Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• MrsRogers
    • By MrsRogers 9th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 622Posts
    • 2,854Thanks
    Gifts for family
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    Gifts for family 9th Oct 16 at 8:13 PM
    Hi al,

DH and I have been reviewing our finances and totter up on what we have been spending on gifts for family. We have cut back somewhat as we buy for both sets of parents, nieces, nephews & godchildren only.

We have a budget for them but not sure if it's to little / excessive.
    We have no children of our own so feel if we cut to much people will think we are tight

Each niece, nephew, god child gets £15 each per birthday & xmas (there are 9 in total so it mounts up)
    Each parent gets £40 per birthday & xmas. They ruin us so this one we don't mind.

What do you all spend and any ideas on how to cut back.
    2016 we are moving house so tightened belts are required.

I Quit Smoking March 2010
Page 2
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 14,795 Posts
    • 87,324 Thanks
    No giving or receiving gifts at all now. Do I miss, no..if I want to give someone something I do it there and then, not when the world tells me to.
    Originally posted by scaredlady

I like to do that too. If I see something that would be perfect for a friend I'll buy it as a 'saw this and thought of you present'. Nothing pricey or something they could get anywhere/anytime but perhaps from a charity shop or TKMaxx. I also like to take flowers when I visit people through the year.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 1,334 Thanks
    I have made cut backs this year, as started with my nephew and cousins son 7 years ago. Right now it's it's my niece and nephew, cousins have 4 between them. I am reducing this to a selection box each for my cousins kids to have more for niece and nephew. Birthdays always will be £5 but niece and nephew a bit more obviously.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 13th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 534 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    My parents who are in their eighties requested a few years ago that we should stop buying presents for each other at Christmas as it was getting too stressful. My nephews are in their thirties as are my sons, so these days I only buy for my two sons, my granddaughter who is not a year old yet, and my OH, as well as small gifts for a couple of friends. In practice, I still give my parents a couple of nice foodie gifts as a treat. It is so much more relaxing all round these days. Our philosophy is that being with each other is more important at Christmas than presents.
    • ThomasMJacobs
    • By ThomasMJacobs 14th Oct 16, 11:37 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    I did the same as SuzieSue, It works better that way!
    • ThomasMJacobs
    • By ThomasMJacobs 14th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    I completely agree with you ibizzafan. the whole gifting thing can be quite stressful sometimes!
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 14th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 3,234 Posts
    • 3,531 Thanks
    I did the same as SuzieSue, It works better that way!
    Originally posted by ThomasMJacobs
    Yes, isn't it great not to worry about presents at Christmas? I really look forward to Christmas now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,019Posts Today

6,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • To those asking "its not just Santander 123 cutting rates others are too?" that's what the blog analyses.. Pls share

• Santander 123 halves its interest rate from 3% to 1.5% next Tue. Should you ditch it? My new analysis... Pls share

• Bounts seems to have totally shifted its model today. MSE will be investigating exactly what this means and report back next week

• Follow Martin