suppliers should be banned from having a relationship with CRAs, for this and other reasons. British Gas are the worst offenders for abusing the credit reporting system. Npower come a close second, but with them it's mostly down to incompetence rather than malicious intent.
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    Yes, totally agree. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. We are all encouraged to change energy provider and then something like this can happen. They should be able to do credit checks but they shouldn't be allowed to affect your rating.
    Last edited by SuzieSue; 09-10-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,279Posts Today

6,071Users online

Martin's Twitter