Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CluelessNonGardener
    • By CluelessNonGardener 9th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CluelessNonGardener
    0 WOW
    Dynamically packaged holidays
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    0 WOW
    Dynamically packaged holidays 9th Oct 16 at 9:16 PM
    Can anyone shed any light on whether a traditional package offers more protection than a "dynamically" packaged holiday?

I'm thinking of booking my next holiday through one of the big name travel agents for a bit of winter sun, however a trend that I've noticed is "dynamic" packaging where the flight/hotel offering is done by a third party. I am beginning to wonder if the protection is actually worth the paper it is written on in this case?

Have been browsing packages with Thomas Cook, and I've noticed some of their packages are offered as a Flexible Trips type package, which seems to incorporate use of third party suppliers, rather than just offering a package in the traditional sense. I'm a little wary of what that implies as I'm not sure if Thomas Cook would actually be responsible for a problem with flights operated by a third party for example?

I will say though that I'm comfortable enough with the idea of having a lack of protection if it is likely to reduce cost. I have typically gone on city break type holidays to destinations where packaged holidays are simply not an option, so although I have travelled, I'm less familiar with what to expect when visiting somewhere popular.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 17,134 Posts
    • 6,889 Thanks
    richardw
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:53 PM
    If you want the benefits of the package travel regulations, book a true package holiday.
    If you want the benefits of the ATOL scheme book a flight+hotel or flight+car combination.
    If you want the benefits of EU reg 261:2004 book flights on an EU based operating air carrier.

Where in the UK are you?
    Last edited by richardw; 09-10-2016 at 9:55 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • CluelessNonGardener
    • By CluelessNonGardener 9th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CluelessNonGardener
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    Where in the UK are you?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Based in Scotland.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 10th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 816 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    Involving a 3rd party doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a package. A proper dynamic package is a true package. It's no different to a tailor made package. It doesn't matter if the agent or tour operator buys from separate suppliers. Everything is booked in one transaction, and is sold at an inclusive price. Flexible Trips are packages, just tailor made ones which offer more flexibility than buying an off the shelf package with no choice of airline, flight times etc.

Before flight plus ie flight and accommodation or flight and car hire booked either at the same time through the same agent, or within 24 hours of each other, most online agents sold dynamic bundles which weren't protected. The majority of online agents now hold an Atol and usually sell flight plus, not packages.

Both packages and flight plus are Atol protected, but only packages are covered under the Package Regs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

223Posts Today

3,064Users online

Martin's Twitter